18 сент. 2014 г.

Method and Madness

The Knick 1×1

Pilot

& Dr. Thackery: I don’t want faster. I enjoy waiting.

& Dr. Thackery: We’ll solve it.
    Dr. Christiansen: How many more, Thack?
    Dr. Thackery: «And many strokes, though with a little axe, hew down and fell the hardest timbered oak...»
    Dr. Christiansen: Thus spake Thack the Wise.

& Dr. Thackery: Those windmills ... were created by men to turn grindstones that transformed the Earth’s bounty into flour. From such humble beginnings grew the astonishing modern world in which we now live. We cannot conquer the mountains, but our railroads now run through them with ease. We cannot defeat the river, but we can bend it to our will and dam it for our own purposes. We now live in a time of endless possibility. More has been learned about the treatment of the human body in the last five years than was learned in the previous 500. 20 years ago, 39 was the number of years a man could expect from his life. Today, it is more than 47... Eventually the train tunnels will crumble. The dams will be overrun. Our patients’ hearts will all stop their beating. But we humans can get in a few good licks in battle before we surrender.

& Dr. Thackery: Mr. Gentile, don’t you know never to quarrel with a streetcar? I’ve never known a man to beat one yet... Next time, take on one of those horseless carriages. Much better odds.


& Health Inspector Speight: No windows, no ventilation, no sunlight inside, no running water. A breeding ground for disease. That’s why the new laws were passed. I can compel you to make any and all structural changes to your property I deem necessary to protect the public.
    Houseowner: That will cost a fortune. I’m a businessman.
    Speight: Blame Lister’s microscope and Riis’ camera. The New York City Health Department is just doing its job.

& Dr. Thackery: I am certainly not interested in an integrated hospital staff.
    Dr. Edwards: My skin color shouldn’t matter.
    Dr. Thackery: Well, if it doesn’t matter, then why was that information held back from me?.. It’s also nowhere to be found on your credentials.
    Dr. Edwards: Is your race listed on yours?
    Dr. Thackery: There’s no need for it to be.

& Dr. Edwards: In London and in Paris, I was treated as an equal. And I have no doubt...
    Dr. Thackery: This is New York. This is not London or Paris. You can only run away and join the circus if the circus wants you. I don’t want you in my circus.

& Dr. Thackery: I’m not interested in leading the charge in mixing the races... Just as a shopkeeper would never stock an item on his shelves no customer would buy, I would not employ a surgeon no patient will agree to have operate them.

& Dr. Thackery: Are you going to stand there and honestly tell me that the way out of our financial troubles is to hire a Negro surgeon?

& Dr. Chickering: Welcome to the Knick.

& Nurse Elkins: Cocaine? How much? I don’t want to kill you.
    Dr. Thackery: A touch more than 22.

& Dr. Thackery: Gentlemen, atomizers on. Everyone scrubbed, washed, cleansed, deloused, purified by God?

& Dr. Edwards: He’s a madman.
    Dr. Thackery: «Though this is madness, yet there is method in it.»

--
+ quotes on the IMDb

Σ A doctor with addiction? Is this something new? Or we already were there? Another time, same drill.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий