12 июл. 2011 г.

Wall Street (2/2)

Beginning

& Bud: Come on, what’s money for? Enjoy yourself.
    Carl Fox: Money is a pain in the ass, if you ask me. But thanks, kid.

& Darien: Isn’t it perfect?
    Bud: It’s too perfect. Let’s not even eat. Let’s just watch it... think about it.

& Bud: Who am I?

& Gekko: Sunshine, what’s wrong? I think you got a bad case of puppy love.
    Darien: I think I’m falling for Bud.
    Gekko: Don’t fall too far. He hasn’t been around the block yet you have.

& Gekko: You and I are the same, Darien. We are smart enough not to buy into the oldest myth running — love. Fiction created by people to keep them from jumping out of windows.

& Gekko: I am not a destroyer of companies. I am a liberator of them!
        The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed*, for lack of a better word... is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
        Greed, in all of its forms — greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge — has marked the upward surge of mankind.

& Carl Fox: I guess if a man lives long enough he gets to see everything, and I do mean everything. What else you got in your bag of tricks, Mr Gekko?
    Gekko: Frankly, Carl, I can’t see giving much more, but, if you have any suggestions, I’ll listen.
    Carl Fox: “There came into Egypt a Pharaoh who did not know.”
    Gekko: I beg your pardon. Is that a proverb?
    Carl Fox: No, a prophecy. The rich have been doing it to the poor since time began. The only difference is the Egyptians didn’t allow unions.

& Bud: You and the whole shitty airline are going down the tubes! And if it isn’t Gekko, it’s gonna be some other killer!
    Carl Fox: He’s using you, kid. He’s got your prick in his pocket, but you’re too blind to see it.
    Bud: No. I see a jealous old machinist... who can’t stand the fact that his son’s more successful than he is!
    Carl Fox: What you see is a guy who never measured a man’s success by the size of his wallet!
    Bud: That’s because you never had the guts to go out into the world and stake your own claim!
    Carl Fox: Boy, if that’s the way you feel, I must’ve done a really lousy job as a father.

& — I figure he’ll make... He’ll clear $60-70m. Not bad for a month’s work. Your boy really did his homework, Fox. And you’ll have the shortest executive career since that Pope that got poisoned.

& Bud: I just found out about the garage sale at Bluestar. Why?!
    Gekko: ... Last night I was reading Rudy Winnie-the-Pooh and the Honey Pot. You know what happened? He stuck his nose in the pot once too often, and he got stuck.
    Bud: Maybe you oughta read him Pinocchio.

& Bud: I thought you were gonna turn Bluestar around, not upside down! You fuckin’ used me!
    Gekko: You’re walking around blind without a cane. A fool and his money are lucky to even meet for the first place.

& Bud: Why do you need to wreck this company?
    Gekko: Because it’s wreckable, all right?!

& Bud: If they lose their jobs, they got nowhere to go! My father has worked there for 24 years! I gave him my word!
    Gekko: It’s all about bucks, kid. The rest is conversation.

& Bud: Tell me, Gordon, when does it all end, huh? How many yachts can you water-ski behind? How much is enough?
    Gekko: It’s not a question of enough, pal. It’s a zero-sum game. Somebody wins, somebody loses.
        Money itself isn’t lost or made, it’s simply transferred... from one perception to another, like magic.
        This painting here. I bought it ten years ago for $60,000. I could sell it today for six hundred. The illusion has become real. And the more real it becomes, the more desperate they want it.
        Capitalism at its finest.


& Bud: How much is enough, Gordon?
    Gekko: The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth. Five trillion dollars. One third comes from hard work, two thirds from inheritance... Interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons...
        And what I do: stock and real-estate speculation. It’s bullshit.
        You got 90% of the American public with little or no net worth. I create nothing. I own.
        We make the rules, pal. The news, war, peace, famine, upheaval, the price of a paperclip. We pick that rabbit out of the hat while everybody wonders how the hell we did it.

& Gekko: You’re not naive enough to think we’re living in a democracy, are you, Buddy? It’s the free market, and you’re part of it.

& Gekko: You got that killer instinct. Stick around, pal. I still got a lot to teach you.
    Bud: Obviously.

& Darien: Bud? What’s going on?
    Bud: I’ve been played like a grand piano by the master, Gekko the Great.

& Bud: Bluestar, Mr. Mannheim. Put all your clients in it. It’s gonna move.
    Lou: I don’t know where you get your information, son, but I don’t like it. The main thing about money, Bud... it makes you do things you don’t wanna do.

& Gekko: Where the hell are you? I am losing millions. You sure as hell better get me out of this... or the only job you’ll have on this street is sweeping it!
    Bud: You once told me, don’t get emotional about stock, Gordon. Don’t. The bid is 16 1/2 and going down. As your broker, I advise you to take it.
    Gekko: Yeah? Well, you take it! Right in the ass, you fuckin’ scumbag cocksucker!
    Bud: It’s two minutes to close, Gordon. What do you wanna do? Decide.
    Gekko: ......... Dump it.

& Bud: Good morning, folks. ... Did somebody die?
    Marvin: Yeah.

& Lou: Bud... Bud, I like you. Just remember something. Man looks in the abyss. There’s nothing staring back at him. At that moment, man finds his character. And that is what keeps him out of the abyss.
    Bud: ... I think I understand.

& Gekko: I took you in! A nobody! I opened doors for you. I showed you how the system works, the value of information, how to get it! ... And this is how you fuckin’ pay me back, you cockroach! I gave you Darien! I gave you your manhood! I gave you everything! You coulda been one of the great ones, Buddy. I look at you... and I see myself... Why?
    Bud: I don’t know. I guess I realised that... I’m just Bud Fox. As much as I wanted to be Gordon Gekko... I’ll always be Bud Fox.

& Bud: Dad, I’m going to jail and you know it.
    Carl Fox: Yeah, well... maybe that’s the price, son. It’s gonna be hard on you... but maybe in a kind of screwed-up way it’s the best thing that coulda happened to you. Stop going for the easy buck and produce something with your life. Create, instead of living off the buying and selling of others.


-- Dict:
greed — жадность; алчность


+ on Imdb.

Wall Street

__ Classics. One continuous quote. Boiler Room's guys a hundred times watched The Film and remember every word from it.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий