15 июл. 2014 г.

The Man from Earth

& Harry: What do you hunt?
    John: Deer, mostly. Around big bear.
    Harry: With a bow and arrow? Most people can’t bag a deer with a rifle and a telescopic sight.
    John: Though, good eatin’. The best wild game. Lives naturally, eats naturally.

& John: I wonder if I could ask you a silly question.
    Art: John, we’re teachers. We answer silly questions all the time.
    John: What if a man from the upper Paleolithic survived until the present day?..

& Harry: All right, all right, I’ll play. All right, um, in science fiction terms, I would say... Perfect regeneration of the body’s cells, especially in the vital organs. Actually, the human body appears designed to live about 190 years. Most of us just die of slow poisoning.
    John: Maybe he did something right, something everybody else in history had done wrong...

& Dan: We’ve extended our lifespan in a world that’s, uh... not fit to live in.
    Harry: You know, it could happen... The pancreas turns over cells every 24 hours, the stomach lining in three days, the entire body in seven years, but the process falters. Waste accumulates, eventually proves fatal to function. Now if a quirk in his immune system led to perfect detox, perfect renewal, then yeah. He could duck decay.
    Edith: Mm, that’s a secret we’d all love to have.
    John: Would you really want to do that? Live 14,000 years?..

& Harry: You know, the more I think about it, yeah, it’s possible. Anything is possible, right? After all, one century’s magic, another century’s science.

& Dan: There’s absolutely no way in the whole world for John to prove this story to us, just like there’s no way for us to disprove it. No matter how outrageous we think it is, no matter how highly trained some of us think we are, there’s absolutely no way to disprove it. Our friend is either a caveman, a liar, or a nut. So while we’re thinking about that, why don’t we just go with it? I mean, hell, who knows, he might jolt us into believing him, or we might jolt him back to reality.
    Edith: Believing?!
    Art: Whose reality?

& John: Living 14,000 years didn’t make me a genius. I just had time.


& Dan: Time... We can’t see it, we can’t hear it, we can’t weigh it, we can’t measure it in a laboratory. It’s a subjective sense of becoming what we are instead of what we were a nanosecond ago, becoming what we will be in another nanosecond. The Hopis see time as a landscape, existing before and behind us, and we move— we move through it, slice by slice.
    Linda: Clocks measure time.
    Dan: No, they measure themselves. The objective referent of clock is another clock.
    Edith: How very interesting. What has it got to do with John?
    Dan: Oh, he- he might be a man who lives outside of time as we know it.

& Gruber: Have you ever wished it would end?
    John: ... No.
    Gruber: Fourteen thousand years. Injuries, illness, disasters. You’ve survived them all. You’re a very lucky man...

& Gruber: Do you ever get tired of it all?
    John: I get bored now and then. They keep making the same stupid mistakes over and over.
    Gruber: They...

& John: There was a man in the 1600s...
    Edith: Where were you in 1292 A.D.?
    John: Where were you a year ago on this date?..

& Edith: The New Testament in 100 words or less: you ready?
    Edith: I don’t think I wanna hear this. Harry, will you take me home?
    Harry: No, not right now. I do want to hear this.
    Art: Sit down, Edith. You act like you believe him.
    Edith: It’s sacrilege!
    Harry: How can it be sacrilege? He hasn’t said anything yet.
    Edith: The new New Testament is sacrilege.
    Dan: There are a dozen new New Testaments, From Hebrew to Greek to Latin to Tyndale, all the way to King James, all revisionist, and all called revealed truth.
    Edith: I mean a new New Testament in 100 words.
    Harry: I can give you the ten commandments in ten words: Don’t. Don’t, don’t, don’t. Don’t, don’t, don’t, don’t, don’t, don’t.
    Dan: Don’t.

& Dan: The commandments are just modern updates of more ancient laws. Hammurabi’s code.
    Harry: That’s right, they weren’t the first, right? Edith, I was raised on the Torah... My wife, on the Koran. My oldest son is an atheist. My youngest is a Scientologist. My daughter is studying Hinduism. I imagine that there is room there for a holy war in my living room... but we practice live and let live.

& Sandy: Do you believe literally everything in the Bible, Edith?
    Edith: Yes! Before you say it, I know it’s undergone a lot of changes. But... God has spoken through man to make his word clearer.
    Harry: He couldn’t get it right the first time?
Edith: We— We’re imperfect! He had to work to make us understand.
Harry: He couldn’t get us right the first time, Edith?
Dan: Taken alone, the philosophical teachings of Jesus are Buddhism with a Hebrew accent. Kindness, tolerance, brotherhood, love, a ruthless realism acknowledging that life is as it is here on Earth, here and now. The kingdom of God, meaning goodness, is right here, where it should be. “I am what I am becoming.” That’s what the Buddha brought in.
John: And that’s what I taught! But a talking snake make a lady eat an apple. So we’re screwed. Heaven and hell were peddled so priests could rule through seduction and terror, save our souls that we never lost in the first place. I threw a clean pass... they ran it out of the ballpark.

& Edith: This is blasphemy. It’s horrible! Who else were you? Solomon, Elvis, Jack the ripper?
Dan: It’s been said that Buddha and Jesus would laugh or cry if they’d known what was done in their name.
Harry: And if there is a creator, he’d probably feel the same way.

& John: I see ceremony, ritual, processions, genuflecting, moaning, intoning, venerating cookies and wine, and I think... It’s not what I had in mind.
Edith: But that’s Vatican flapdoodle! It doesn’t have a thing to do with God.
Dan: As you said, John, everywhere, religions... from exalting life to purging joy as a sin. Rome does it as grand opera.

& Dan: That is fascinating, isn’t it, a brave attempt to teach Buddhism in the west. It’s no wonder he failed. We’re not ready for it.
Edith: You’re talking as if you believed him.
Dan: Well, it is possible, isn’t it? I mean, anything is possible. Look, we have two simple choices. We can get all bent out of shape intellectualizing or bench-pressing logic, or we can simply relax and enjoy it. I can listen critically, but I don’t have to make up my mind about anything.

& Edith: You weren’t Jesus!
Harry: Quote the sermon on the mount.
John: Which one? Darby, King James, new American standard?..
Edith: Do— Do you know them all?
John: No one knows the one, not even me. I... I did some teaching on a hill one day. Not that many people stayed.
Dan: But you...
John: Biblical Jesus said, “Who do you think I am?” He gave them a choice. I’m giving you one.
Edith: We— Were you?
John: If I said no, could you ever be sure?..

& Edith: You think that’s all religion is about... selling hope and survival?
John: The Old Testament sells fear and guilt. The New Testament is a good code of ethics, put into my mouth by poets and philosophers that are much smarter than I am. The message is never practiced. Fairy tales build churches.
Art: What about the name “Jesus”? Did you pull that out of a hat?
John: I called myself John. I almost always do. As tales of the resurrection spread, the name was confused with the Hebrew “Yochanan,” meaning “God is gracious.” My stay on Earth was seen as divine proof of immortality. That led to “God is salvation” or Hebrew “Yahshua,” which in translation became my proper name, changing to late Greek, “Iesous,” then to late Latin, “Iesus,” and finally medieval Latin, “Jesus,” and it was a wonder to watch it all happen.

& Gruber: I ask you now... I demand it... that you tell these people the truth. Give them closure. It’s time, John. Please!
John: ................. End of the line. Everybody off.
Dan: What?!

& Dan: I don’t know, man. Something about this... something about you, John. The more I think about it, the more I’m no longer in that Chinese box. I sense... space. A kinda latitude of what we happily call reality, in which, as everybody keeps saying... anything’s possible.
John: Yes.
Dan: No, no. No, no. No. No more words. I’m gonna go home, and I’m gonna watch Star Trek for a dose of sanity.

& Dan: Good luck to you, man, wherever this may lead you.

--
+ quotes on the IMDb

Σ Fantastic!

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий