10 апр. 2020 г.

Official Secrets (2019)

Tony Blair: [on TV] What we know, is that Saddam has this material.
Katharine Gun: You don't know that. I mean, he just keeps repeating the lie. Well, just because you're the prime minister, it doesn't mean you get to make up your own facts.

Jasmine: Kat, you're asking me to collude in a breach of the official secrets act. Some call that treason.

Roger Alton: Brighty, where's my piece comparing Saddam to Milosevic? I need 400 words.
Martin Bright: Yeah. It's not really a 400-word topic, Rog.
Roger Alton: Yeah, it is. We were right to intervene in the Balkans. We should do the same in Iraq.
Martin Bright: Iraq's a little more complicated. You've got Sunni and Shia—
Roger Alton: Oh, fuck Sonny & Cher! What is this? "I got you, babe"? Just give me 400 words the average reader will understand. Milosevic bad. Saddam bad. Just write the fucking story. Stop overthinking it.

Peter Beaumont: If this is real, you could go to jail just for having it in your possession.

MI6 Agent: You know I can't answer that. To do so would put me in breach of the official secrets act.
Peter Beaumont: To deny it would not.
MI6 Agent: Well... I can neither confirm nor deny.

Rear-Admiral Nick Wilkinson: Is this document actually in your possession?
Martin Bright: Well, if it were, I'd be in breach of the official secrets act, wouldn't I?

Rear-Admiral Nick Wilkinson: You know, Martin, I believe that all information collected in the name of the public should be made public. The only question is, when? ... I have also always believed that censorship, when called for, should be based on security issues alone. Not on whether a news report might embarrass a government.

Fiona Bygate: If you know anything or suspect anyone, it is your sworn duty to speak up. If you do not and you are found to have withheld information of any kind, you will be charged with a breach of the official secrets act.

Katharine Gun: I did it. It was me.


Katharine Gun: Governments change. I work for the British people. I gather intelligence so that the government can protect the British people. I do not gather intelligence so that the government can lie to the British people.

Ben Emmerson: In fact, by leaking information to try and stop a war, I'd argue that you chose loyalty to your country over loyalty to your government, your marriage and yourself. You had nothing to gain and everything to lose.
Katharine Gun: ...
Shami Chakrabarti: He's trying to give you a compliment.

Shami Chakrabarti: Public interest? The public has a right to know when their government is lying. We cite the Falklands case when Thatcher lied about why she ordered the sinking of that... That Argentinian ship.
Ben Emmerson: Belgrano. Yeah.
Shami Chakrabarti: Who was the whistleblower?
Ben Emmerson: Clive Ponting.
James Welch: The jury acquitted him, didn't they?
Ben Emmerson: Yes, and immediately afterwards Thatcher had the official secrets act amended to avoid being caught in a lie in the future. So since '89, the public interest is effectively whatever the government says that it is.
James Welch: We've got nothing.

Katharine Gun: I'm not sorry that I tried to stop him. I'm not. I'm only sorry that I failed.

Tintin: When you signed on to work for GCHQ, you agreed to be bound by the official secrets act for the rest of your life.

Katharine Gun: Are you saying I can't talk to a lawyer?
Tintin: Oh, you have the right to talk to a lawyer. It's just that you cannot discuss anything to do with your work at GCHQ. Or the contents of the memo you leaked or how it came into your possession or who wrote it. All of this information is top-secret. So disclosing it to anyone outside of GCHQ, even a lawyer, would be a further violation of the official secrets act, which could result in further prosecution and a much longer prison sentence.

Tintin: Simply put, if you wish to tell anything to a lawyer or the press or anyone else, you first need to clear it with GCHQ.

Shami Chakrabarti: I'm sorry. We... we would be conceding that no one in intelligence can ever tell the British people when their government is lying.
James Welch: Not when the lies are protected by the official secrets act, no.

Clerk: "Katharine Teresa Gun, you are charged with an offence contrary to section 1, subsection 1 of the official secrets act of 1989.
In that between January 30th and march 2nd of 2003 you did knowingly and intentionally disclose top-secret intelligence information contrary to the said act. How do you plead? Guilty or not guilty?

--
+ Quotes on the IMDb
+ Soundtracks

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий