23 янв. 2014 г.

About Time

& Tim: How would I...
    Dad: The ’How?’ is the easy bit, in fact. You go into a dark place, big cupboards are very useful generally. Toilets, at a pinch. Then you clench your fists like this. Think of the moment you’re going to and you’ll find yourself there. After a bit of a stumble and a rumble and a tumble.
    Tim: .... Wow.
    Dad: Is as good a reaction as any. I think I plumped for ’fuck!?’ but it was the ’70s.

& Tim: What have you done with it?
    Dad: For me, it’s books, books, books. I’ve read everything a man could wish to. Twice. Dickens three times.

& Tim: Money would be the obvious thing.
    Dad: Very mixed blessing. Utterly screwed up your grandfather’s life. Left him without love or friends. I’ve never bumped into a genuinely happy rich person.
    Tim: It would be nice not to have to work...
    Dad: No, that’s a real recipe for disaster.

& Tim: Big lesson number one, all the time travel in the world can’t make someone love you.

& Tim: It’s a disaster.
    Harry: Is an understatement. It’s the Titanic of play openings, but with no survivors. No women, no children, not even Kate Winslet. All dead.


& Tim: Milk?
    Mary: Yes.
    Tim: Sugar?
    Mary: No.
    Tim: Boyfriend?

& Mary: It’s a front opener.
    Tim: It’s a what?
    Mary: It opens from the front.

& Mary: Okay. I have some bad news.
    Tim: You’re dying?
    Mary: No, not that bad.
    Tim: I’m dying?
    Mary: No. My parents are in town.

& Charlotte: It’s a lot nicer inside.

& Mum: It’s very bad for a girl to be too pretty. It stops her developing a sense of humor. Or a personality.

& Mary: Honeymoon?
    Tim: Bed and breakfast in Scotland.
    Mary: I am not taking my pants off for Scotland!
    Tim: But it’s all we can afford. Take off your pants.
    Mary: I will not.

& Dad: I’d only give one piece of advice to anyone marrying. We’re all quite similar in the end. We all get old and tell the same tales too many times. But try and marry someone kind.

& Tim: There’s a song by Baz Luhrmann called Sunscreen. He says worrying about the future is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life will always be things that never crossed your worried mind.

& Tim: Mum. How are you?
    Mum: Honestly?
    Tim: Why not?
    Mum: I am fucking furious. I am so uninterested in a life without your father.

& Tim: ...And so he told me his secret formula for happiness. Part one of the two part plan was that I should just get on with ordinary life, living it day by day, like anyone else. ... Part two of Dad’s plan: He told me to live every day again almost exactly the same. The first time with all the tensions and worries that stop us noticing how sweet the world can be, but the second time noticing.

& Mary: What do you think about the kids?
    Tim: What about them?
    Mary: Not many of them, are there?.. Well, I mean two?
    Tim: It’s more than the Chinese are allowed!

& Mary: I just thought that maybe, you know, it was time for the insurance baby.
    Tim: What?
    Mary: In case one of them is really smart, we don’t want the other one to feel stupid their whole life. And if we had a third one, then we could have two happy dummies.

& Tim: Why don’t we wait a bit?
    Mary: Absolutely. You’re right. Yeah... How about now?.. Or now?.. Now?
    Tim: Yeah, okay.

& Tim: The truth is, I now don’t travel back at all. Not even for the day. I just try to live every day as if I’ve deliberately come back to this one day to enjoy it as if it was the full final day of my extraordinary, ordinary life.

& Tim: We’re all travelling through time together every day of our lives. All we can do is do our best to relish this remarkable ride.

--
+ quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий