22 сент. 2020 г.

Cosmos (2019)

Mike Webster: How'd you get into all this, anyway?
Harry Knight: Well, my dad's to blame for that one. Which is always the way, right? Took me to see the Perseid meteor shower when I was about seven. And that was that. I never looked back... I remember him telling me that everything down here on Earth, everything we are, everything we're made of, comes from up there. 20 plus years later, I'm a doctor of astrophysics, and I'm getting paid to study distant stars.

Mike Webster: Greetings on behalf of the people of my world. This is Mike Webster... of Planet Earth.
     We are here. We are not afraid.
     If you are out there and you are listening, this is a routine response to an acquired signal at... 01:33 GMT, 16.10.16. Unidentified source.
     Your signal made it. We are listening.
     Oh, and if this is the local police station, I'm sorry if I'm interfering with your gear again. But perhaps you should have invested in some better radio equipment.


Roy Kennedy: It's got to be bouncing.
Harry Knight: What, off the ionosphere?
Mike Webster: No, it's not bounce.
Roy Kennedy: It's got to be. It's got to be bounce.
Mike Webster: Look, we're talking milliseconds to come back off the ionosphere.
Harry Knight: Well, the Moon then.
Mike Webster: No, still just over a second.
Roy Kennedy: Well, it's got to be a ping-back or something up there.
Harry Knight: Mike, when did you transmit this?
Mike Webster: 1:33.
Roy Kennedy: It's now 2:58.
Harry Knight: So, that's 85 minutes. 42 each way. If it's bounce...
Mike Webster: And it's not.
Roy Kennedy: What's 42 light minutes away?
Mike Webster: Look, nothing. Nothing's 42 light minutes away.
Roy Kennedy: Well, there's got to be.
Mike Webster: Well, there's just not. Okay, light travel time. Jupiter's 30, Saturn's 70, minimum, there's nothing in between, trust me.
Harry Knight: Are you rolling on this?
Mike Webster: No.
Harry Knight: May I suggest you do.
Mike Webster: Yep.

Roy Kennedy: Mike, what is the Waterhole?
Mike Webster: The electromagnetic spectrum is just cluttered with garble, right? Trying to spot an intelligent signal within that is like trying to have a conversation at rock concert, you just can't do it, but at 1420 megahertz, there's a natural dead spot. It's like a quiet tunne cutting through all the noise.
Roy Kennedy: And that's the Waterhole?
Mike Webster: Right. If you want to send a signal out into space, the Waterhole's your best chance of getting it heard.


Mike Webster: There's a hell of a lot going on here that I can't explain. But I can't argue with this. You can't argue with this. If we are the only ones getting this... and we sit on it, or worse, just let it slip through the net. I'd rather be wrong and have done the right thing. And if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. So what? But if we're right about this... and what's happening here is what I think is happening here... this changes everything.
Roy Kennedy: Okay. So what's our next move?

Mike Webster: Stop! Nobody... move.

Roy Kennedy: I figure there's two types of scientists, Mike. Those that look down at Earth... trying to figure out what's going on here. And then there are those who look up to space... searching for the answers out there. But they're both really looking for the same thing. Who are we? What are we? What does all this mean?

Roy Kennedy: I'm an engineer, Mike, I... don't hunt for the science, I just put it to work. But if wasn't for people like you... people who are brave enough to push the boundaries of what we know... we'd all stand still.

Harry Knight: There's something up there...

Mike Webster: I think everything's just moved from a possibility to a probability.

Roy Kennedy: Harry! You've got to leave her. We got to go.

Dave Bennett: Mike, this is incredible. What time was your acquisition of signal?
Mike Webster: 2:54.
Dave Bennett: My God. That's the earliest recorded acquisition of signal we've had. Do you realize what this means?... You guys are the first. The first.

Dave Bennett: That's us replying. All our tracking stations are broadcasting the same thing.
Roy Kennedy: What does it say?
Dave Bennett: What else is there to say? "Welcome to Earth."

--
+ Quotes on the IMDb
+ Soundtracks

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий