11 апр. 2014 г.

Nymphomaniac: Vol. I

& Joe: Maybe I know where to start. But if you’re to understand, I’ll... I’ll have to tell you the whole story. And it will be long.
    Seligman: Long... is good.
    Joe: And moral, I’m afraid.

& Joe: I never forgot those two humiliating numbers.
    Seligman: Three and five? Those are Fibonacci numbers.
    Joe: That may be. In any case, it hurt like hell.

& Seligman: Oh, little darling...
    Joe: Don’t you ’little darling’ me!
    Seligman: No. What I wanted to say was that... if you have wings, why not fly.

& Seligman: My parents gave me the name as a... as a sort of sentimental association to Judaism. But we’ve always been anti-Zionists. Which is not the same as being anti-Semitic, as certain political powers try to convince us.
Ω Why now is clear. Why here? Well, ’cause an artist uses that stage which he has, right?

& Seligman: Seligman means ’the happy one’.
    Joe: So, are you happy, then?
    Seligman: Well, I suppose I am. In my own way. Even if I’m the sort of person who cuts the nails of the right hand first.
    Joe: What does that mean?
    Seligman: Well, I divide humanity into two groups: The people who cut the nails of the left hand first and the people who cut the nails of the right hand first. My theory is that the people who cut the nails of the left hand first, they... they... they’re more light-hearted. They have a tendency to enjoy life more because they go straight for the easiest task and save their difficulties for later... So what do you do?
    Joe: Always the left hand first. I don’t think there’s a choice. Go for the pleasure first, always, and then once you’ve done the left hand, only the right hand remains, and that’s the easiest one left.
    Seligman: I’ve never thought of it like that.


& B.: You think... you know everything about sex. The secret ingredient to sex... is love.

& Joe: For me, love was just lust with jealousy added. Everything else was total nonsense.

& Joe: For every hundred crimes committed in the name of love, only one is committed in the name of sex.

& Seligman: Love is blind.
    Joe: No, no, no, it’s worse. Love distorts things. Or even worse, love is something you’ve never asked for.

& Joe: The erotic was something I asked for or even demanded of men. But this idiotic love... I felt humiliated by it and all the dishonesty that follows. The erotic is about saying yes. Love appeals to the lowest instincts, wrapped up in lies. How do you say yes when you mean no and vice versa?

& Seligman: It’s Bach. From his little organ book. ’Ich ruf’ zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ.’

& Seligman: Polyphony is... from the Middle Ages. It’s an entirely European phenomenon. It’s distinguished by... by the idea that every voice is its own melody but together in harmony.

& Seligman: The sum of the numeric values represented in Bach’s name is 14 (2+1+3+8), a number he often used in his compositions. The clever thing about Bach’s name is that the numeric value of the individual letters are all Fibonacci numbers.

& Seligman: This piece has three voices: A bass voice, the second voice played with the left hand, the first voice played with the right hand. That is called Cantus Firmus... And together, these three voices create the polyphony.

& Joe: When my busy life allowed a few breaks, I used them to take my walks. These repeated walks became a kind of metaphor for my life: monotonous and pointless. Yes, precisely like the movements of a caged animal. Basically, we’re all waiting for permission to die.

& Seligman: I don’t know if I can believe this...
    Joe: Which way do you think you’d get the most out of my story? By believing in it or by not believing in it?
    Seligman: You’re right. You might have a point with all this.

--
+ quotes on the IMDb

Σ Powerful.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий