15 янв. 2011 г.

The Last Station

& Vladimir Chertkov: ... But sex... You are 23. Not an easy age for abstinence, is it? Tolstoy does not approve of sexual relations.
    Valentin Bulgakov: I know this.
    Chertkov: He despises* them, in fact. Well, I don't mean to belabor* the point, but last summer I arranged for a manservant who proceeded to ruin two housemaids, just like that. He was very upset.
    Valentin: This would not be a problem with me. I'm a vegetarian. Uh, I am celibate. Uh, I'm also a vegetarian.


& Valentin: ... Vladimir Grigorevich told me all about it. He says that you say that all the world's religions share common truths. It's very exciting.
    Tolstoy: No, one truth. One single organizing principle. And can you guess what that is?
    Valentin: Um... Eh?
    Tolstoy: Love. Love. Simple.


& Tolstoy: Yeah, but I want to talk about you. How are you? And how was your journey? Come, sit down. I was born on that sofa... No, no, sit, sit! Myself, my brother, my children, five or six of them, at least. Right here.


& Sofya Tolstaya: Oh, Leovochka, why do you insist on dressing like that?
    Tolstoy: What do you mean, like what?
    Sofya: Like a man who looks after the sheep!
    Tolstoy: It wasn't meant to offend you.
    Sofya: You're a count, for God's sake!


& Sofya: It's a diary. You know, everyone should always keep a diary.
    Valentin: Yes, it's a very popular activity around here...
    Sofya: I trust you'll write the truth.
    Valentin: Well, that may not be so easy.
    Sofya: Oh, nonsense. ...just write what you see around you. What you see.


& Tolstoy: I had a dream last night, about a Tartar girl I knew in the war.
    Valentin: A girl who died?
    Tolstoy: No, no, no. Just a girl I had sexual intercourse with.
    Valentin: Oh?
    Tolstoy: Sometimes, we did it twice a day. ... God bless you. I've never forgotten our time together... The positions of our bodies, and the taste of her...
    Valentin: It was a long time ago. Really, you mustn't torture yourself.
    Tolstoy: Torture? You are a virgin, aren't you?
    Valentin: Well, I try to be. I mean, I try to be...
    Tolstoy: To what, to be a good Tolstoyan? Let me assure you that I'm not a very good Tolstoyan myself. You should think twice before asking my advice on anything. "Torture"...


& Masha: You're happy.
    Valentin: Well, of course I am. Love and be loved. That's the only reality there is in the world.
    Masha: He said that?
    Valentin: Yes, Tolstoy said it, but I'm saying it. I'm saying it, Masha, because you make me know it. I look into your eyes and I can see the future.


& Chertkov: If I had a wife like you, I would've blown my brains out! Or gone to America.


& Sofya: We've just had a disagreement, like all married couples.
    Tolstoy: Despite good cause for it, I have never stopped loving you.
    Sofya: Of course.
    Tolstoy: But God knows you don't make it easy.
    Sofya: Why should it be easy? I am the work of your life, you're the work of mine. That's what love is.


& Masha: When I read his confession, it moved me, Valya. When he was searching for freedom. Freedom from anger, freedom from attachment, freedom from all the superstition and the nonsense of the Church. I mean, it moved me so much.And that's what I thought it would be about. I mean, isn't that what it's about? Freedom and love? They mix it all up.


& Valentin: They have a whole life together. Why do you have to deny that?
    Chertkov: You have become a victim of her romantic nonsense. And you willfully forget that she wants to destroy everything we do. She travels here with that unctuous* little priest.
    Valentin: We'll keep the priest away...
    Chertkov: These people are vultures*, Valentin. And they wait to descend till the very last moment to welcome him back to the Church. This is their fantasy. {...} A deathbed recantation*. Do you have any idea the damage that that will do? Everything that he has dreamed of, everything that we have worked for will be gone. A simple, noble death is what we want. That's what he wants.
    Valentin: No, you want to create an icon. And you want people to kneel in front of an image that you create. But he doesn't want that. He never has wanted that. It'll give him no peace... He wants to see her. Let her come.
    Chertkov: I will do everything in my power to prevent that.
    Valentin: That image you want to create, it's going to look more like you than him.


& Sofya: You don't speak, but I hear you. Do you love me, Leovochka?.. I never stopped, my little bird. And you will never stop?.. No. Never. Nor ever leave me again? No, never again.



-- Dict:
despise — презирать
belabor — осыпать бранью; колотить
unctuous — елейный
vultures — стервятники
recantation — отречение; публичное покаяние



+ on Imdb.

The Last Station

.. Как неоднозначно, не прямолинейно, нехрестоматийно там у них, в Ясной Поляне, всё было.

_ Грустная история, грустная. Ну точно что "Все счастливые семьи похожи друг на друга, каждая несчастливая семья несчастлива по-своему."

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий