8 нояб. 2012 г.

The Rat Race

Elementary 1x4


& Watson: I haven’t heard from him in over three hours. He’s not responding to texts, he’s not answering his phone...
    Gregson: All due respect, but you know your boss is a weirdo, right?

& Gregson: Don’t know why you guys couldn’t have just told me that, but... fine.
    Watson: Okay, it’s not like that. It’s... we’re not together together.

& Aaron: “YT? ND U ASAP?” What, are you texting with a teenager?
    Watson: A fully-grown adult, actually. ...
    Aaron: Oh... “CUS”? I’m guessing that’s “see you soon,” but what is “IMLTHO”?
    Holmes: ... It means “In my less than humble opinion.”

& Holmes: Language is evolving, Watson, becoming a more efficient version of itself. I love text shorthand. It allows you to convey content and tone without losing velocity.

& Watson: Uh, is that what you’re going to wear?
    Holmes: What’s wrong with it?
    Watson: It... I’m pretty sure you slept in that T-shirt last night, and, um, the guys on Wall Street are a little more... formal in the way they dress.
    Holmes: Those are costumes. I loathe bankers. They rigged the roulette wheel of commerce, very nearly destroyed the world economy, and they still think if they wear suits they’ll be treated like respectable folk instead of the crooks that they are.

& Fowkes: He also said that you were the finest investigator he’d ever known. We’d like to hire you and your, uh... associate.
    Holmes: Bodyguard.


& Holmes: Luckily for you, Mr. Fowkes, I have a hole in my schedule. My usual private consulting rates will apply, of course, multiplied by a factor of 12, shall we say? You’re wondering if I’m worth it. I could provide a demonstration, if you’d like.

& Watson: So you loathe Canon-Ebersole and everything they stand for. But you love to spend their money. You don’t see any inconsistency there?
    Holmes: I’m redistributing as many of their assets as I can.

& Watson: You speak Mandarin?
    Holmes: Not as well as I’d like. You?
    Watson: Not as well as my mother would like.

& Watson: ...when he said he hadn’t [married] and this isn’t something I would’ve noticed before I started working with you... but I... could swear he wasn’t telling the truth.
    Holmes: Flexing our deductive muscles, are we? I could burst with pride. The next step is confirmation. It’s easy enough to find out if he was married. What was his last name?
    Watson: Whoa! Hold on. Not a cyber-stalker.
    Holmes: Do you want to find out if you’re right or don’t you?
    Watson: ... His last name is Ward.
    Holmes: Quick visit to maritalrecords.com... tells us that Aaron Ward of New York City was... Oh.
    Watson: “Oh?” “Oh”... what does that mean?
    Holmes: He wasn’t married.
    Watson: Oh.
    Holmes: He is married. To a woman called Grace Arber. They just celebrated their anniversary.
    Watson: How could Emily set me up with a married guy?
    Holmes: Well, look at it this way: your instincts were right. And you’re home early, so I assume you haven’t become an unwitting adulteress.

& Fowkes: You think there’s a sociopath working for us? Let me let you in on a little secret, Mr. Holmes... We’re all sociopaths.

& Holmes: Besides... I need time to think, which means it’s not gonna get any quieter around here.

& Donna: I’ve seen executives like you come and go. A little bit of smarts, a whole lot of ego.
    Holmes: Take my word, you’ve never seen anyone like me.
    Donna: Oh, sure, I have. My bosses use $5,000 suits to get attention. You use a scarf and an old T-shirt.

& Holmes: I can’t take a tranquilizer, but if it’s not too much trouble, I’d love ten minutes hooked up to your oxygen rig. ... I’ll just help myself then.

& Holmes: Well done, Watson. Your deductive skills are not unworthy of further development.
    Watson: I think that was a compliment, buried in a double negative, so... thanks.

& Gregson: We have something to talk about?
    Holmes: There are any number of reasons why I didn’t tell you about my history. Um... I’ve told myself dozens, all of them specious. In the end, um, it... it is simple. Uh, I was... I was... I was embarrassed.

& Holmes: It has its costs.
    Watson: What does?
    Holmes: Learning to see the puzzle in everything. They’re everywhere. Once you start looking, it’s impossible to stop. It just so happens that people, and all the deceits and delusions that inform everything they do, tend to be the most fascinating puzzles of all. Of course, they don’t always appreciate being seen as such.
    Watson: Seems like a lonely way to live.
    Holmes: As I said, it has its costs.

--
loathe — ненавидеть; испытывать отвращение

+ quotes on the IMDb


Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий