16 июн. 2011 г.

Rome 1x11

The Spoils

Season 1, Episode 11


& Caesar: What would they have me do? I cannot make farmland.
    Mark Antony: Certainly you can. It’s called eviction.
    Caesar: And who shall I evict?
    Mark Antony: Your enemies.
    Caesar: Enemies? I have enemies still?.. Strange to say. I shall make friends of them in time.
    Mark Antony: And make enemies of your veterans... Unless something is done.
    Caesar: Is it possible they turn on me?
    Lucius: They would never fight against you, but if they’re not satisfied they will turn to banditry and raiding.
    Mark Antony: In your name. Not good.

& Caesar: Tell Mascius I respect his honesty. Tell him my veterans are as sons to me, and to all loyal veterans I shall give good lands in... Pannonia. Good fertile bottomlands.
    Lucius: Pannonia?
    Caesar: Speak freely.
    Lucius: It’s hard country, Pannonia, and far away. Mascius will refuse it.
    Caesar: Does Mascius have the men’s full trust? Can he sway* them either way?
    Lucius: He can sway the 10th men, and what the 10th men do will sway other legions.

    Caesar: Make him a personal offer then.
    Lucius: To what limit?
    Caesar: You be judge of that.

& Newsreader: “By claim of the Senate and people, our beloved father, Gaius Julius Caesar, has been declared dictator for life. Furthermore, the fifth month is henceforth name July* in his honor.”

& Brutus: I am no coward, nor am I blind. I know what Caesar is. I can see. But I have pledged myself his friend... No, I am his friend!
    Cassius: So for friendship you would let the republic die?..
    Brutus: I am just a man. The life or death of the republic is not in my hands!
    Cassius: You are precisely wrong. The republic is in your hands. The people will not accept a tyrant’s death unless a Brutus holds the knife.


& Lucius: If our brothers accept Pannonia, Caesar will be extremely grateful to you.
    Mascius: How so?
    Lucius: 5000 denarii.
    Mascius: I don’t understand you.
    Lucius: I think you do.
    Mascius: I have been true to my brothers since I first spilled blood. You think I would betray them now for 5000 denarii?
    Lucius: Seven then.
    Mascius: It might be 20000... I am not so greedy as some.
    Lucius: Not so greedy as who?
    Mascius: I merely say that my honor is not for sale so cheap.
    Lucius: In favoring Pannonia, you would not betray our brothers. If they will not have Pannonia, they will have nothing.

    Mascius: Men with swords never starve.
    Lucius: But they still die, captains first.
    Mascius: 15.
    Lucius: 10.
    Mascius: 12.
    Lucius: 12.

& Caesar: So... What does Mascius say?
    Lucius: He will accept Pannonia for 12.
    Caesar: Very good. I did not think he would sell himself so cheap. I must send you to negotiate all my corruptions.
    Lucius: I would rather not, sir.
    Caesar: I spoke in jest.
    Lucius: I understand.
    Caesar: Please. ... You have corrupted one man and saved thousands from banditry. I often wish I were back in Gaul... There is something pleasingly simple about warfare.

& Octavian: Vorenus...
    Caesar: Magistrate Vorenus, if you please. He outranks you now, my boy.
    Octavian: Excuse me, magistrate Vorenus.

& Mascius: Still, I can’t call the boys off now.
    Lucius: Why not?
    Mascius: Because it makes me look bad.
    Lucius: You could look far worse. You will tell them?
    Mascius: ...... I will if I have to. ... Look at us, brother. How has it come to this?..
    Lucius: It is for the good of the republic.
    Mascius: It’s a worthy cause then.
    Lucius: Just call them off.

& Caesar: Be reasonable! You’re on every wall with a knife at my throat! I would be foolish to ignore it.
    Brutus: Only tyrants need worry about tyrant killers. And you are no tyrant. Haven’t you told me so many times?
    Caesar: ... You may go.

& Gladiator 1: Stand up and fight!
    Pullo: I don’t want to.
    Gladiator 1: That’s not how it works. You’re supposed to resist.
    Pullo: Not if I don’t want to. I just want to die, all right? So go ahead and kill me and be done with it.
    Gladiator 2: Bollocks! ... Move!
    Gladiator 1: What’s wrong with you? Where’s your dignity?..
    Gladiator 2: Hey, soldier, wake up! Why don’t you come here and suck my cock?
    Gladiator 1: Look, just hold your sword. Just stand up and hold it, that’s all, you don’t have to run about or anything.
    Gladiator 2: You’re naught but a bloody molly! You and the whole Thirteenth! Naught but bloody mollys!
    Pullo: Don’t talk the Thirteenth.
    Gladiator 2: Eh?.. I piss on the Thirteenth!
    Gladiator 1: Pigspawn, all of them.
    Gladiator 2: Why don’t you and the whole Thirteenth all line up and suck my...? .....

& Brutus: Mother?.. I owe Caesar no more friendship. I must do my duty.


-- Dict:
sway — влияние; власть

+ on Imdb.

__ Corruption!

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий