26 июн. 2011 г.

True Grit

& Mattie Ross: You must pay for everything in this world, one way and another. There is nothing free, except the grace of God.

& Undertaker: If you would like to sleep in a coffin, it would be all right.

& Cross-examining Lawyer: Mr. Cogburn, in your four years as U.S. Marshal, how many men have you shot?
    Rooster Cogburn: I never shot nobody I didn’t have to.
    Lawyer: Well, that was not the question. How many?
    Cogburn: Shot or killed?
    Lawyer: Let us restrict it to “killed” so that we may have a manageable figure.
    Cogburn: About 12... 15. Stopping men in flight, defending myself, et cetera.
    Lawyer: Around 12, he says, or 15. So many you cannot keep a precise count. I have examined the records and can supply the accurate figure.
    Cogburn: I believe them two Wharton boys makes it 23.

& LaBoeuf: My name is LaBoeuf. I’ve just come from Yell County.
    Mattie: We have no rodeo clowns in Yell County.

& Mattie: You have not traded poorly.
    Col. Stonehill: Certainly not! I am paying you for a horse I do not possess and have bought back a string of useless ponies which I cannot sell again.
    Mattie: You’re forgetting the gray horse.
    Stonehill: Crow bait!
    Mattie: You are looking at the thing in the wrong light.
    Stonehill: I am looking at it in the light of God’s eternal truth.

& Mattie: Look here. I need a pony. And I will pay $ 10 for one of them.
    Stonehill: No, that’s the lot price. No, no... Wait a minute. Are we trading again?!

& Mattie: Marshal Cogburn?.. It is I, Mattie Ross, your employer.


& Mattie: ’... do not fear on my account. Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil. The author of all things watches over me and I have a fine horse.

& Mattie: Are you going to let him do this, Marshal?
    Cogburn: No, I don’t believe I will.

& Mattie: Why did they hang him so high?
    Cogburn: I do not know. Possibly in the belief it’d make him more dead.

& Cogburn: I’m a Federal officer! Who’s in there?
    Emmett Quincy: A Methodist and a son of a bitch!

& Why were they pursuing you?
    Cogburn: ...... I robbed a high-interest bank. You can’t rob a thief, can you? Never robbed a citizen. Never took a man’s watch.
    Mattie: It is all stealing.
    Cogburn: That’s the position they took in New Mexico.

& Lucky Ned Pepper: Well, Rooster, will you give us the road?
    Mattie: One against four?.. It is ill-advised.
    LaBoeuf: He would not be dissuaded*.

& Ned Pepper: What is your intention, Rooster? You think one on four is a dogfall?
    Cogburn: I mean to kill you in one minute, Ned. Or see you hanged in Fort Smith at Judge Parker’s convenience. Which will you have?
    Ned Pepper: I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man!
    Cogburn: Fill your hand, you son of a bitch!

& Mattie: Shoot them, Mr. LaBoeuf!
    LaBoeuf: Too far. Moving too fast.


-- Dict:
dissuade — отговаривать; разубеждать; отсоветовать


+ on Imdb.

True Grit

__ A true piece of Coen's craftsmanship. With addition: Big Lebowski, Matt Damon, Josh Brolin, et cetera.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий