10 сент. 2013 г.

The Great Gatsby

& Nick: In my younger and more vulnerable years... my father gave me some advice. “Always try to see the best in people,” he would say. As a consequence, I’m inclined to reserve all judgments. But even I have a limit.

& Nick: Back then, all of us drank too much. The more in tune with the times we were... the more we drank. And none of us contributed anything new.

& Nick: ...New York. In the summer of 1922 the tempo of the city approached hysteria. Stocks reached record peaks and Wall Street boomed in a steady golden roar. The parties were bigger. The shows were broader. The buildings were higher. The morals were looser and the ban on alcohol had backfired making the liquor cheaper. Wall Street was luring the young and ambitious. And I was one of them.

& Tom: Have you read The Rise of the Colored Empires by this fellow Goddard? Everybody ought to read it. The idea is that it’s up to us, the dominant race to watch out or these other races will have control of things.
    Daisy: Tom’s very profound lately. He reads deep books with long words in them.

& Daisy: I asked the nurse if it was a boy or a girl. And she said it was a girl and I wept: “I’m glad it’s a girl. And I hope she’ll be a fool. That’s the best thing a girl in this world can be. A beautiful little fool.” All the bright, precious things fade so fast.

& Gatsby: Look here, old sport. What is your opinion of me, anyhow?


& Gatsby: You think it’s too much?
    Nick: Uh, I think it’s what you want.
    Gatsby: I think so too.

& Daisy: It’s so grand.
    Gatsby: You like it?
    Daisy: I love it. But how do you live here... all alone?
    Gatsby: Well, I don’t. I keep it always full of interesting, celebrated people.

& Daisy: I wish I’d done everything on earth with you. All my life. I wish it could always be like this.

& Daisy: I wish we could just run away...
    Gatsby: Run away? No. Daisy, darling, that— That wouldn’t be respectable.

& Nick: Jay. You can’t repeat the past.
    Gatsby: Can’t repeat the past? No. Why, of course you can. Of course you can. I’m gonna fix things... just the way they were before. Everything’s been so confused since then. I...

& Nick: Gatsby believed in the green light... the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that’s no matter. Tomorrow, we will run faster... stretch out our arms farther... and one fine morning... So we beat on boats against the current... borne back... ceaselessly... into the past.

--
+ quotes on the IMDb

+ Soundtrack

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий