24 апр. 2011 г.

The King's Speech

& [Future Queen] Elizabeth: Excuse me, Doctor. What is the purpose of this?
    Doctor: It’s the classic approach. It cured Demosthenes.
    Elizabeth: That was in Ancient Greece. Has it worked since?

& Elizabeth: Hello? Is anyone there?
    Lionel Logue: I’m just in the loo*. Ah, Mrs. Johnson, there you are. I’m sorry, I don’t have a receptionist. I like to keep things simple. “Poor and content is rich and rich enough.”
    Elizabeth: I’m sorry?
    Lionel: Shakespeare.

& Lionel: I’m sure of anyone who wants to be cured.
    Elizabeth: Of course he wants to be cured. My husband is, um... Well, he’s required to speak publicly.
    Lionel: Perhaps he should change jobs.
    Elizabeth: He can’t.
    Lionel: Indentured servitude*?
    Elizabeth: Something of that nature, yes.

& Elizabeth: And what if my husband were the Duke of York?
    Lionel: The Duke of York?
    Elizabeth: Yes. The Duke of York.
    Lionel: I thought the appointment was for Johnson. Forgive me, Your...
    Elizabeth: Royal Highness.
    Lionel: ... Royal Highness.

& Princess Margaret: Now Papa, tell a story.
    [Future King] George [VI]: Can’t I be a penguin instead?
    Margaret: Well, no, I want a penguin story.

& George: And as they kissed him... guess what he turned into?
    Princess Elizabeth: A handsome prince?
    George: A short-tailed albatross.
    Margaret: Oh.
    George: With wings so big, that he could wrap them both around his two girls together.

& George: Where did you find this... physician?
    Elizabeth: Classifieds. Next to a “French model, Shepherd’s Market.” No, he comes highly recommended. Charges substantial fees to help the poor. Oh, dear. Perhaps he’s a Bolshevik.

& Lionel: Please, make yourself comfortable. ... I was told not to sit too close. ... I believe when speaking with a prince, one waits for the prince to choose the topic.
    George: Waiting for me to... commence a conversation, one can wait rather a long wait.

& George: Aren’t you going to start treating me, Dr. Logue?
    Lionel: Only if you’re interested in being treated.

& Lionel: Please, call me Lionel.
    George: No, I... prefer Doctor.
    Lionel: I prefer Lionel. What will I call you?
    George: Your Royal Highness. Then... it’s “sir” after that.
    Lionel: It’s a little bit formal for here. I prefer names.
    George: Prince Albert Frederick Arthur... George.
    Lionel: How about Bertie?

& George: You’re playing music!
    Lionel: I know.
    George: So how can I hear what I’m saying?!
    Lionel: Well, surely a prince’s brain knows what its mouth’s doing?
    George: You’re not... well acquainted* with royal princes, are you?

& George: Papa, I don’t... think I can read this.
    King George V: This devilish device will change everything if you don’t. In the past, all a king had to do was look respectable in uniform and not fall off his horse. Now, we must invade people’s homes and ingratiate* ourselves with them. This family’s been reduced to those lowest, basest of all creatures. We’ve become actors.
    George: We’re not a family, We’re a firm.
    George V: Yet at any moment, some of us may be out of work.

& George V: When I’m dead, that boy will ruin himself, this family and this nation within 12 months. Who will pick up the pieces, hmm? Herr Hitler intimidating half of Europe. Marshal Stalin the other half. Who will stand between us, the jackboots* and the proletarian abyss*?

& George: Shall I see you next week?
    Lionel: I shall see you every day.

& Lionel: Who were you closest to in your family?
    George: Nannies. Not my first nanny. She... She loved David. Hated me. When we were... presented to my parents for the daily viewing, she would... she’d pinch me so that I’d cry and be handed back to her immediately. And then she would... ... ...
    Lionel: Sing it.
    George: Then she wouldn’t feed me. Far, far away. Took my parents... three years to notice.

& Lionel: Why do you stammer so much more with David than you ever do with me?
    George: Because you’re bloody well paid to listen!
    Lionel: Bertie, I’m not a geisha girl.
    George: Stop trying to be so bloody clever.

& Myrtle Logue: What’s the matter, love?
    Lionel: I’m just having trouble with a patient.
    Myrtle: That isn’t like you. Why?
    Lionel: He’s scared. He’s afraid of his own shadow.
    Myrtle: Isn’t that why they come to you?
    Lionel: This fellow could really be somebody great. He’s fighting me.
    Myrtle: Perhaps he doesn’t want to be great. Perhaps that’s what you want.
    Lionel: I might have overstepped the mark.
    Myrtle: Apologize. Do you both good.

& Winston Churchill: Parliament will not support the marriage. But there are other reasons for concern. He was careless with state papers. He lacked commitment and resolve, and there are those who are worried about where he will stand when war comes with Germany.
    George: We’re not coming to that?
    Churchill: Indeed we are, sir. Prime Minister Baldwin may deny this, but Hitler’s intent is crystal clear. War with Germany will come. And we will need a King whom we can all stand behind, united.



& Myrtle: Oh! You’re...
    Elizabeth: It’s “Your Majesty” the first time. After that, it’s “Ma’am ” As in “ham.” Not “malm” as in “palm.”

& Archbishop: ... Now, allow me to guide you through the ceremony. We begin, of course, at the West door into the nave.
    George: I see all your pronouncements are to be broadcast, Archbishop.
    Archbishop: Ah, yes. Wireless. It is, indeed, a Pandora’s box, and I’m afraid I’ve also had to permit the newsreel cameras.

& George: You give a very noble account of yourself.
    Lionel: Make inquiries. It’s all true.
    George: Inquiries have been made. You have no idea who I have breathing down my neck. I vouched for you, and you have no... credentials.
    Lionel: But lots of success. I can’t show you a certificate. There was no training then. Everything I know, I know from experience.

& George: What are you doing? Get up! You can’t sit there! Get up!!
    Lionel: Why not? It’s a chair.
    George: No, it... That is not a chair! That is... That... That is Saint Edward’s chair.
    Lionel: People have carved their names on it.
    George: That chair is the seat on which every King...
    Lionel: It’s held in place by a large rock.
    George: That is the Stone of Scone! You are trivializing everything.
    Lionel: I don’t care how many royal assholes have sat on this chair.
    George: Listen to me! Listen to me!
    Lionel: Listen to you? By what right?
    George: By Divine Right, if you must. I am your King!
    Lionel: No, you’re not. You told me so yourself. You said you didn’t want it. Why should I waste my time listening to you?
    George: Because I have a right to be heard! I have a voice!!
    Lionel: Yes, you do.

& Archbishop: Your Majesty’s function is to consult and be advised. And now I advise you.
    George: In this personal matter, I will make my own decision.
    Archbishop: My concern is for the head on which I must place the crown.
    George: I appreciate that, Archbishop. But it’s my head.
    Archbishop: Your humble servant.

& Lionel: Now, when you and Elizabeth enter through the West door, you will be greeted by the hymn “I was glad when they said unto me.” Actually, you won’t be that glad because they do sing it for a very long time. Then your friend, the Archbishop, will ponce up the stairs towards you, and say, “Sir, is Your Majesty willing to take the oath?”
    George: “I am willing.”
    Lionel: Well, of course you are. I’m gonna see what this sounds like in the cheap seats, so even your old nanny can hear.

& Lionel: ... Then there’s a very long bit about upholding the faith. It goes on, rubbish, rubbish, rubbish, to which you finally say... “The things which I have... here before promised, I will perform and keep. So help me God.” And that’s all you say. Four short responses. Kiss the book, sign the oath, and you’re King. Easy.

& Prime Minister Baldwin: Churchill was right all along. This was always Hitler’s intention. I’m only very sorry to leave you at this great time of crisis. I’m very much afraid, sir, that your greatest test is yet to come.

& George: There may be dark days ahead... and...
    Lionel: Try again.
    George: There may be dark days ahead, and...
    Lionel: Turn the hesitations into pauses and say to yourself, “God save the King.”
    George: I say that continuously, but apparently no one’s listening.
    Lionel: Long pauses are good. They add solemnity to great occasions.
    George: Then I’m the solemnest king who ever lived. You know, if I’m a king, where’s my power? Can I... can I form a government? Can I... can I... levy* a tax? Declare a... a war? No. And yet I’m the seat of all authority. Why? Because... the nation believes that when I... I speak, I speak for them. But I can’t speak.
    Lionel: Let’s take it all again from the top. “In this grave hour...”

& George: In this grave hour... Fuck, fuck, fuck. Perhaps the most fateful in our history... Bugger, shit, shit.

& George: Logue. However this turns out... I don’t know how to thank you... for what you’ve done.
    Lionel: ... Knighthood?

& — Twenty seconds.
    Lionel: Forget everything else, and just say it to me. Say it to me as a friend.

& Lionel: It was very good, Bertie. You still stammered on the ’W’.
    George: Well, I had to throw in a few, so they knew it was me.

& George: Thank you, Logue. Well done. My friend.
    Lionel: Thank you... Your Majesty. I knew you’d be good.



-- Dict:
loo — туалет
Indentured servitude — Долговая кабала
acquainted — знакомый
ingratiate — снискать расположение
jackboots — сапог
abyss — пропасть
levy — сбор


+ on Imdb.

The King's Speech

__ Oscar deserved.

! Queen Elizabeth = Helena Bonham Carter = Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий