30 июл. 2015 г.

House of Cards 3×5

Chapter 31


& Major Barney: Folks don’t have jobs! There are 60,000 unemployed people in Washington. It’s a disaster. And it’s a disgrace here in the nation’s capital.

& Steve: Let me call you on my encrypted phone.
    Kate: My number is blocked, so—
    Steve: This is Homeland Security. I have your number.

& Underwood: We need the philosophy behind it. We need something of substance. We need something... We need something that will capture the imagination. ..... Either of you play Monument Valley?
    Seth: What’s that?
    Underwood: It’s a video game.
    Remy: I don’t play them, sir.
    Seth: I sold my Xbox on eBay. It was too addictive.
    Underwood: No, it’s not a console game. You both read this and then tell me that you wouldn’t want to play this.

& Joe: I’d say there’s nine consultants in the country who truly know foreign policy. Me, I’m number one. Me in a coma is number two. But that still leaves seven who are cheaper.


& Moryakov: What is this?
    Claire: A list of the Russian officials who will be sanctioned if you sell a single truckload of arms to Iran.
    Moryakov: I didn’t even make the top ten.
    Claire: These sanctions can and will escalate.
    Moryakov: And then what?
    Claire: We’d build a coalition to impose their own sanctions.
    Moryakov: And then what?

& Moryakov: You’ve bit off more than you can chew, Claire. Leave this to the professionals and let your little resolution die a painless death. The truth is, you have no business being ambassador any more than I do being First Lady.... That’s a very nice dress, by the way.

& Underwood: You said more than a phone call?
    Claire: They need it in stone, Francis, that we’ll contribute troops.
    Underwood: An executive order.
    Claire: Congress won’t be happy.
    Underwood: Well, they’re already not happy. I spat in one eye, I might as well spit in the other. Consider it done.

& Claire: The president signed an Executive Order this morning. Five thousand US military reassigned to permanent standby for UN Peacekeeping operations. Jerusalem has been informed.
    Moryakov: Your husband doesn’t have that kind of authority.
    Claire: It’s occupied territory. He’s not deploying on sovereign land. So, as Commander in Chief, he doesn’t need Congressional approval.

& Thomas: Ramy said you needed a book. He didn’t say about what.
    Underwood: America Works. Not just the policy, but the origins. How a boy grew up in a dirt-poor shithole and climbed his way out through hard work. A story of dignity. The pride that comes with one’s labor.
    Thomas: Propaganda... You need a salesman, not a novelist.
    Underwood: «Whoever you are, whoever you think you are, believe that you’re also a silent princess. Your name is Ida. Your journey is one through a forgotten landscape of twisting staircases and morphing castles, atop floating stones defiantly crossing an angry sea, within dimly-lit caverns cobwebbed with ruins M.C. Escher could only grasp at in a dream state.»
    Thomas: You read my video game reviews?
    Underwood: I tend to play shoot-’em-ups. The indie games don’t really interest me. I need adrenaline and action. But when I read this, I had to try it. If you can convince me to be a silent princess with just a hundred words, imagine how many millions you can convince with this book. You are a salesman, Thomas.

& Underwood: ...And I promise, if you say yes, you won’t regret it... No writer worth his salt can resist a good story, just as no politician can resist making promises he can’t keep.

& Kate: He is a tyrant.
    — I don’t know, there’s a lot of people out there. He might be onto something.
    Kate: Executive Order for UN troops? He’s out of control.
    — At least he’s doing something. Walker didn’t do shit.
    Kate: I think we replaced a dud with an atom bomb.

& Underwood: .... They had to fight to secure their freedom. And now we have to fight to maintain it. The freedom to work. The freedom to live with dignity. The freedom to hope. Thank you, and God bless the United States of America.

--
+ Quotes from the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий