16 дек. 2020 г.

Cri de Coeur

The Crown 3×10


Princess Margaret: He can't help himself. My priapic little snapper...

Lord Snowdon: The rogue's gallery. Isn't it fun? I did it to remind Princess Margaret that her family has as many skeletons in the cupboard as anyone else's. House of Windsor? House of Horrors, more like.

Lord Snowdon: She always hated it here. She considers it as ugly, misshapen, and common as me. The failure of our marriage could not be better encapsulated by the two houses, the two dwellings, in which she and I are most comfortable. Hers... some insect-infested gin palace given to her by fawning sycophants. And this... is mine.

Princess Margaret: Tony and I will never let go of one another. And it's not just because divorce is incompatible with my faith, but because... this is just how we like it. War is our love. A brutal fight to the death is our mating dance, and I speak for both of us when I say we wouldn't want it any other way. Contentment is dull, and Tony and I are anything but dull.

Prince Philip: How could matters get any worse? What more could possibly go wrong? And then you come down to breakfast, you see the newspapers, and you realize, they've done it again. ... I mean, right now the United Kingdom is the equivalent of a patient dying on the operating table and the surgeons, no, the butchers, no, sorry, the murderers responsible for causing that death are seeking re-election. Instead of throwing them in jail, the people, like lemmings, are queuing up to extend their bloody contracts.

Princess Margaret: You know, I have a garden that needs doing.
Roddy Llewellyn: Do you? I imagine you must have an army of gardeners.
Princess Margaret: Don't believe everything you hear. No, my garden is quite neglected. Especially the one in Mustique.
Roddy Llewellyn: Where?
Princess Margaret: It's a small private island in the Caribbean.

Lord Snowdon: And now... to the main business. Voilà.
Queen Elizabeth II: A mug.
Lord Snowdon: And...
Queen Elizabeth II: A teapot.
Lord Snowdon: And...
Queen Elizabeth II: Oh.
Lord Snowdon: A commemorative plate. And a tea towel with the dates 1952 to 1977. The powers that be thought it might be nice if someone from inside the firm were to design some of the memorabilia.
Queen Elizabeth II: Oh, Tony, you are clever.
Lord Snowdon: Always happy to help my family.

Queen Elizabeth II: In my experience people, find a way to do what they need to do to remain happy or sane. I often think turning a blind eye is the best approach. Things work themselves out in the end.

Queen Elizabeth II: Oh, Prime Minister, I am sorry. This will come as a terrible shock.
Harold Wilson: Well, maybe, but, uh... No shock lasts longer than 48 hours. There's too much appetite for the next shock.

Queen Elizabeth II: I'll miss our sessions terribly. I don't mind admitting I let out an unconstitutional cheer when you beat Mr. Heath this time.
Harold Wilson: Oh... I always said deep down, you're a leftie at heart.
Queen Elizabeth II: Nothing to do with the politics. You're just a better companion. Although, I wouldn't have said that the first time we met.
Harold Wilson: No! You thought I was going to rough you lot up. And look what a sentimental old royalist I turned out to be.

Harold Wilson: Your Majesty...
Queen Elizabeth II: Prime Minister? If you saw fit to invite your Queen to supper at Downing Street before you left, she would be honored.
Harold Wilson: But that's an honor previously only given to Churchill...
Queen Elizabeth II: The Duke of Edinburgh and I would like that very much.

Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother: You would say more indicative of a cry for attention, than a genuine suicide attempt? A cri de coeur, rather than a coup de grâce?

Princess Margaret: Tony and I are going to separate.
Queen Elizabeth II: Yes, I think that's probably wise.
Princess Margaret: Which, I'm afraid to say, will lead to divorce.
Queen Elizabeth II: Yes.
Princess Margaret: The first royal divorce since Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves...

Princess Margaret: How many does that make it?
Queen Elizabeth II: Prime ministers?.. Whoever replaces him will be my seventh.
Princess Margaret: The rest of us drop like flies, but she goes on and on...

Queen Elizabeth II: Of all the people everywhere, you are the closest, and most important to me. And if by doing this... you wanted to let me imagine for one minute what life would be like without you... you succeeded. It would be unbearable.
Princess Margaret: Then we must both carry on.

Princess Margaret: You must do it.
Queen Elizabeth II: You don't think it might all backfire on me? Ask yourself, in the time I've been on the throne, what have I actually achieved?
Princess Margaret: You've been calm... and stable and...
Queen Elizabeth II: Useless and unhelpful. This country was still great when I came to the throne, and now look. So much for the Second Elizabethan Age, which Winston talked about. All that's happened on my watch is the place has fallen apart.
Princess Margaret: It's only fallen apart if we say it has. That's the thing about the monarchy. We paper over the cracks. And if what we do is loud and grand and confident enough, no one will notice that all around us it's fallen apart. That's the point of us... Not us. Of you. You cannot flinch. Because if you show a single crack, we'll see it isn't a crack, but a chasm, and we'll all fall in. So you must hold it all together.
Queen Elizabeth II: Must I do that alone?
Princess Margaret: There is only one queen.


+ Quotes on the IMDb
+ Soundtrack

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий