21 мар. 2022 г.

The Electrical Life of Louis Wain (2021)

Louis Wain: Miss Richardson?
Emily Richardson: Yes?
Louis Wain: When it comes to drawing, there's only really one rule you ever need to teach. It's to look.

Emily Richardson-Wain: Just when I was starting to enjoy it...

Louis Wain: We have a new friend. He's called Peter.
Herbert Railton: Peter?
Louis Wain: He's a cat. We have a cat now.
Herbert Railton: For mousing, you mean?
Louis Wain: No, Herb, as a pet.
Herbert Railton: Okay, Louis, I'm worried about you.
Louis Wain: Why?
Herbert Railton: You have a cat as a pet.

Louis Wain: Do you know the true meaning of the phrase, "There's no time like the present," Herb? It's that there isn't. It's too fleeting. In fact, I have a hypothesis that electricity is what pushes us through time. We turn the past into the future with the power of our electricity. But that process is entirely reversible. Remembering the past is no different from imagining the future. And neither is different to life itself. I can remember Emily in the future and she will be there. Do you see what I'm saying, Herb? Do you see what I'm saying?

Louis Wain: But these don't capture the spirit of the fight, Sir William.
Sir William Ingram: Yes, they do. That's why they're in vogue. They're fast, they're cheap and they're 100% accurate. Louis Wain: But where is the electricity?

Sir William Ingram: I have two pages earmarked in the Christmas edition. Reserved for a bit of festive frivolity. Something to raise the spirits of our readers. I'd like you to fill them with cats.
Louis Wain: With... cats?
Sir William Ingram: Yes. With cats.
Louis Wain: Don't you think perhaps a spread of silly dogs would be more appealing for your readership?
Sir William Ingram: I've seen dogs before. And you capture something of the cat, Louis. Perhaps because you yourself are a bit of a renegade. An outcast, dare I say.

Sir William Ingram: How you've managed to conjure images of such delight at such a dark time... I don't know.

Emily Richardson-Wain: Throughout history, cats have been worshipped as mystical gods and maligned as the evil allies of witchery and sin. But I think you're the first person ever to see that they are in fact ridiculous. They're silly and cuddly. And lonely. And frightened and brave. Like us... One day, I don't think it'll be so peculiar to have a cat in the house as a little pet.

Louis Wain: Sometimes... I think about the day you won't be here... and... I have to say, Emily, I find it intolerably difficult to imagine. I will be so very alone.

Louis Wain: I don't know why it is that I find it so very difficult just being here on this earth, but... I can say with absolute certainty that you have made it much, much better. You make the world beautiful... and warm and kind. I just wanted to say thank you for that before it's too late.

Emily Richardson-Wain: I don't make the world beautiful, Louis. The world is beautiful. And you've helped me to see that too. Just remember... however hard things get... however much you feel like you're struggling... the world is full of beauty. And it's up to you to capture it, Louis. To look. And to share it with as many people as you can. You are a prism. Through which that beam of life refracts.

Louis Wain: I didn't copyright the images...

Dr. Elphick: Mr Wain, there is no question that you are delusional.

Mrs. Wain: You can run away from your family, Louis. You cannot run away from your grief. It trails you. Like a violent shadow.


+ Quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий