27 мая 2021 г.

The Philadelphia Story (1940)

Dinah Lord: This stinks.
Margaret Lord: Don't say "stinks," darling. If absolutely necessary, "smells." But only if absolutely necessary.

Margaret Lord: Tracy sets exceptionally high standards for herself, that's all. And other people aren't always quite apt to live up to them.

Macaulay Connor: I don't think you're being fair to me, Mr. Kidd.
Sidney Kidd: No?
Macaulay Connor: No. You're treating me like you treat all your other writers.
Sidney Kidd: You really hate me, don't you, Connor?
Macaulay Connor: No. I don't like you very much though.
Sidney Kidd: You hate me, I trust, Miss Imbrie?
Elizabeth Imbrie: No, I... I can't afford to hate anybody. I'm only a photographer.

Sidney Kidd: Your assignment will be Spy's most sensational achievement... Tracy Lord. Big game hunting in Africa, fox hunting in Pennsylvania... Married on impulse and divorced in a rage. And always unapproachable by the press. "The Unapproachable Miss Lord..." "The Philadelphia Story."

Macaulay Connor: The south parlor? Miss Imbrie, the south parlor... The queen will have bread and honey at the usual time.

Elizabeth Imbrie: Seems a little cold for the south parlor.
Macaulay Connor: I'd rather expected to find pickaninnies and banjos.

Elizabeth Imbrie: What's this room? I forgot my compass.
Macaulay Connor: Well, this would be south-southwest parlor-by-living-room.

Elizabeth Imbrie: Knickknacks, gimcracks, signed photographs... Wouldn't you know you'd have to be as rich as the Lords to live in a dump like this?
Macaulay Connor: I wouldn't live in it if they paid me.
Elizabeth Imbrie: They won't.

Macaulay Connor: Look. How do you like this? "Living room. Sitting room. Terrace. Pool. Stables."
Elizabeth Imbrie: That's probably so they can talk to the horses without having them in the house.

Macaulay Connor: Now, about this girl... Tracy Samantha Lord.
C.K. Dexter Haven: What about her?
Macaulay Connor: Well, what's her leading characteristic?
C.K. Dexter Haven: She has a horror of men who wear their hats in the house.
Elizabeth Imbrie: Leading characteristics to be filled in later...
Macaulay Connor: I can fill them in right now. The young, rich, rapacious American female. No other country where she exists.
Elizabeth Imbrie: And would I change places with Tracy Samantha Lord for all her wealth and beauty? Oh boy just ask me.

Tracy Lord: English history. It's always fascinated me. Cromwell, Robin Hood, Jack the Ripper.

Librarian: What does thee wish?
Macaulay Connor: I'm looking for some local bi... What did you say?
Librarian: What does thee wish?
Macaulay Connor: Um, local biography or history.
Librarian: If thee wilt consult with my colleague in there.
Macaulay Connor: Mm-hmm. Dost thou have a washroom?.. Thank thee.

C.K. Dexter Haven: It's astonishing what money can do for people. Don't you agree, Mr. Connor?
Macaulay Connor: Not too much, you know. Just more than enough.

Seth Lord: You have a good mind, a pretty face, a disciplined body that does what you tell it. You have everything it takes to make a lovely woman except the one essential... an understanding heart. And without that, you might just as well be made of bronze.

Macaulay Connor: You know, champagne's funny stuff. I'm used to whiskey. Whiskey's a slap on the back and champagne's a heavy mist before my eyes.

Tracy Lord: Did you enjoy the party?
Macaulay Connor: Sure, sure. The prettiest sight in this fine, pretty world is the privileged class enjoying its privileges.

Tracy Lord: Snob.
Macaulay Connor: Say, what do you mean, "snob"?
Tracy Lord: You're the worst kind there is... an intellectual snob. You've made up your mind awfully young, it seems to me.
Macaulay Connor: Well, 30's about time to make up your mind.
Tracy Lord: And I'm nothing of the sort, not Mr. Connor. The time to make up your mind about people... is never.

Tracy Lord: Oh, I don't know. I don't know anything anymore.
C.K. Dexter Haven: Oh, that sounds very hopeful, Red. That sounds just fine.


+++ Quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий