30 июл. 2014 г.

Calvary

& X: Killing a priest on a Sunday! That’ll be a good one.

& Father: Don’t tell me, you made the classic error.
    Fiona: You’re supposed to cut down, not across...

& Father: You’re saying he beat her up?
    Jack: That’s what I’m assuming. Yeah. The way she speaks in riddles. I can’t make any sense out of her. I think she’s bipolar. Or lactose intolerant. One of the two.

& Father: Need anything else?
    The Writer: A gun... A Walther PPK. Bond’s weapon of choice. Old Adolph killed himself with one in the bunker.
    Father: That’s the plan, is it?
    The Writer: No intention of riding around in agony for hours on end when the time comes. Not knowing who I am or where I am.
    Father: It’s nonsense.
    The Writer: Pragmatism.

& Fiona: You don’t have any photographs.
    Father: No. I’m in agreement with the Apaches on that score.
    Fiona: The Apaches?
    Father: The Apaches. The Arapaho.
    Fiona: The Hunk papa Sioux. Not even one of Mum?
    Father: Don’t need a photograph to remember your mother.
    Fiona: Memories fade. That’s what’s so terrible about them.
    Father: No, they don’t. Not really.

& Mr. Fitzgerald: Interesting man, your father.
    Fiona: Is that right?
    Mr. Fitzgerald: A good man. A fine man. Nobody around here has a bad word to say about him. Makes you wonder what he’s hiding.


& Father: You think you can become a more authentic person by fighting in a war? By killing people...
    Milo: You’re against me joining is what I’m sensing.
    Father: Let’s put it this way: I’ve always felt there’s something inherently psychopathic... about someone who joins the army in peacetime.

& Father: As far as I’m concerned people join the army... because they want to find out what it’s like to kill someone. I hardly think that’s an inclination that should be encouraged, do you? Jesus Christ didn’t think so either. And the Commandment “thou shalt not kill”... does not have an asterisk beside it, referring you to the bottom of the page, with instances where it’s OK to kill.
    Milo: What about self-defense?
    Father: It’s a tricky one, all right.

& Mr. Fitzgerald: I’d like to make amends. Do penance for past sins. Although, I suppose all sins are past. Otherwise they wouldn’t be sins. They’d just be... evil thoughts. Floating around in your mind.

& Mr. Fitzgerald: I heard you like to drink.
    Father: I like it too much.
    Mr. Fitzgerald: There’s no such thing as too much. There’s only not enough!

& Father: In situations like this one, people are shocked. The randomness of it. They curse God. They curse their fellow man. They lose their faith in some cases.
    Theresa: They lose their faith? It must not have been much of a faith to begin with. If it is so easy for them to lose it.
    Father: Yes, but what is faith... for most people is the fear of death. It’s nothing more than that. If that’s all it is, it’s very easy to lose.

& Fiona: What may mean nothing to you may be very important to me.
    Father: I’d never say it was unimportant. I just say the choices you make when you’re thirty... are not the same choices you make when you’re sixty.
    Fiona: That’s irrelevant. Every mode of living has its own logic, its own meaning.
    Father: Maybe so. Maybe you’re right there. I’ll have to think about that...

& Father: I don’t think you feel any guilt whatsoever, about anything you’ve done.
    Freddy: I do. I do, Father. I believe what the Bible teaches. I believe that if I repent my sins, then I’ll be forgiven. And I’ll be able to go up to heaven, and I’ll see those girls and I’ll tell them how sorry I am. I’ll hug them and I’ll kiss them, and I’ll love them with the real, true love. I’ll have no desire to hurt them in any way. God made me, didn’t He? Didn’t He? So He understands me. He must do. Don’t you think?
    Father: I think if God can’t understand you, Freddy... no one can.

& Bishop: We have to ask ourselves: What does this man want? He wants to be loved, of course. We all want to be loved. Failing that he wants to be... admired. Failing that he wants to be feared. Failing that, he wants to be hated and despised. You should beware the man who wants to be hated and despised. Don’t you think?
    Father: I think you read that in a book, your Excellency.

& The Writer: You know I can tell when you’re really getting old... No one ever says the word “death” around you anymore.

& Leary: What happened to you?
    Father: Brendan Lynch.
    Leary: Brendan Lynch? He’s a Buddhist!
    Father: So what if he’s a fucking Buddhist? You think Buddhists don’t beat people up? You think Buddhists don’t fuck their kids like everyone else?
    Leary: You’re obviously very upset!
    Father: Tibetans spit on blind people in the street! Their killing albinos in Africa! You’re so fucking naive.
    Leary: Please don’t curse at me, Father. I think It would be best to continue this conversation in the morning, sober...
    Father: Why are you a fucking priest at all? You should be a fucking accountant! Or a fucking insurance man!

& Father: I don’t hate you at all.
    Leary: Then, why?
    Father: It’s just you have no integrity! That’s the worse I can say about anybody.

& Father: I think there’s too much talk about sins, to be honest. Not enough talk about virtues.
    Fiona: You might be right. What would be your number one?
    Father: I think forgiveness has been highly underrated.
    Fiona: I forgive you. Do you forgive me?

& Jack: Your friend is just an enemy you haven’t made yet.

--
+ quotes on the IMDb

Σ Such a constellation! Brilliant movie. True Calvary as it is.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий