1 мар. 2017 г.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

& Ransom: You all seem to know about this Liberty Valance. He’s a no-good, gun-packing, murdering thief, but the only advice you give me is to carry a gun. Well, I’m a lawyer! Ransom Stoddard, Attorney-at-Law. And the law is the only...
    Nora: A little law and order around Shinbone wouldn’t hurt anyone.

& Appleyard: You all know I’m only the Town Marshal. What Liberty does out on the road ain’t no business of mine. Ain’t that right, Mr Lawyer?
    Ransom: Well, I... Technically, I suppose the hold-up is a territorial offence.
    Appleyard: You mean I’m right?
    Ransom: Yes, Marshal, you’re right.
    Appleyard: I knew it! I knew we’d be friends the minute I stepped in here!

& Appleyard: Now, you folks all know that, well, the jail’s only got one cell, and the lock’s broke, and I sleep in it.

& Ransom: I... I could teach you.
    Hallie: What for? What good has reading and writing done you? Look at you. In an apron!

& Tom Doniphon: The bar is closed, Mr Editor, during voting. You can blame your lawyer friend. He says that’s one of the fundamental laws of democracy. No exception.
    Peabody: No exceptions for the working press? Oh, that’s carrying democracy much too far.

& Peabody: No! I’m a newspaperman, not a politician! No, politicians are my meat! I build ’em up. I tear ’em down. But I wouldn’t be one. I couldn’t be one! It would destroy me!

& Peabody: Good people of Shinbone, I’m your conscience. I’m the still, small voice that thunders in the night. I’m your watchdog that howls against the wolves. I’m... I’m your father confessor! I’m... What else am I?
    Tom Doniphon: Town drunk?


& Peabody: No courage left. Well, courage can be purchased at yon tavern. But have we credit? Huh? That is the question. Have we credit? Well, credit is cheap.

& Peabody: Liberty Valance taking liberties with the liberty of the press?

& Doc Willoughby: Whisky, quick.
    — Here, sir...
    Doc Willoughby: Dead.

& Cassius Starbuckle: Mr Chairman, fellow delegates, ladies and gentlemen, I came here with a carefully prepared speech, but this is no time for oratory. Let me speak to you from the heart...

& Tom Doniphon: You talk too much. Think too much. Besides...

& Tom Doniphon: Go on back in there and take that nomination. You taught her how to read and write. Now give her something to read and write about!

& Scott: This is the west, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.

& Ransom: I’ll write to the officials of this railroad and thank them for their kindness and for going to all this trouble.
    Jason: You think nothing of it. Nothing’s too good for the man who shot Liberty Valance.

--
+++ quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий