6 авг. 2011 г.

Mad Men 4x8

The Summer Man


& Don: ’They say as soon as you have to cut down on your drinking you have a drinking problem.
        My mind is a jumble. I can’t organize my thoughts and typing feels like work. I’ve never written more than 250 words, not even in high school... Five paragraphs, 50 words apiece. God, I was lazy.’

& Don: So everything’s good?
    Ida Blankenship: I’ll tell you... I was blind... and now I see.
    Don: Well, good. If you need more time...
    Ida Blankenship: I’m fine, Roger.
    Don: ???
    Ida Blankenship: I’m kidding around here.

& Joan: You’re so arrogant!
    Joey: Me? What do you do around here besides walking around like you’re trying to get raped?
    Joan: Excuse me?!
    Joey: I’m not some young girl off the bus. I don’t need some madam from a Shanghai whorehouse to show me the ropes.

& Don: ’One, climb mount Kilimanjaro... Go anywhere in Africa, actually.
Two, gain a modicum* of control over the way I feel. I want to wake up and I want to be that man.’

& Bethany: Don’t you want to be close with anyone?
    Don: I do.
    Bethany: I know we’re from different generations but I’m going to need more from you.
    Don: We are from different generations, because I don’t remember women pushing this hard.

& Don: ’She’s a sweet girl and she wants me to know her, but I already do. People tell you who they are, but we ignore it because we want them to be who we want them to be.
    Bethany: To be continued.
    Don: ’I bet she was thinking of that line all night. {...}’

& Don: ’I like sleeping alone, stretching out like a skydiver, cool patches to roll onto. I just appreciate it more.’

& Don: Look, Peggy, just go fire him.
    Peggy: Me?! I thought you would go out there and yell at him.
    Don: Yell at him, fire him. Look, believe me... You do not want me involved in this. People will think you’re a tattletale*. You want some respect?.. Go out there and get it for yourself.


& Peggy: I don’t know if you heard, but I fired Joey.
    Joan: I did. Good for you.
    Peggy: Excuse me?!
    Joan: Now everybody in the office will know that you solved my problem and that you must be really important, I guess.
    Peggy: What’s wrong with you? I defended you.
    Joan: You defended yourself.
    Peggy: Fine. That cartoon was disgusting.
    Joan: I had already handled it and if I had wanted to go further, one dinner with Mr. Kreutzer from Sugarberry ham and Joey would’ve been off it and out of my hair.
    Peggy: So? It’s the same result.
    Joan: You want to be a big shot. Well, no matter how powerful we get around here, they can still just draw a cartoon. So all you’ve done is proved to them that I’m a meaningless secretary. Have a nice weekend.

& Don: When a man walks into a room, he brings his whole life with him.
        He has a million reasons for being anywhere. Just ask him.
        If you listen, he’ll tell you how he got there, how he forgot where he was going and then he woke up.
        If you listen, he’ll tell you about the time he thought he was an angel or dreamt of being perfect.
        And then he’ll smile with wisdom, content that he’d realized the world isn’t perfect.
        We’re flawed* because we want so much more.
We’re ruined because we get these things and wish for what we had.


& Don: I know I’ve sometimes behaved to the contrary, but I do admire your work.
    Feya: That’s nice to hear.
    Don: So tell me a trade secret. How do you get them to do what you want them to do?
    Feya: Aesop has a fable about the wind and the sun.
            ’The wind and the sun had this competition to see if they could get a traveler’s coat off. So the wind blows fiercely on him, but the traveler just pulls his coat tighter. But the sun shines down on him, warmer and warmer, and the traveler just takes it off.’
    Don: And the moral is?
    Feya: Kindness, gentleness and persuasion win where force fails.
    Don: {...} So what you’re saying is you want my coat.

& Henry: What’s he doing here?!
    Betty: It’s okay. We have everything.

-- Dict:
modicum — капельку
tattletale — болтун
flawed — недостатки

+ on Imdb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий