8 июл. 2014 г.

Adventure

Halt and Catch Fire 1×5

& Cameron: I need a taxi to take me to Eaton Microtech Labs. ... Oh, I’m not from here. ... Can you get the guy with the French name on that? ... Yeah, yeah, yeah, Mr. Concierge.

& — Well, how will your computer compare to the IBM XT?
    Bosworth: Ours has all the same features as the XT, plus... plus a few bonus extras.
    — Like what?
    Bosworth: Like what? Like you can haul it down to the no-tell motel when you screw your secretary and you’d still get your memos typed up. “Like what?” You try that with an IBM PC, hell, you’d throw out your back.

& MacMillan: As for the specs, we were experimenting with the 286, but in the end, it would only cost your customers an arm and a leg, so we’re going with an eight megahertz 8086. That’s almost twice as fast as any PC on the market, plus we’re including a floating-point math coprocessor that will run circles around any IBM PC.

& I’m deciding between “Alamo,” “Death Star,” and “George.”
    Stan: I can’t believe you guys don’t like “Khan.” “Khan!”
    Cameron: Excuse me? I wrote the BIOS. I name it. ... “Lovelace.”
    Stan: “Lovelace.”
    Cameron: Not Linda Lovelace, you pervs, Ada Lovelace. ... As in the first computer programmer ever?
    Gordon: ... Good name.

& MacMillan: I just promised a room full of retailers a briefcase. You couldn’t fit this crap in a gym bag!
    Gordon: You mean over-promised. It must be nice to have a job where you get to say words without having to actually do anything...
    MacMillan: Did you ever sell a computer before I showed up here?.. Did any of you?..

& Gordon: What if we swapped out the CRT for an LCD?..


& Kenneth: Is that “Adventure”?
    Cameron: Yeah.
    Kenneth: Classic. I could tell by your keystrokes. That thing’s heroin. Took out my graduate seminar the night before our final. We all flunked.

& MacMillan: Change the reservation to Woodson’s. Japanese don’t come to Dallas to have a shrimp cocktail dressed up like a sushi roll. They come for steak.

& Kenneth: Check this out...
    Cameron: Oh, no, the printer only prints text... Wait, you added a graphics mode? And auto grayscale conversion? Oh! Cool.

& Cameron: I’m finished.
    Steve: Did you check off your module on the flowchart?
    Cameron: No, I just told you I’m finished.
    Steve: Well, I still need you to put a check by your name. It’s part of the protocol. Learned it at Stanford B-School.
    Cameron: Mm, does the B stand for bullshit?

& Cameron: Hey. Do you want all your software programmed in 11 weeks for half of what you’re spending?
    MacMillan: Is this a trick question?
    Cameron: Brooks’ Law, “The Mythical Man-Month.” The one useful book I read in college. Brooks said that adding programmers to speed up a software project only makes it later.

& MacMillan: How would you know which programmers to keep? Do you even know their names?
    Cameron: Hey! Coder monkeys, come here. How many of you got sucked into “Adventure” last night?..
    Steve: I knew it! She’s sabotaging the project, Joe.
    Cameron: Okay, just curious... how many of you figured out what order to push the buttons in at the dam? ... And how many of you got out of the cave by breaking the code? ...
    Kev: I had to get home to feed my cat.
    Cameron: Which back doors did you use?
    Kenneth: “Xyzzy.”
    Lev: “Plover.”
    — “Plugh.”
    Cameron: Okay. Lev, Yo-Yo, the rest of you guys who cheated, you get to keep your jobs. Those of you who played fair and square, thank you very much, but you can go home.

& MacMillan: Explain.
    Cameron: To play an honest game, you have to be good at solving puzzles. But to cheat, you have to be great at solving code. Those are the guys I need on my team... the ones who can break into the code, find the back doors, figure out “Plover” and “Xyzzy” and “Fee Fie Foe Foo” to get it done.
    Kenneth: Did you find “Fee Fie Foe Foo”?
    Lev: No...
    MacMillan: Steve, I’ll write you a nice letter of recommendation.

& MacMillan: Cameron... are you going to this bowling alley thing later?
    Cameron: I don’t know. It sounds dumb, but some of the coders are going.
    MacMillan: It’s amazing what passes for culture in Dallas.

--
On the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий