21 окт. 2016 г.

The Sum of Us

& Harry Mitchell: He must think he’s meeting Mr. Right, tonight. He won’t be eating any Sara Lee. You’re probably wondering about that. About him meeting Mr. Right. Well, «might as well get it out into the open,» as the actress said to the bishop. He won’t be meeting any girl tonight. He’s what you might call «cheerful.» Can’t bear that other word.

& Harry Mitchell: Well, up your bum.
    Greg: ???
    Jeff Mitchell: It’s just a joke. Dad’s always making jokes.
    Harry Mitchell: Yeah, like that time with the lavender floor polish—
    Jeff Mitchell: Steady on dad, it’s a bit off, that.
    Harry Mitchell: Is that?
    Jeff Mitchell: In company.
    Greg: What was that about lavender floor polish?
    Jeff Mitchell: Don’t worry about it, you wouldn’t be interested. It’s just a misunderstanding.

& Harry: Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do, you two.

& Jeff: «Oh, the agonizing pain of it all,» that’s what she said. I’ve often wondered what she meant but... I suppose I knew, straight away. She just wanted someone to talk to. Someone to laugh with, have a good time with, get drunk with. Cuddle up to. Doesn’t seem a lot to ask, does it?
    I mean, for fuck’s sake, how can you be too bloody domestic?


& Joyce: I must say, you always know the right thing to say to a woman.
    Harry: Oh! Life without women would be... like a barbecue without beer, wouldn’t it?

& Harry: You should be out looking at the world, making a contribution. Sowing your oats, eh? Something wonderful, like love, the greatest adventure of all.
    Jeff: I make a contribution, mate. I look after people’s drains. You know, life would be pretty shitty without plumbers.

& Harry: I like women. I like the way they’re put together. I like them all soft and squishy. I like having them, for Pete’s sake!

& Jeff: I do it. Of course I do, who doesn’t? Got to relieve the tension, somehow. But he makes it sound like I’m some sort of rampant sex maniac. You don’t like to think of your own dad doing that, do you? I mean, you know he must. Doesn’t seem quite right, does it?

& Harry: I made up my mind that no matter what, he’d be his own man. And I knew that I’d love him... But he drives me screaming up the wall, sometimes!

& Harry: You’ve done it with girls?! You never told me that.
    Jeff: Yeah. I didn’t want you to get your hopes up.
    Harry: Did you like it?!
    Jeff: See what I mean?

& Harry: Ashamed of Jeff... Never. Disappointed? Yeah, disappointed that... That he’ll never give me a grandchild. Disappointed that I honestly believe he’d be missing out on something wonderful. What I had with his mom, making a baby. Knowing that I’d put the seed in there, and watching it grow, then seeing him. But if he’s never going to have that, then I want him to have all the things he can have.
    Our children are only the sum of us. What we add up to. Us, and our parents and our grandparents and theirs. All the generations.

& Harry: The trouble with having a stroke is that people treat you like a fuckwit afterwards.

& Harry: How do you say «Thank you» for 40 years of love?

--
+ quotes on the IMDb

+ Soundtracks

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий