18 янв. 2022 г.

Downton Abbey 6×7

Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: The last thing you need at this stage in your life is to quarrel with your son and daughter-in-law.
Isobel Crawley: Precisely.
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: But don't fear. I'll call on Miss Cruikshank before I leave.
Isobel Crawley: I suspect she's quite a tough nut.
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: And I'm quite a tough nutcracker.

Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: Now, Mrs Crawley tells me that you paid her a visit when you first came, that you were amazingly friendly.
Miss Cruikshank: Well, I hope I'm always friendly.
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: Nobody's always friendly.

Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: Larry Grey has spoken to Mrs Crawley in a manner that in any other century would have resulted in him being called out and shot.

Anna Bates: They do say that opposites attract.
Lady Mary Crawley: Yes, they attract. But do they live happily ever after?

Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: We'll cruise around the Mediterranean, then I'm staying with the Broughams in Cannes. They keep asking me.
Isobel Crawley: Surrounded by foreigners.
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: My reason for travelling is to make myself eager to come home. A month among the French should manage it.

Lady Rosamund Painswick: I went past the site of Devonshire House on my way home. There's something vast going up in its place. Flats and offices and salerooms.
Tom Branson: People don't want vast palaces any more, even if they can afford them.
Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham: They were fun, though. In my youth, all the great hostesses used to have luncheon laid for 20 every day. And if you turned up in time, you just sat down to a lovely feed.

Mr. Carson: That's nice, isn't it?
Mrs. Hughes: They don't live badly, you have to concede.
Mr. Carson: They live as they're supposed to live. It has its burdens and its benefits. Better than a life of just burden.

Daisy Robinson: Will you miss it?
Joseph Molesley: Oh, let's face it. I were never going to make butler. Well, not in a proper house like this one. And from now on, there's going to be more and more people chasing fewer and fewer jobs, so it's probably time. And this seemed like a good way to go.

Mr. Carson: But how are you going to cook?
Mrs. Hughes: I can't cook! I can't lift. But it's not difficult. I'll talk you through it, don't worry.
Mr. Carson: You mean... I'm going to cook?!

Mrs. Hughes: It's very straightforward. Now, get the chicken in the oven right away, then peel the potatoes and prepare the cauliflower. Oh, and put a kettle on to boil. You should find bread and an onion for the bread sauce. Butter and milk are in the meat safe outside. I assume that none of us are going to eat anything else.

Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham: Sudden, stupid, wasteful death. It was a bloody awful business. A bloody, bloody awful business.
Lady Rosamund Painswick: The English language never lets you down.
Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham: Oh, shut up!

Tom Branson: You're frightened of being hurt again. But let me tell you this. You will be hurt again, and so will I, because being hurt is part of being alive.

Mr. Carson: Is that it now? Are we done?
Mrs. Hughes: Oh, just put the things in to soak. Make sure you cover the pots with water. You don't have to do the washing up till tomorrow if you don't want to.
Mr. Carson: You won't be better by the morning?
Mrs. Hughes: Oh, not for that. We could ask Billy to come over, but he's got his own work to do. You don't mind, do you?...

Mrs. Patmore: Oh, talking of which, has Mr Carson survived his ordeal from last night?
Mrs. Hughes: Put it this way-- he has discovered a new respect for the role of cook and bottle washer. So I think he'll be giving less trouble in the future.
Mr. Carson: What's so funny?
Mrs. Hughes: Just life, Mr Carson. Just life.


+ Quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий