6 нояб. 2020 г.

Dear Mrs. Kennedy

The Crown 2×8


Queen Elizabeth II: When is it, do you think, if one's committed to a life of honesty, that one must start calling oneself "middle-aged"?

Queen Elizabeth II: I thought de Gaulle didn't care for Mr. Kennedy.
Harold Macmillan: Oh, he doesn't! Personally or politically.
Queen Elizabeth II: So what turned it all around?
Harold Macmillan: The First Lady, ma'am.
Queen Elizabeth II: Why? What did she do?
Harold Macmillan: Dazzled le tout Paris. Had President de Gaulle eating out of her hand.
Queen Elizabeth II: How on earth did she do that?
Harold Macmillan: By speaking French fluently.
Queen Elizabeth II: Yes, we can all do that.
Harold Macmillan: And by debating with local philosophers and intellectuals until all anti-American sentiment simply evaporated.
Queen Elizabeth II: I suppose she is pretty. And they are French.
Harold Macmillan: She's also a formidably bright woman in her own right, having studied at the Sorbonne and the prestigious École Libre des Sciences Politiques.
Queen Elizabeth II: "The most glamorous and intelligent woman on earth."
Harold Macmillan: So they say.

Queen Elizabeth II: Is it possible to think you could be marginally less excited?
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: No.

Queen Elizabeth II: Porchey, what on earth is going on?
Porchey: They've all gone mad...

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: Darling!
Queen Elizabeth II: For goodness' sake.
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: Come on, it's like royalty.
Queen Elizabeth II: Oh. Very funny....
Martin Charteris: Gosh.
Michael Adeane: President first, President first.
Jackie Kennedy: Your Majesty.
Michael Adeane: No curtsy.
Martin Charteris: No curtsy.
Queen Elizabeth II: Mrs. Kennedy.
Jackie Kennedy: Your Grace.
Michael Adeane: Your Royal Highness.
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: Mrs. Kennedy.
Jackie Kennedy: Good evening, Your Royal Majesty.
Martin Charteris: Oh, dear.
Harold Macmillan: Oh, for goodness' sake.
Queen Elizabeth II: Mr. President.
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: Mr. President.
John Kennedy: Your Grace.
Michael Adeane: Did they not get the protocol sheet?
Martin Charteris: Yes! He obviously didn't read it.
Queen Elizabeth II: Yes, well. Shall we?
John Kennedy: Uh... Jackie.
Michael Adeane: Where do you think she's going?
Martin Charteris: Lord knows.

John Kennedy: I feel like that went wrong in about 10,000 different ways.
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: I've seen worse. Though I'm not sure when.

Queen Elizabeth II: What are you doing?
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: She wants a tour of the place.
Queen Elizabeth II: Does she? Well, then I'll do it.
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: No, it's all right, she asked me.
Queen Elizabeth II: No. It's my house. So I'll do it.

Patrick: What I overheard the First Lady say... and I should mention, I was several places along the table. It's possible that I misheard.
Queen Elizabeth II: Yes.
Patrick: Was that she found Buckingham Palace second-rate, dilapidated and sad. Like a neglected provincial hotel. And that one came away with a sense of a tired institution without a place in the modern world.
Queen Elizabeth II: I see... And did she have anything to say about me?
Patrick: Oh, Lilibet. I was at the other end of the table, I... But the words I think I overheard were... that in our head of state, we had... a middle-aged woman... so incurious, unintelligent and unremarkable... that Britain's new reduced place in the world was not a surprise, but an inevitability.
Queen Elizabeth II: Well... We must have her again soon.

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: What are you doing? Elizabeth?!..
Nkrumah: I think we both understand the significance of this moment.
Queen Elizabeth II: Yes... But do we understand the terms?
Martin Charteris: They appear to be in some kind of negotiation.
Harold Macmillan: What kind of negotiation?
Martin Charteris: .... Oh, Lord!
— What's going on?
Martin Charteris: He's taken her hand.... They're... dancing.
— Our Queen is dancing, sir. With an African.
Harold Macmillan: What?! Was this agreed?
— Was this agreed?
Martin Charteris: This was definitely not agreed.
Harold Macmillan: What are they doing?!
— What are they doing?
Martin Charteris: Hard to say. I believe it's the foxtrot.
— The foxtrot, sir.

Jackie Kennedy: At a social occasion, shortly after our last visit, I... I made some comments, some foolish comments which I believe got back to you.
Queen Elizabeth II: There really is no need for this. Reports that you'd said... certain things did get back to me. And I'll confess to being momentarily surprised, since they in no way reflected what I understood to be the spirit of our meeting. But in this job, I've learned, as I'm sure you have too, not to take things too seriously. People say things for all sorts of reasons, which get misquoted or misunderstood and, before you know it, those words have turned into something quite different and everyone's upset or up in arms. I'm quite sure that you meant no harm, nor disrespect. After all, why would you? We barely know one another.

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: You did exactly the right thing. She insulted you, all of us, and you're not a saint.
Queen Elizabeth II: No.
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: We know that already. There's ice in those veins when there needs to be.
Queen Elizabeth II: Yes.
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: Well, three cheers to that.

Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother: Didn't you say how unhappy she was? In the marriage?
Queen Elizabeth II: Yes. That's the thing about unhappiness. All it takes is for something worse to come along...

Michael Adeane: Your Majesty.
Queen Elizabeth II: Michael. I'd like everyone in the royal household to observe a full week of court mourning. And I would like the bell rung at Westminster Abbey.
Michael Adeane: Ma'am, custom dictates that the bell only be rung...
Queen Elizabeth II: When a member of the royal family dies. I know. But I would like it to be rung every minute, for an hour, from eleven o'clock until midday.
Michael Adeane: Yes, ma'am.

--
+ Quotes on the IMDb
+ Soundtrack

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий