16 окт. 2011 г.

The Tree of Life

Viewing inspired by Scott Berkun


& Mrs. O'Brien: The nuns taught us there were two ways through life - the way of nature and the way of grace. You have to choose which one you'll follow.
    Grace doesn't try to please itself. Accepts being slighted, forgotten, disliked. Accepts insults and injuries.
    Nature only wants to please itself. Get others to please it too. Likes to lord it over them. To have its own way. It finds reasons to be unhappy when all the world is shining around it. And love is smiling through all things.
    The nuns taught us that no one who loves the way of grace ever comes to a bad end.


& Mr. O'Brien: You can't just take off the top. You got to get them by the roots.
    Your mother's naive. It takes fierce will to get ahead in this world. If you're good, people take advantage of you. Every one of these top executives, you know how they got where they are? Floated right down the middle of the river.
    Don't let anyone tell you there's anything you can't do. Don't do like I did, promise me that. Dreamed of being a great musician. I let myself get sidetracked.
    If you're looking for something to happen, that was it. Life, lived it.

& Mr. O'Brien: Job imagined he might build his nest on high. That the integrity of his behavior would protect him against misfortune. And his friends thought mistakenly that the Lord could only have punished him because secretly he had done something wrong... But no.
    Misfortune befalls the good as well. We can't protect ourselves against it. We can't protect our children. We can't say to ourselves, even if I'm not happy, I'm going to make sure they are.
    We run before the wind, we think that it will carry us forever. It will not.
    We vanish as a cloud, we whither as the autumn grass. And like a tree, are rooted up.
    Is there some fraud in the scheme of the universe? Is there nothing which is deathless? Nothing, which does not pass away?
    We cannot stay where we are. We must journey forth. We must find that which is greater than fortune or fate. Nothing can bring us peace, but that.
    Is the body of the wise man or the just, exempt from any pain?
    From any disquietude, from the deformity that might blight its beauty from the weakness, that might destroy its health.

& Mr. O'Brien: You know Jack, all I ever wanted for you was... Make you strong and, grow up and be your own boss. Maybe I've been tough on you. I'm not proud of that.
Jack: I'm as bad as you are. I'm more like you than her.
Mr. O'Brien: It was about all I've done in life, otherwise I've drawn zilch. You're all I have, you're all I want to have. My sweet boy.

--
+ quotes on the Imdb.

__ So straaaange. And cool simultaneously. And great played too. Thoughtful.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий