30 янв. 2021 г.

An Officer and a Spy (2019)

Major Henry: Picquart, how does he look?
Lieutenant Colonel Picquart: Like a Jewish tailor, crying over the gold he lost.

Colonel Sandherr: The Romans threw the Christians to the lions, we the Jews. We progress.

Captain Alfred Dreyfus: Major, did I do something to offend you?
Major Picquart: No.
Captain Alfred Dreyfus: You're the only professor who gave me a bad grade.
Major Picquart: Perhaps I don't value your skills as much as you do.
Captain Alfred Dreyfus: Not because I'm Jewish?
Major Picquart: I'm careful that sentiment doesn't affect my judgment.
Captain Alfred Dreyfus: If you have to be careful, it's a plausible hypothesis.
Major Picquart: If you're asking me if I appreciate Jews, my answer is no. If you're implying that I have a discriminating attitude I assure you I don't. Never.

Jean Alfred Desvernine: "Apollo." Is that Greek?
Lieutenant Colonel Picquart: No, it's a Roman copy. The original is lost.
Jean Alfred Desvernine: You mean it's a fake.
Lieutenant Colonel Picquart: No, it's a copy. It's different.

Alfred Dreyfus: You're saying I am guilty because the handwriting is mine.
Alphonse Bertillon: Yes.
Alfred Dreyfus: But I'm equally guilty if the handwriting isn't mine.
Alphonse Bertillon: Yes.

General Billot: Major, what will you tell the minister?
Major Picquart: The chances of conviction are not more than 50%.
General Billot: Why?
Major Picquart: What motive could he have? It can't be money. His personal resources are 20 times a captain's pay. You haven't found a motive.
Major Henry: You should see the evidence we have against that Jew...

Alfred Dreyfus: '... The isolation is such that it feels like I am buried alive. If it were just for me, I would have already slipped into the grave. But it's not just about my life, but my honor, the honor of us all, of our children's lives. ...'

Lieutenant Colonel Picquart: Well? Are they the same?
Alphonse Bertillon: The handwriting is identical to the note of Dreyfus.
Lieutenant Colonel Picquart: Would you be willing to state that in writing?
Alphonse Bertillon: Of course, if you wish.
Lieutenant Colonel Picquart: What if I told you that this wasn't written by Dreyfus?
Alphonse Bertillon: I'd say that the Jews have taught someone to write with the handwriting of Dreyfus.

General Gonse: What do you propose?
Lieutenant Colonel Picquart: Put Dreyfus on trial again.
General Gonse: Another trial? Are you crazy?
Lieutenant Colonel Picquart: Is that inconceivable?
General Gonse: Of course. Everyone would wonder why such a mistake has been made! They'll get at the secret file. It's unthinkable.
Lieutenant Colonel Picquart: Why?
General Gonse: It would embarrass us!
Lieutenant Colonel Picquart: I don't understand you.
General Gonse: We know your opinion about the chosen race. What do you care if a Jew is being held on an island?
Lieutenant Colonel Picquart: He's innocent.
General Gonse: How sentimental you are! Lambs, newborn kittens and Dreyfus. They're all innocent.
Lieutenant Colonel Picquart: You talk as if I feel affection for him, but it's not like that. I'd rather he was guilty, but the traitor is Esterhazy.
General Gonse: Maybe it's Esterhazy or maybe not. If you don't say anything, no one will ever know.
Lieutenant Colonel Picquart: That's an abominable suggestion. Should I take this secret to the grave?
General Gonse: Of course! That is the essence of our profession.

Major Henry: Have you told General Gonse about this?
Lieutenant Colonel Picquart: I told him Dreyfus is innocent.
Major Henry: What did he say?
Lieutenant Colonel Picquart: He said to let it go.
Major Henry: Then let it go. They're the bosses. We execute orders or we're nothing. I don't know if Dreyfus is innocent and I don't give a damn. If you order me to kill, I will. If you then tell me it was the wrong person, it will grieve me. But it's not my fault, it's the army.
Lieutenant Colonel Picquart: Maybe it's your army, but it's not mine.

General Picquart: What did you want to discuss?
Major Alfred Dreyfus: My rank. My promotion to major does not take into account the years of imprisonment. Your eight years outside the army are considered like you've been through them on duty. Major Alfred Dreyfus: It's unfair. I consider it a prejudice.
General Picquart: I see. What should I do about it?
Major Alfred Dreyfus: Promote me to my due rank.
General Picquart: Which is?
Major Alfred Dreyfus: Lieutenant Colonel.
General Picquart: That requires a special law.
Major Alfred Dreyfus: It should be done, it would be right.
General Picquart: That's not possible.
Major Alfred Dreyfus: Why not?
General Picquart: The law wouldn't pass. The political climate has changed. It is already difficult to work with those who were our enemies. Why reopen the matter?
Major Alfred Dreyfus: Because it's the right thing.
General Picquart: I'm sorry, that's not possible. If that's all...
Major Alfred Dreyfus: Yes, that's all.

General Picquart: I'm sorry that we couldn't talk in private these last few years.
Major Alfred Dreyfus: No, indeed. Not since the morning of my arrest.
General Picquart: Yes. I apologize for the role that I had in this sad charade.
Major Alfred Dreyfus: You recovered very well.
General Picquart: It's good to have done all this and finally be elected to government. And yet it's strange to say, but... I wouldn't be here without you.
Major Alfred Dreyfus: No, General. You're here because you did your duty.


+ Quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий