5 мая 2015 г.

Citizenfour

& Edward Snowden: There are so many ways... This could be... Everything that’s in here is pretty much gonna be on the public record at some point. We should operate on that.

& Edward Snowden: Pro tip, let’s not leave the same SD cards in our laptops forever in the future.

& Edward Snowden: OK, looks like your root password’s not 4 caracters long anyway.
    Glenn Greenwald: It’s usually a lot longer but that’s just like a one time only thing, right? It had been a lot longer but ever since I knew is that it was a one time only session, I’ve been making it shorter. Is that not good?
    Edward Snowden: It’s actually not... The issue is because of the fact it’s got a hardware MAC address and things like that, and if people are able to identify your machine and they’re able to... So they might kinda prioritize...
    Glenn Greenwald: It’s ten letters I type very quickly. Actually it’s ten letters but...
    Edward Snowden: So ten letters would be good if they had to bruteforce the entire key space. That would still probably only take a couple of days for NSA...

& Glenn Greenwald: Are they gonna be able to go into your stuff and figure out what you took?
    Edward Snowden: Hum, in some kind of some sort of like peripheral sense but not necessarily.


& Ladar Levison: Lavabit is an email service that hopefully one day will be able to stand on its own without any references to Snowden... My service was designed to remove me from the possibility of being forced to violate a person’s privacy. Quite simply Lavabit was designed to remove the service provider from the equation, by not having logs on my server and not having access to a person’s emails on disk. I wasn’t elimitating the possibility of surveillance, I was simply removing myself from that equation. And that surveillance would have to be conducted on the target either the sender or the receiver of the messages.
        But I was approached by the FBI quite recently, and told that because I couldn’t turn over the information from that one particular user, I would be forced to give up those SSL keys and let the FBI collect every communication on my network without any kind of transparency. And of course, I wasn’t comfortable with that, to say the least! More disturbing was the fact that I couldn’t even tell anybody that it was going on. So I decided: «If I didn’t win the fight to unseal my case, if I didn’t win the battle to be able to tell people what was going on, then my only ethical choice left was to shutdown».
        Think about that. I believe in the rule of law, I believe in the need to conduct investigations, but those investigations are supposed to be difficult for a reason. It’s supposed to be difficult to invade somebody’s privacy. Because of how intrusive it is, because of how disruptive it is. If we can’t, if we don’t have a right to privacy, how do we have a free and open discussion? What good is the right to free speech, if it’s not protected, in a sense that you can’t have a private discussion with somebody else about something you disagree with.
        Think about the chilling effect that that has. Think about the chilling effect it does have on countries that don’t have a right to privacy. I’ve noticed a really interesting discussion point which is that what people used to call liberty and freedom we now call privacy. And we say in the same breath that privacy is dead. This is something that really concerns me about my generation especially when we talk about how we’re not surprised by anything. I think that we should consider that when we lose privacy we lose agency; we lose liberty itself because we no longer feel free to express what we think.
        There is this myth of the passive surveillance machine but actually what is surveillance except control?

& Jeremy Scahill: What do you think they’re doing to reporters, those of us that are working directly with... Snowden documents? How do you think they would approach dealing with people like us?
    William Binney: You’re.. You’re on a cast iron cover list. Which means any electronic device you use that they can attach to you they all record and capture all that data.
    Jeremy Scahill: And what do they do with that data? They’re just trying to figure out what we’re doing?
    William Binney: Uh, well the primary... That’s part of it. But the other part, primarily part, is for them. I think it’s to find the sources of information you’re getting.
    Jeremy Scahill: So if I have a confidential source who’s giving me information as a whistleblower, and he works within the US Government, and he’s concerned about what he perceives as violation of the Constitution, uhm... and he gets in touch with me, they...
    William Binney: Yeah... From there on, they would nail him and start watching everything he did. And if you start passing data, I’m sure they’d take him off the street. I mean, the way you have to do it is like Deep Throat did, right? In the Nixon years, meet in a basement of a parking garage... physically.

--
+ quotes on the IMDb

Σ + Хакерский набор Сноудена.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий