13 нояб. 2009 г.

Mad Men 1x01

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes

Season 1, Episode 1



* Don Draper: This is the greatest advertising opportunity since the invention of cereal.
   We have six identical companies making six identical products. We can say anything we want. How do you make your cigarettes?
   Lee Garner, Jr.: I don't know.
   Lee Garner, Sr.: Shame on you.
   We breed insect-repellent tobacco seeds, plant them in the North Carolina sunshine, grow it, cut it, cure it, toast it...
   Draper: There you go. There you go.
{ Writes on chalkboard and underlines: "IT'S TOASTED." }
   Lee Garner, Jr.: But everybody's else's tobacco is toasted.
   Draper: No. Everybody else's tobacco is poisonous. Lucky Strikes'... is toasted.
   Roger Sterling: Well, gentlemen, I don't think I have to tell you what you just witnessed here.
   Lee Garner, Jr.: I think you do.
   Draper: Advertising is based on one thing: happiness. And you know what happiness is?
   Happiness is the smell of a new car. It's freedom from fear. It's a billboard on the side of road that screams with reassurance that whatever you're doing... it's okay. You are okay.



* Pete Campbell: I might have a solution.
   At Sterling Cooper, we've been pioneering the burgeoning field of research, and our analysis shows that the health risks associated with your product is not the end of the world.
   People get in their cars every day to go to work, and some of them die. Cars are dangerous. There's nothing you can do about it. You still have to get where you're going.
   Cigarettes are exactly the same, so why don't we simply say, "So what if cigarettes are dangerous? You're a man. The world is dangerous. Smoke your cigarette. You still have to get where you're going."
   Lee Garner, Jr.: That's very interesting. I mean, if cigarettes were dangerous, it would be interesting.
   Lee Garner, Sr.: Except they aren't. That's your slogan? "You're going to die anyway. Die with us"?
   Pete: Actually, it's a fairly well-established psychological principle that society has a death wish, and if we could just tap into that, the market potential is...
   Lee Garner, Sr.: What the hell are you talking about? Are you insane? I'm not selling rifles here. I'm in the tobacco business. We're selling America. The Indians gave it to us, for shit's sake.


* Draper: Why aren't you married?
   Rachel Menken: Are you asking what's wrong with me?
   Draper: It's just that you're a beautiful, educated woman. Don't you think that getting married and having a family would make you happier than all the headaches that go along with... fighting people like me?
   Rachel: If I weren't a woman, I would be allowed to ask you the same question. And if I weren't a woman, I wouldn't have to choose between putting on an apron and the thrill of making my father's store what I always thought it should be.
   Draper: So that's it. You won't get married because you find business to be a thrill.
   Rachel: That and... I've never been in love.
   Draper: She won't get married because she's never been in love. I think I wrote that once to sell nylons.
   Rachel: For a lot of people, love isn't just a slogan.
   Draper: Oh, you mean love. You mean the big lightning bolt to the heart where you can't eat and you can't work and you just run off and get married and make babies.
   The reason you haven't felt it is because it doesn't exist. What you call love was invented by guys like me to sell nylons.
   Is that right? I'm pretty sure about it.
   You're born alone, and you die alone, and this world just drops a bunch of rules on you to make you forget those facts, but I never forget.
   I'm living like there's no tomorrow... because there isn't one.



--- Словарик:
apron — передник, фартук; домашняя хозяйка; жена
thrill — нервная дрожь; трепет; нервное возбуждение; глубокое волнение
bunch — множество


+ Еще quotes с Imdb.

! I like it. I really like it.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий