21 мая 2020 г.

The Loved One (1965)

Immigration Officer: "Dennis Barlow. Profession..." A.I.D., huh?
Dennis Barlow: Yes, Artificial Insemination Donor. It was just a job I had for a while. Actually, I'm a poet.
Immigration Officer: Poet? An English poet?
Dennis Barlow: Well, yes, I am English.
Immigration Officer: One of them beatnik poets, huh?
Dennis Barlow: Oh, beatnik? No. No, I'm not a beatnik.
Immigration Officer: You got them Beatle haircuts, haven't you?
Dennis Barlow: A Beatle haircut? No, I don't s... It's an ordinary English haircut.

Dennis Barlow: It was either Los Angeles or Calcutta, and I thought, well, what the hell?

Sir Francis Hinsley: I think I'll just have my usual Deep Dish Lolita... and iced tea with a sprig of mint, please.
Dennis Barlow: I'll have Breast of Squab Brigitte... and the Goldwater Nut Flip.

Sir Francis Hinsley: The climate here suits me admirably... the people here are so kind and generous. They talk entirely for their own pleasure. And they never expect you to listen. Remember that, dear boy. It's the secret of social ease in this country.

Whispering Glades Hostess: Was your loved one a relative?
Dennis Barlow: Yes. He was my uncle.
Whispering Glades Hostess: In that case, he must have been Caucasian.
Dennis Barlow: Certainly not. He was English.
Whispering Glades Hostess: Oh, that's all right. English is Caucasian. We prefer that word at Whispering Glades. It's much less offensive than "white."
Dennis Barlow: Well, I can assure you that he was... He was quite white.
Whispering Glades Hostess: The Blessed Reverend has to consider the feelings of the waiting ones. In time of trial, they prefer to be with their own people.

Aimee Thanatogenous: What did you have in mind? Inhumement, entombment, inurnment, immurement? Some people just lately have preferred ensarcophagusment. It's very individual.
Dennis Barlow: Well, I think we'd better just have him buried.

Aimee Thanatogenous: Now, was there anything especially characteristic of your loved one?.. Did he smoke a pipe, perhaps? Some people prefer that their loved ones have a pipe in mouth. I mean, of course, if they smoked one during life. Then, there was a lady who made her leave-taking holding a telephone.
Dennis Barlow: He did carry an umbrella at times. But I don't suppose...
Aimee Thanatogenous: Well, if it were closed.


Mr. Starker: Now, these are lead-coated steels. Medium price range. The Silent Night Special. And very special it is, too, if I may say so. Waterproof, of course.
Dennis Barlow: Waterproof?
Mr. Starker: All our units are waterproof. This offers maximum protection for a unit in the middle price range. Now, here is your handsome Rest King in 7-gauge steel... with a choice of finish in eight color combinations. This unit is guaranteed to give maximum protection. It's moisture-proof, Mr. Barlow. And here are your bronzes. They are dampness-proof.
Dennis Barlow: Dampness-proof?
Mr. Starker: Not merely waterproof, nor moisture-proof, Mr. Barlow... but dampness-proof! Now then, in addition your Emperor model features not a rayon or crepe interior... but an all-silk interior. Tell me, Mr. Barlow, was your uncle a sensitive person?
Dennis Barlow: Yes, I suppose he was.
Mr. Starker: Rayon chafes, you know. Personally, I find it really quite abrasive.
Dennis Barlow: Well, then, I think, then, I'll take the Emperor model.
Mr. Starker: Wonderful, Mr. Barlow. Wonderful... Now then, Mr. Barlow, have you given any thought to exterior designations? I can give you our Eternal Flame in either perpetual eternal or standard eternal.
Dennis Barlow: What is the difference, actually?
Mr. Starker: Well, with standard eternal, your flame burns only during visiting hours. It is shut down at night. With your perpetual eternal, your flame is in service 24 hours a day.
Dennis Barlow: Well, I think the perpetual eternal, wouldn't you?
Mr. Starker: Oh, yes. Yes. Propane or butane, Mr. Barlow?
Dennis Barlow: What?
Mr. Starker: Propane burns bluer.
Dennis Barlow: Oh, well, nicer, I think. Don't you?
Mr. Starker: Definitely! Marvelous. Simply marvelous, Mr. Barlow.

The Guru Brahmin: Okay. "Dear Aimée: The feeling you described for your fresh friend does not sound like love... but still remember, love is a slow-growing seed, which sometimes does not flower... until after marriage and commonly shared experiences. Furthermore, you silly bitch, whichever one you get is much too good for you." Strike out the "bitch." "Examine carefully the intentions of this glib foreign poet."

Aimee Thanatogenous: An American would despise himself for living off his wife!
Dennis Barlow: I'm English. We have none of these prejudices in more developed civilizations.

Dennis Barlow: Why don't I visit you tonight? At your home? I mean, until you see a person's home... you really don't know them.

Aimee Thanatogenous: Well, this is where I live... You see, Dennis, I want to surround myself with beauty. I don't care about what some people call comfort.

Dennis Barlow: Isn't it rather dangerous?
Aimee Thanatogenous: Dangerous?
Dennis Barlow: I mean, isn't it liable to fall down?
Aimee Thanatogenous: Yes. I suppose it is. Come on out. Isn't it enchanting?
Dennis Barlow: Yes. It's absolutely breathtaking.
Aimee Thanatogenous: It's like another world. You know, some people think of death as a negative thing. But you see how wrong they are, don't you? What could be more beautiful and more thrilling than eternal rest?

Aimee Thanatogenous: But Whispering Glades...
Wilbur Glenworthy: Yes, yes, that was all very well in the light of its time. But now all things must change. We're a nation on the move. Death. Death has become a middle-class business. There's no future in it. Soon there shall rise from these grounds... a self-contained city of glass and alloy for our senior citizens.
Aimee Thanatogenous: What about the loved ones?
Wilbur Glenworthy: To the stars, my dear. In a celestial service befitting this grand space age of ours. The loved ones shall soar about the heavens in an orbit of eternal grace. Resurrection now!

Aimee Thanatogenous: Xanadu Falls... Shadowland, Poets' Corner, those are eternal.
Wilbur Glenworthy: No. No, nothing is eternal. All must change... including a young woman's beauty.
Aimee Thanatogenous: No!
Wilbur Glenworthy: Don't be afraid. Beauty occurs in many forms.

Wilbur Glenworthy: Beauty in every form. In every form! Beauty in every form.

Wilbur Glenworthy: Resurrection... Yes, China may brainwash... Russia may educate... but America breeds its genius. Resurrection. Now!

--
+ Quotes on the IMDb
+ Soundtracks

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий