6 мар. 2010 г.

The Big Bang Theory 3x10

The Gorilla Experiment

Season 3, Episode 10


* Howard: I told my girlfriend Bernadette she could join us for dinner.
   Leonard: Sure. The more, the merrier.
   Sheldon: Wa... no, that's a false equivalency. More does not equal merry. If there were 2,000 people in this apartment right now, would we be celebrating? No, we'd be suffocating.


* Penny: I was wondering if you could maybe teach me a little physics?
   Sheldon: A little physics?! There's no such thing. Physics encompasses the entire universe, from quantum particles to supernovas, from spinning electrons to spinning galaxies.
   Penny: Yeah, okay, cool. I don't need the PBS special. I just want to know enough so I can talk to Leonard about his job.
   Sheldon: Why can't Leonard teach you?
   Penny: 'Cause I want to surprise him.
   Sheldon: Can't you surprise him in some other way? For example, I'm sure he'd be delightfully taken aback if you cleaned your apartment.



* Leonard: You're welcome to come.
   Bernadette: Really? Oh, that'd be great. How exciting is that?
   Howard: Like Hanukkah in July.
   Bernadette: Do they have that?
   Leonard: No.
   Bernadette: Oh. You got me again.


* Sheldon: Research journal, entry one. I'm about to embark on one of the
great challenges of my scientific career: teaching Penny physics. I'm
calling it Project Gorilla.

   Penny: Hey, Sheldon.
   Sheldon: Come in. Take a seat. Subject has arrived. I've extended a friendly casual greeting.
   Penny: Ready to get started?
   Sheldon: One moment. Subject appears well-rested and enthusiastic. Apparently, ignorance is bliss. All right, let us begin.


* Sheldon: And it is there, in ancient Greece, that our story begins. It's a warm summer evening, circa 600 BC. You've finished your shopping at the local market, or agora... and you look up at the night sky. ...


* Sheldon: People learn at different rates. Unlike objects falling in a vacuum, which...? "ma" equals "mg"...?
   Penny: Squared?
   Sheldon: No.
   Penny: Aristotle?
   Sheldon: No.
   Penny: Five?
   Sheldon: Oh!
   Penny, wailing: Then I don't know.
   Sheldon: Why are you crying?
   Penny: Because I'm stupid!
   Sheldon: That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid and it makes me sad.


* Penny: Okay, look, can we just please forget about all this extra stuff and can you just tell me what Leonard does?
   Sheldon: All right. Leonard is attempting to learn why sub-atomic particles move the way they do.
   Penny: Really? That's it? Well, that doesn't sound so complicated.
   Sheldon: It's not. That's why Leonard does it.
   Penny: Okay, I just have one question. What exactly are sub-atomic particles?
   Sheldon: A good question.
   Penny: Thank you.
   Sheldon: And to answer it, we first must ask ourselves: "What is physics?"
   Penny: Oh, balls.
   Sheldon: It's a warm summer evening in ancient Greece...


* Bernadette: Raj, you should've seen Leonard's experiment. The interference pattern was so cool when the electron beam was on.
   Leonard: Glad you enjoyed it. Most people aren't that interested in what I do.
   Penny: Actually, that's not true, Leonard. In fact, recently I've been thinking that given the parameters of your experiment, the transport of electrons through the aperture of the nano-fabricated metal rings is qualitatively no different than the experiment already conducted in the Netherlands. Their observed phase shift in the diffusing electrons inside the metal ring already conclusively demonstrated the electric analogue of the Aharonov-Bohm quantum-interference effect. That's it. That's all I know. Oh, wait!.. Fig Newtons were named after a town in Massachusetts, not the scientist.


--- Словарик:
merry — весёлый, радостный, оживлённый
embark — начинать дело; браться за что-л.; предпринимать что-л.


+ Еще quotes на Imdb.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий