30 нояб. 2020 г.

Tywysog Cymru

The Crown 3×6


Queen Elizabeth II: The government proposed, and we agree, that you should spend a term at the university there to learn the language.
Prince Charles: But...
Queen Elizabeth II: No buts.
Prince Charles: But I'm really rather happy at Cambridge, not to mention I've just been cast in a wonderful role.
Queen Elizabeth II: I know, but...
Prince Charles: I thought no buts.
Queen Elizabeth II: But sometimes duty requires one to put personal feelings...
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: And frivolity.
Queen Elizabeth II: ...aside. Good. That's settled then.

Prince Charles: I gather you're a Welsh nationalist.
Edward Millward: Hmm. I'm an educator.
Prince Charles: Do you leave your politics at the door?
Edward Millward: No. My politics are the reason why I walk through the door every day, and if I believe, and I do, that anyone deserves a university education, then it would be hypocritical of me not to extend that privilege to those at the very top, as well as the bottom.
Prince Charles: But you don't approve of... me.
Edward Millward: I've nothing against you personally.
Prince Charles: But you wish my role didn't exist, my family's.
Edward Millward: I don't think of myself as against things. I'm for things. For my country, my culture, and my language, most of all.
Prince Charles: And you think that the Crown exists in opposition to that.
Edward Millward: I think it imposes a kind of uniformity that by default, yes, suppresses Welsh identity with a ubiquitous Britishness.
Prince Charles: But Wales is Britain. Britain is Wales. Historically, we always fought together. Henry V at Agincourt...
Edward Millward: Yes. Welshmen have historically bled for the conquests of your Crown, and why, one might ask? For what?...

Queen Elizabeth II: "If this union is to endure, then we must learn to respect each other's differences. Nobody likes to be ignored, to not be seen or heard or listened to."
Prince Charles: Well, am I wrong? Isn't there a similarity between my predicament and the Welsh? Am I listened to in this family? Am I seen for who and what I am?
Queen Elizabeth II: No.
Prince Charles: Do I have a voice?
Queen Elizabeth II: Rather too much of a voice for my liking. Not having a voice is something all of us have to live with. We have all made sacrifices and suppressed who we are. Some portion of our natural selves is always lost.
Prince Charles: That is a choice.
Queen Elizabeth II: It is not a choice. It is a duty.

Queen Elizabeth II: I was a similar age to you when your great-grandmother, Queen Mary, told me that to do nothing, to say nothing, is the hardest job of all. It requires every ounce of energy that we have. To be impartial is not natural, it's not human. People will always want us to smile or agree, or frown or speak, and the minute that we do, we will have declared a position, a point of view, and that is the one thing as the royal family we are not entitled to do. Which is why we have to hide those feelings, keep them to ourselves. Because the less we do, the less we say or speak or agree or...
Prince Charles: Or think... or breathe... or feel or exist.
Queen Elizabeth II: The better.

Prince Charles: But doing that is perhaps not as easy for me as it is for you.
Queen Elizabeth II: Why?
Prince Charles: Because I... have a beating heart. A character. A mind and a will of my own. I am not just a symbol. I can lead not just by wearing a uniform, or by cutting a ribbon, but by showing people who I am. Mummy, I have a voice.
Queen Elizabeth II: Let me let you into a secret... No one wants to hear it.
Prince Charles: Are you talking about the country... or my own family?
Queen Elizabeth II: No one.

Prince Charles:
     For within the hollow crown
     rounds the mortal temples of a king
     keeps Death his court
     and there the antic sits,
     scoffing his state and grinning at his pomp...
     allowing him a breath...
     a little scene to monarchize.
     Be fear'd and kill with looks...
     infusing him with self and vain conceit...
     as if this flesh which walls about
     our life, were brass impregnable...

     and humor'd thus comes at the last
     and with a little pin...
     bores through his castle wall,
     and farewell king!

     Cover your heads...
     and mock not flesh and blood
     with solemn reverence...
     throw away respect,
     tradition,
     form and ceremonious duty...
     for you have but mistook me all this while
     I live with bread like you,
     feel want...
     taste grief...
     need friends...
     subjected thus,
     how can you say to me...
     I am a king?



+ Quotes on the IMDb
+ Soundtrack

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий