13 сент. 2020 г.

The Deadly Affair (1967)

Samuel Fennan: But my dear Mr...
Charles Dobbs: Dobbs, Charles Dobbs.
Samuel Fennan: Practically everybody was a member of the Party at Oxford in the '30s. Half the present Cabinet were Party men. You know, Mr. Dobbs, when you're young, you hitch the wagon of whatever you believe in to whatever star looks likely to get the wagon moving. When I was an undergraduate, the wagon was social justice, and the star was Karl Marx. We perambulated with banners. We fed hunger marchers. A few of us fought in Spain. Some of us even wrote poetry... I still believe it was a good wagon, but an impracticable star. We had faith and hope and charity. A wrong faith, a false hope, but I still think the right sort of charity. Our eyes were dewy with it. Dewy and half-shut.
Charles Dobbs: Who opened them?

Morton - Adviser: The police believe it to be a clear case of suicide.
Charles Dobbs: Do you?
Morton - Adviser: What I believe is not the point, Dobbs. The point is, the Foreign Office believe the police. It's unfortunate that in this distressing matter we are now answerable to the two public bodies with whom our current relations are most, shall I say, uneasy.

Charles Dobbs: I was only doing my duty.
Elsa Fennan: To whom, Mr. Dobbs?
Charles Dobbs: We had to check.
Elsa Fennan: Check... Sounds like a game, doesn't it?
Charles Dobbs: It's not a game, Mrs. Fennan.
Elsa Fennan: No. You treat people like wooden pawns. You plot their moves. You write their names on papers, and then you put the papers into files. But sometime the names have wives and children, as well as records. And generally very ordinary human motives to justify their sad little dossier and their make-believe sins. And when that happens, I'm very sorry for you.
Charles Dobbs: Yes, when that happens, I'm very sorry for myself.
Elsa Fennan: Then go back to Whitehall and look for more spies on your drawing board, because you have no place among real people.


Charles Dobbs: How long you staying?
Dieter Frey: A few days. Business lunches, business dinners, I even have a business breakfast. Who knows, I may actually do some business, too.

Charles Dobbs: The un-addicted shouldn't blame the addicted. I'm just relieved that it's less lethal than drink or drugs.

Charles Dobbs: I've always thought that being aggressive was the way to keep my job and being gentle was the way to keep you... Well, I've lost my job, haven't I?

Charles Dobbs: Mendel, I'm going to theorize...
Inspector Mendel: I like facts myself, but go ahead.

Dieter Frey: Oh, Charles. I'm not a child. I know that real love doesn't just explode. If it grows at all, it will grow slowly.

Inspector Mendel: Is she a communist?
Charles Dobbs: I don't think she likes labels. I think she wants to help build one society which can live without conflict. I think she wants peace. The communists have a way of using people like that...

--
+ Quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий