15 июн. 2023 г.

White Noise (2022)

Babette: Life is good, Jack...
Jack: What brings this on?
Babette: I just feel it has to be said.

Babette: I want to die first.
Jack: You sound almost eager.
Babette: Life would feel unbearably sad and lonely without you. Especially if the children were grown up and living elsewhere.
Jack: Right now we're safe. As long as the children are here. They need us. It's great having these kids around but once they get big and scattered, I want to go first.
Babette: No, Jack. Your death would leave an abyss in my life. I'd be left talking to chairs and pillows.
Jack: Your death would be more than an abyss.
Babette: What's more than an abyss?
Jack: A yawning gulf. Your death would be a profound depth... A void.

Jack: I hope we both live forever. Doddering, toothless, liver-spotted, hallucinating... Who decides these things? Who's out there? Who are you?

Jack: All plots move deathward. This is the nature of plots. Political plots, terrorist plots, lovers' plots. Narrative plots. Plots that are a part of children's games. We edge nearer to death every time we plot. It's like a contract all must sign. The plotters, as well as the targets of the plot.

Murray: Family is the cradle of the world's misinformation.
Jack: There must be something in family life that generates factual error.
Murray: That's because facts threaten our happiness and security.
Babette: It's the over-closeness, the noise and the heat of being.

Babette: My life is either/or. Either I chew regular gum or I chew sugarless gum. Either I chew gum or I smoke. Either I smoke or I gain weight. Either I gain weight or I run up the stadium steps.
Jack: Sounds like a boring life.
Babette: I hope it lasts forever.

Babette: Maybe we ought to be more concerned about the cloud. I know we don't want to scare the kids... Jack: Nothing is going to happen.
Babette: I know nothing's going to happen, you know nothing's going to happen, but we ought to think about it just in case. It's just, I mean, when do we know when this is real?

Heinrich: They're not calling it the black billowing cloud anymore.
Jack: What are they calling it?
Heinrich: The airborne toxic event.

Jack: Doesn't anyone want to pay attention to what's actually happening?
Babette: Dad wants credit for fording the creek.
Jack: No, I don't want credit. Forget it, go back to your conversation.
Denise: What if there was a waterfall?
Steffie: Dad, is there a waterfall?

Murray: Everything is fine, and will continue to be fine as long as the supermarket doesn't slip... Do you know the Tibetans believe there's a transitional state between death and rebirth? That's what I think when I come here. The supermarket is a waiting place. It recharges us spiritually. It's a gateway. Look how bright. Look how full of psychic data, waves and radiation. All the letters and numbers are here, all the colors of the spectrum, all the voices and sounds, all the code words and ceremonial phrases. We just have to know how to decipher it.

Dr. Lu: Why so many checkups, Mr. Gladney? In the past, you were always afraid to know if anything was wrong.
Jack: I'm still afraid.
Dr. Lu: Well, I'm glad you're finally taking your status as patient seriously.
Jack: My status?
Dr. Lu: Once people leave the doctor's office, they tend to forget that they are patients. But a doctor doesn't cease being a doctor at close of day. Neither should patient.

Dr. Lu: Together, as doctor and patient, we can do things that neither of us could do separately.

Babette: Kids, listen to me. Hold hands when you cross the street. Be careful around swimming pools. If you think someone is a kidnapper, they probably are.

Babette: It was my last resort, my last hope. First, I'd offered him my mind. Now I offered my body. Jack: How do you offer your body to a composite of three or more people?
Babette: This is a compound person.
Jack: Let's concentrate on the genitals. How many sets are we talking about?

Babette: I love you. I just fear death more than I love you. And I really, really love you.

Babette: What does the Church say about Heaven these days? Is it still the old Heaven, like that?
Sister Hermann Marie: Do you think we are stupid? We are here to take care of sick and injured. Only this. You want to talk about Heaven, you find another place.
Babette: When why do you have that picture on the wall?
Sister Hermann Marie: It's for others, not for us.
Jack: You don't believe in Heaven? A nun?
Sister Hermann Marie: If you don't, why should I?
Jack: If you did, maybe we would.
Sister Hermann Marie: If I did, maybe you would not have to. Someone must appear to believe.
Babette: Is death the end then? Does anything survive?
Sister Hermann Marie: Do you want to know what I believe or what I pretend to believe?

Jack: You're a nun! Act like one!
Sister Hermann Marie: You come in from the street, married, dragging a body by the foot, and talk about angels that live in the sky. Get out from here! So maybe you should try to believe in each other.


+ Quotes on the IMDb
+ Soundtracks

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий