3 апр. 2023 г.

Borg McEnroe (2017)

Talk Show Host: The man The New York Times described as being the worst representative of American values since Al Capone. Ladies and gentlemen, John McEnroe!...

Talk Show Host: John, I gotta ask you. What is it that you've done to the Brits?
John McEnroe: Yeah, I don't know. It's just such a different place, you know? It's a different culture and they have warm beer and it's just a different thing.
Talk Show Host: Have you got a plan to get them to stop booing?
John McEnroe: I plan to go in there and play my game, and if I beat Borg in the finals, it's very hard to boo me if I'm number one.

Talk Show Host: I guess I wouldn't be exaggerating if I were to say that you and Borg are as different as two people could possibly be.
John McEnroe: You keep going back to Borg. Is he backstage? Is he gonna jump out of a cake? Feel like we keep talking about him. You know, I'm here. I'm working interviews.
Talk Show Host: It's just that Borg is often described as being pure perfection and, uh, zero emotion. Do you think he ever loses it?
John McEnroe: I don't know. You're gonna spend the whole fucking interview talking about Borg? You said we were gonna talk about the future of tennis. Now you're gonna bullshit me?!

Björn Borg: Nobody will remember that I won Wimbledon four times in a row. Just taht I lost the fifth time.
Lennart Hyland: Who cares what they think?
Björn Borg: It's like everybody's just waiting... Waiting for me to tumble.
Lennart Hyland: Screw them! Give everything you've got tomorrow, even if it feels like the last thing you do.

Lennart Hyland: It's all in here, Björn... In here!

Club Chairman: Tennis isn't like soccer or hockey, where it's all about winning. In tennis, the way you win is just as important. It's a gentlemen's sport. Let's be honest... Tennis is not a sport suited to all levels of society.

John McEnroe: You know how many times I've tried to do this, go into a match and just been, like, no emotion, all order, just be Borg. This is impossible. This is not... This isn't human. He's like...

John McEnroe: You watch the Borg match? Did you see what I'm seeing? You see him get slower? Like much, much slower? Because he's out of shape?
Phil: You'll understand someday, all right?
John McEnroe: Explain it.
Phil: Look. You got four Wimbledon titles. All right? It's a lot of pressure. Everybody wants to beat Björn. Everybody wants something from Björn. It makes you the loneliest fucking guy on the planet, you know?

Phil: You wanna know what Björn's doing right now?
John McEnroe: Yes.
Phil: He's in bed. His room is cold as fuck because he wants his pulse below 50 beats a minute.
John McEnroe: That's a rumor.
Phil: It's not. He's got all these superstitions. Rituals.
John McEnroe: Cut the shit and say the stuff I want to fucking hear.
Phil: This year, his parents aren't allowed to come. All right? He only lets them come every second year, and when they do, they gotta wear the same clothes throughout the tournament.
John McEnroe: Get the fuck outta here.
Phil: Yeah, right? Every year he trains on the same court, he rents the same hotel, he rents the same car, he sleeps in the same room. His coach always brings 50 rackets strung tight as fuck, and every night before the match, they meet in Lennart's room, going over all the rackets, organizing everything according to tension and key. It's like a fucking religion.

Phil: Mariana, his girlfriend, she takes care of his bag. Same meticulous order. Everything exact. When he gets to the arena, takes the same chair and two towels. Not one. Not three. Two. And he never treads on the baseline.
John McEnroe: Why?
Phil: 'Cause that means bad luck. They say he's an iceberg. Really he's a volcano keeping it all in until boom.

Lennart Hyland: I know what it's like, you know. Sometimes I lost on purpose... just to get away from that awful feeling... when the game slips away. When I lost, I'd go straight to the locker rooms and puke. I couldn't bear losing. That goes for you too. It's life and death to you. The others don't feel the same. They're not like you. That's why they'll never be as good as you can be.

Lennart Hyland: This Saturday, I'm letting you play Onny Parun. On one condition.
Björn Borg: I'm not going to apologize.
Lennart Hyland: ... You dont' have to. But promise me something... Promise to never show a single bloody emotion ever again. Be like a pressure cooker and block everything else out. It just doesn't exist.

Lennart Hyland: All that rage, fear and panic... Load it into every stroke. Into ebery single forehand. Every backhand... Every single shot.

Peter Fleming: You're going to win Wimbledon. If not this year, then it's only a matter of time. You're going to be number one. I know it... But you will never be remembered as one of the greats. You know why?... 'Cause nobody likes you. Not one kid out there wants to be like Johnny Mac when he grows up.

Peter Fleming: You know, in 20 years, the only thing people are gonna say is, "Hey, what was the name of that crazy guy that always yelled at the umpire?"

John McEnroe: You don't understand what the fuck it takes to play tennis! Do you know I go up there, I give everything for this game? Everything. Everything in me gets left out on that fucking court. And none of you understand because none of you do it.

Björn Borg: Everything I've ever done has lead up to this moment.
Lennart Hyland: ... One match left.
Björn Borg: One point at a time.

Björn Borg: It's all right. It's a great match. Just play your tennis.

UK Commentator: If either man took any more punishment, if this were a heavyweight boxing match, they'd stop the fight.

UK Commentator: This is nothing short of unbelievable. No one can recover after losing seven match points in a Wimbledon final. But Borg is playing like nothing happened.


+ Quotes on the IMDb
+ Soundtracks

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий