29 мар. 2014 г.

The Namesake

& Mr Ghosh: Mm, what are you reading?
    Ashoke: Hm? “The Overcoat”, by Gogol.

& Mr Ghosh: Pack a pillow and a blanket. See the world. You will never regret it.
    Ashoke: My grandfather always says that is what books are for. To travel without moving an inch.

& Ashoke: Gogol... Gogolu?
    Ashima: What do you say?
    Ashoke: We could call him Gogol.

& Ashima: He wants to keep Gogol and not Nikhil as his good name.
    Ashoke: Fine. No big deal. With a president named Jimmy, there’s nothing we can do. As long as our kid is happy.

& Gogol: Did you guys know all this stuff about him when you decided to name me? That he was paranoid, suicidal, friendless, depressed?
    Ashoke: You forgot to mention that he was also a genius.

& Ashoke: Well all came out of Gogol’s Overcoat. One day you will understand.

& Ashima: Why don’t you get in, my American sahib? Sonia can sit on my lap. Come on.
    Gogol: No. Because being pulled by another human being is feudal and exploitative, and I don’t want to be part of something like that.

& Ashima: Just imagine how much Shah Jahan must have loved Mumtaz to make this for her...
    Ashoke: Other husbands also love their wives, Ashima. Only we cannot afford to build Taj Mahal.


& Ashoke: Anything is possible in America. Do as you wish.

& Ashima: ...Besides, what kind of a girl is called Max, huh?
    Lydia: Maybe it’s a boy...

& Gogol: Baba, is that what you think of when you think of me? Do I remind you of that night?
    Ashoke: Not at all. You remind me of everything that followed. Everyday since then has been a gift... Gogol.

& Ashima: By the time I was your age, I had already celebrated my tenth wedding anniversary.
    Gogol: This is America, Ma. We’ll have twins when we’re 60.

& Moushumi: Nikhil.
    Gogol: Yes.
    Moushumi: As opposed to Gogol?
    Gogol: Yes.

& Ashima: It’s so hard to know what to do sometimes...
    Lydia: I was looking at this Joseph Campbell book the other day, and he says when you feel lost, you should close your eyes and think of when you were most happy. Not thrilled. Just deeply happy. It’s called “following your bliss”.

& Ashima: I want to be free.
    Moushumi: Like your name...
    Gogol: What do you mean?
    Moushumi: “Ashima” means “without borders, limitless”.

& Ben: I am never gonna remember all these names.
    Gogol: It’s all right. You don’t have to. Just call everyone “auntie”, you’ll be fine.

& Ashoke: All this way and no picture. Huh? What should we do? We just have to remember it, then. Huh? Will you remember this day, Gogol?
    Gogol: How long do I have to remember it?
    Ashoke: Remember it always. Remember that you and I made the journey, and we went together to a place where there was nowhere left to go.

--
+ quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий