13 апр. 2017 г.

All About Eve


& Addison DeWitt: Eve. You all know all about Eve.

& Bill Simpson: The theater. The theater! What rules say the theater exists only within some ugly buildings crowded into one square mile of New York City? Or London, Paris or Vienna? Listen, Junior, and learn.
    Do you wanna know what the theater is? A flea circus. Also opera. Also rodeos, carnivals, ballets, Indian tribal dances, Punch and Judy, a one-man band, all theater. Wherever there’s magic and make-believe and an audience, there’s theater. Donald Duck, Ibsen and The Lone Ranger. Sarah Bernhardt and Poodles Hanneford. Lunt and Fontanne, Betty Grable. Rex the Wild Horse, Eleonora Duse, all theater.
    You don’t understand them all. You don’t like them all. Why should you? The theater’s for everybody, you included, but not exclusively. So, don’t approve or disapprove. It may not be your theater, but it’s theater for somebody, somewhere.
    Eva: I just asked a simple question.
    Bill Simpson: And I shot my mouth off. Nothing personal, Junior. No offense. It’s just that there’s so much bushwa in this ivory greenroom they call the theater, sometimes it gets up around my chin.

& Margo Channing: All the religions in the world rolled into one, and we’re gods and goddesses.

& Margo Channing: Isn’t it silly? Suddenly I’ve developed a big, protective feeling toward her. A lamb loose in our big, stone jungle.

& Margo Channing: You don’t like Eve, do you?
    Birdie Coonan: You want an argument or an answer?
    Margo Channing: An answer.
    Birdie Coonan: No.
    Margo Channing: Why not?
    Birdie Coonan: Now you want an argument.

& Margo Channing: Fasten your seat belts. It’s going to be a bumpy night.


& Margo Channing: Heartburn? It’s that Miss Caswell. I don’t see why she hasn’t given Addison heartburn.
    Bill Sampson: No heart to burn!
    Margo Channing: Everybody has a heart — except some people.

& Margo Channing: Lloyd, I’m not 20-ish. I’m not 30-ish. Three months ago I was 40 years old. 40! Four-0. That slipped out. I hadn’t quite made up my mind to admit it.

& Lloyd Richards: I shall never understand the process by which a body with a voice suddenly fancies itself as a mind. Just when does an actress decide they’re her words she’s saying and her thoughts she’s expressing?
    Margo Channing: Usually at the point when she has to rewrite and rethink them to keep the audience from leaving the theater.
    Lloyd Richards: There comes a time that a piano realizes that it has not written a concerto.
    Margo Channing: And you, I take it, are the Paderewski who plays his concerto on me, the piano?

& Margo Channing: More than anything in this world, I love Bill. And I want Bill. And I want him to want me. But me, not Margo Channing. And if I can’t tell them apart, how can he?

& Margo Channing: Bill’s in love with Margo Channing. He’s fought with her, worked with her, loved her. But ten years from now Margo Channing will have ceased to exist. And what’s left will be... What?

& Margo Channing: It’s funny, a woman’s career. The things you drop on your way up the ladder so you can move faster. You forget you’ll need them again when you get back to being a woman. That’s one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we’ve got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we’ve had or wanted. And in the last analysis, nothing’s any good unless you can look up just before dinner or turn around in bed, and there he is. Without that, you’re not a woman. You’re something with a French provincial office or a book full of clippings, but you’re not a woman. Slow curtain, the end.

& Bill Simpson: Don’t cry. Just score it as an incomplete forward pass.

& Addison DeWitt: We all come into this world with our little egos equipped with individual horns. If we don’t blow them, who else will?

& Margo Channing: In this rat race, everybody’s guilty till proved innocent. One of the differences between the theater and civilization.

& Lloyd Richards: There are very few moments in life as good as this. Let’s remember it. To each of us and all of us, never have we been more close. May we never be farther apart.

& Margo Channing: Groom, may I have a wedding present?
    Bill Simpson: What would you like? Texas?
    Margo Channing: I want everybody to shut up about Eve. Just shut up about Eve. That’s all I want.

& Addison DeWitt: You’re an improbable person, Eve, and so am I. We have that in common. Also our contempt for humanity and inability to love and be loved, insatiable ambition, and talent. We deserve each other.

& Eve Harrington: Although I am going to Hollywood next week to make a film, do not think for a moment that I am leaving you. How could I?

& Addison DeWitt: And what’s your name?
    Phoebe: Phoebe.
    Addison DeWitt: Phoebe?
    Phoebe: I call myself Phoebe.
    Addison DeWitt: And why not? Tell me, Phoebe, do you want someday to have an award like that of your own?
    Phoebe: More than anything else in the world.
    Addison DeWitt: Then you must ask Miss Harrington how to get one. Miss Harrington knows all about it.

--
+++ Quotes on the IMDb
+ любите ли вы театр так, как я люблю его, то есть всеми силами души вашей!

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий