4 нояб. 2020 г.

Matrimonium

The Crown 2×7


Princess Margaret: I feel a bit hurt that he should have found happiness first.
Tony Armstrong-Jones: Ah, don't be. He hasn't found happiness. He's found marriage, the very opposite of happiness.

Princess Margaret: Ideally it would've been me writing to him saying that I was the one getting married.
Tony Armstrong-Jones: Uh-uh-uh. You said you didn't want to get married. "That's what dreary conventional people do."
Princess Margaret: You don't think you and I could do it... unconventionally? Interestingly?
Tony Armstrong-Jones: Christ. Only if we violated each and every one of the god-awful vows the Church would make us take.

Tony Armstrong-Jones: Marry me.
Princess Margaret: I thought you hated the idea of marriage.
Tony Armstrong-Jones: I do. Then I hated the idea of losing you even more.

Tony Armstrong-Jones: Promise me one thing.
Princess Margaret: Name it.
Tony Armstrong-Jones: Not to bore me.
Princess Margaret: Fine. Now promise me one thing in return.
Tony Armstrong-Jones: Name it.
Princess Margaret: Not to hurt me.
Tony Armstrong-Jones: I promise.

Tony Armstrong-Jones: Wouldn't it be fun if we did choose the abbey? One half full of your friends, one half full of mine. New world, old world. Like an eagle with two heads, facing in opposite directions.

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: I like your toes.
Queen Elizabeth II: My toes are hideous.
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: Don't be silly. They're the second-best thing about you.
Queen Elizabeth II: That's a horrible compliment.
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: There's no such thing as a bad compliment.
Queen Elizabeth II: That's true. Beggars can't be choosers... What's the best thing?

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: If any further evidence were needed to prove that we are a changed country, then this is it. It's all changed so quickly. Within a generation.
Queen Elizabeth II: Yes.
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: Just 15 minutes ago, the British government and establishment were up in arms about my joining this family.
Queen Elizabeth II: I remember.
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: I was a royal prince from a royal house. My great-great-grandmother was Queen Victoria. My father was a prince, my grandfather was a king, and everyone was mortified at how inappropriate I was and how low you were stooping.
Queen Elizabeth II: I know.
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: I mean, this fella's mother...
Queen Elizabeth II: Stop it!
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: ...is a ghastly social climber. His father's a common-or-garden contract lawyer who buggered off with an airline stewardess and everyone's throwing their hats in the air, declaring it's a victory.
Queen Elizabeth II: Not yet.
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: Pathetic.

Tommy Lascelles: I hope Your Majesty understands the context in which this discreet reconnaissance work was done and that it in no way represents a prurient, moralistic or censorious position... Mr. Armstrong-Jones is perfectly entitled in his private life to make those choices he wishes, indeed, to live as he wishes. However, as with a great many artists, the, uh, conventional approach to life doesn't appear to fit. It seems that what makes his work notable is his willingness, his appetite, to break barriers and conventions, as he pushes his medium, photography, I believe, to its boundaries, and, um, as in art, so, it would appear, in life.
Queen Elizabeth II: I see.
Tommy Lascelles: The narrow path, the straight, Christian path, is not to his taste.

Queen Elizabeth II: I'm merely asking if he's the right man for a lifelong commitment. Is he really cut out for marriage with all its ups and downs?
Princess Margaret: I will marry Tony if it is the last thing I do. At the Chelsea Registry Office, with a local drunk as witness, if need be. Because Tony makes sense of me, defines me. At long last, I know who I am and what I represent.
Queen Elizabeth II: And what is that?
Princess Margaret: A woman in my own right. A woman for the modern age. And, above all, a woman who is free. Free to live, to love, and free to break away.
Queen Elizabeth II: But you're not breaking away. Because you won't give up your title, your rank, your privileges, for one simple reason. You enjoy it all too much. The palaces, the privileges, the deference. It's always meant more to you than it did to me. Whereas all I wanted to do was... give it all up... disappear and become invisible.
Princess Margaret: Well, in that case, your achievement's all the more remarkable. As you've managed to disappear and become invisible, while wearing the crown.

+ Quotes on the IMDb
+ Soundtrack

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий