17 окт. 2016 г.

Race

& Larry Snyder: Me personally, I don’t trust naturals, ’cause they think they don’t have to work. I will say, you can run. And, boy, oh, boy, you can jump. What I wanna know is, can you win? And what I mean by that is, can you work?

& Larry Snyder: Records don’t mean shit! You know what matters? Medals. Some kid come out of nowhere, snatch your record from you like that. But a gold medal? That’s yours for life.

& Larry Snyder: You wanna win a gold medal?
    Jesse Owens: Well, sure.
    Larry Snyder: You wanna do it in Berlin?

& Jesse Owens: You know, I... I heard they don’t care much for colored folk over there.
    Larry Snyder: Well, they don’t care for ’em much here in Columbus either. Is that gonna be a problem?

& Larry Snyder: ...And we’re gonna work on your syncopation.
    A lot people think a shorter stride makes you slower. Well, a lot of people are wrong. A shorter stride means more strides and a faster time. When your feet are in the air, you’re not moving forward. So let’s get those legs working double-time.

& Avery Brundage: I walk in a man’s house, I’m not gonna piss on his rug. But I don’t expect him to feed me manure and call it foie gras. You wanna use these games to sell your nasty little ideas to the world, and I’m here to tell you no one is gonna stand for it. You gotta clean up your act.
    Leni Riefenstahl: Would you like me to translate or interpret?

& Larry Snyder: Ten seconds, fellas. That’s all you get to run the 100. Sixty strides, and every single one of them counts. There’s no margin for error, all right? You could fall down in the 400, pick yourself up and still place. Not here.
    Now, if you’re over-striding, if your cadence is too slow, it can cost you a quarter of a second the whole race. Every fraction of every second counts, but it’s your start that counts the most of all.


& Larry Snyder: They will love you or they will hate you. Does not matter. ’Cause either way, when you’re out there, you’re on your own.

& Jesse Owens: Well, I’ll tell you what. You stick with me, I’ll make a great coach out of you.

& Jesse Owens: Figures... ’Cause you know, out there on that track, you’re free of all this. The moment that gun go off, can’t nothing stop me. Not color, not money, not fear, not even hate. There ain’t no black and white. There’s only fast and slow. For those 10 seconds, you are completely free.

& Larry Snyder: A man competes to prove something to himself. That he’s the best he knows how to be. Nothing else matters.

& Jesse Owens: Uh, sir, where are the colored dorms?
    — There are no colored dorms.
    Jesse Owens: We’re with y’all?
    Marty: Now, don’t worry. We’ll keep the noise down!

& Carl ’Luz’ Long: I love my country, but it’s no secret my government’s going insane. They don’t bother to hide it. I don’t even think they are ashamed. A few nights ago, they sent a girl to my room to wish me luck. She wanted to sleep with me.
    Jesse Owens: Governor Davey sent me a telegram and a case of Coca-Cola. I should emigrate.
    Carl ’Luz’ Long: No. No. ... I think all things considered, you’re actually better off in America.
    Jesse Owens: I don’t... I don’t know if there’s much difference deep down.

& Carl ’Luz’ Long: Believe me, I would have preferred to beat you, but it wouldn’t have been for them. If they want to make these games a weapon, they can’t complain when it’s used against them. Maybe now they see how stupid it was to even try.

& Jesse Owens: ...isn’t that cheating?
    Leni Riefenstahl: Cheating?
    Jesse Owens: Yeah. I’m just saying that’s not the actual jump I made.
    Leni Riefenstahl: You did make that jump. We all saw it. You made history out here. All I’m doing is making sure years from now, those people who weren’t there can see it too. So they never forget what you did.

& Doorman: I’m sorry, sir, but your friends will have to use the service entrance.
    Larry Snyder: Are you kidding me? You know who this is? I mean, they’re holding the dinner for him!
    Doorman: Yes, sir. I’m sorry, Mr. Owens, sir, but those are the rules.

--
+ quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий