18 янв. 2021 г.

War

The Crown 4×10


Prince Charles: ... So I hope you agree it leaves me no option but to start a formal separation.
Queen Elizabeth II: Oh, Charles!
Prince Charles: I'm wretchedly unhappy, yet there is someone else out there who would make me perfectly happy--
Prince Philip: Quick, switch on the television.
Queen Elizabeth II: Why?
Prince Philip: It's the Ides of March. It's Julius Caesar, or should I say Julia Caesar?
Prince Charles: We're in the middle of an important conversation--
Prince Philip: Shh!

Prince Charles: .... Although I gather you still found time to see… certain other people.
Princess Diana: I think this conversation's gone as far as it can.
Prince Charles: You were the one who insisted on talking. I always said silence was preferable.

Margaret Thatcher: Oh, poor Geoffrey. I'd offered him the position of deputy prime minister, and he seems to have taken it rather the wrong way.
Queen Elizabeth II: In the newspapers, his speech is seen as a direct challenge to your authority.
Margaret Thatcher: I think that all depends on which newspapers you're reading.
Queen Elizabeth II: Not just newspapers. Television too.
Margaret Thatcher: Or watching.

Margaret Thatcher: Oh, those little men! And you want me to get on my knees to them? Never. Have them brought in to me. One by one.

Queen Elizabeth II: Have you consulted Cabinet on this matter?
Margaret Thatcher: I have not, ma'am.
Queen Elizabeth II: Surely that would be the normal course of action?
Margaret Thatcher: With all due respect, the decision to dissolve Parliament is in the gift of the prime minister alone. It is entirely within my power to do this if I see fit.
Queen Elizabeth II: You are correct. Technically, it is within your power to request this. But we must all ask ourselves when to exercise those things that are within our power and when not to.

Queen Elizabeth II: Your first instinct as a person, I think, is often to act. To exercise power.
Margaret Thatcher: Well, that is what people want in a leader. To show conviction and strength. To lead.
Queen Elizabeth II: I'm merely asking the question. Whether it is correct to exercise a power simply because it is yours to use...

Queen Elizabeth II: Power is nothing without authority. And at this moment, your Cabinet is against you. Your party is against you. And if the polls are to be believed, if you were to call a general election today, you would not win. Which suggests the country is against you. Perhaps the time has come for you to try doing nothing for once.
Margaret Thatcher: The difference is… you have power… in doing nothing. I… will have nothing.
Queen Elizabeth II: You will have your dignity.
Margaret Thatcher: There is no dignity in the wilderness.
Queen Elizabeth II: Then might I suggest you don't think of it as that. Think of it as an opportunity to pursue other passions.
Margaret Thatcher: I have other loves. My husband, my children… But this job is my only true passion. And to have it taken from me… stolen from me so cruelly…

Margaret Thatcher: What hurts the most is that we had come so far. And now to have the opportunity to finish the job snatched away at the very last…

Camilla Parker Bowles: I'm an old woman. I'm a married woman. Nowhere near as pretty, nowhere near as radiant. Someone who looks like me has no place in a fairy tale. That's all people want, is a fairy tale.
Prince Charles: If they knew the truth about our feelings for one another, they'd have their fairy tale.
Camilla Parker Bowles: No! To be the protagonist of a fairy tale, you must first be wronged. A victim. Which, if we were to become public, we would make her. In the narrative laws of fairy tales versus reality… the fairy tale always prevails.

Camilla Parker Bowles: She will… always defeat me in the court of public opinion.
Prince Charles: What is all this, my darling? What's got into you today?
Camilla Parker Bowles: It's reality, sir. She's the Princess of Wales. She's a future queen, the mother to a future king. And I'm just...
Prince Charles: My one… true love.
Camilla Parker Bowles: A mistress. Mistress to the Prince of Wales, just like my great-grandmother Alice Keppel was the mistress to the Prince of Wales, your great-great-grandfather.
Prince Charles: And he loved her till the end.

Queen Elizabeth II: When I ascended the throne… I was just a girl. Twenty-five years old. And I was surrounded by stuffy, rather patronizing gray-haired men everywhere telling me what to do. And I wanted to say… the way you dealt with all your stuffy, rather patronizing gray-haired men throughout your time in office and saw them all off…
Margaret Thatcher: Well, they've had their revenge now.
Queen Elizabeth II: I was shocked by the way in which you were forced to leave office. And I wanted to offer my sympathy. Not just as Queen to prime minister… but woman to woman.

Queen Elizabeth II: Throughout the time we worked together, people tended to focus on our many differences. Which was lazy and misleading, I think. And overlooked the many things we do have in common... Our generation. Our Christianity. Our work ethic. Our sense of duty. But above all… our devotion to this country that we both love. So with that in mind…

Queen Elizabeth II: The Order of Merit… is not awarded by some faceless committee. It comes at the personal discretion of the sovereign and is in recognition of exceptionally meritorious service. It is limited to just 24 recipients, no matter their background. You could be the daughter of a duke. Or a greengrocer. What matters… is your accomplishments. And nobody can deny… that this is a very different country now to the one inherited by our first woman prime minister.
     Now, it's normally handed over in the box. But if you would allow me… Congratulations.

Prince Philip: We can be a rough bunch in this family. And I'm sure, on occasion, to a sensitive creature like you, it must feel like… Well, let me ask. What does it feel like?
Princess Diana: A cold, frozen tundra.
Prince Philip: Right. Like that, then.
Princess Diana: An icy, dark, loveless cave… with no light… no hope… anywhere. Not even the faintest crack.

Prince Philip: You're right to call me an outsider. I was an outsider the day that I met the… the 13-year-old princess who would one day become my wife. And after all these years… I still am. We all are. Everyone… in this system… is a lost… lonely… irrelevant outsider… apart from the one person, the only person, that matters. She is the oxygen we all breathe. The essence of all our duty. Your problem, if I may say… is you seem to be confused about who that person is.


On the IMDb
+ Soundtrack

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий