21 авг. 2016 г.

To Catch a Thief

& Danielle: I’ve always dreamed of going to South America. People say it’s a virgin country. I can cook, sew, keep my mouth shut and peddle stolen jewels on the black market...

& John Robie: Insurance. That’s gambling, isn’t it?
    H.H. Hughson: Well, shall we say betting?

& John Robie: Well, then let’s come to an understanding. I’m doing you a favor. I take all the risks, you get all the jewelry back.
    H.H. Hughson: Mr. Smith, it strikes me that only an honest man would be so foolish.

& H.H. Hughson: You’re a man of obvious good taste in... Well, in everything. How did you... I mean, why did you...
    John Robie: You mean, why did I take up stealing?
    H.H. Hughson: Yes.
    John Robie: Oh, to live better, to own things I couldn’t afford. To acquire this good taste which you now enjoy, and which I should be very reluctant to give up.
    H.H. Hughson: Oh, you mean you were frankly dishonest?
    John Robie: I tried to be.

& John Robie: Hughson, in this business, you can’t do things the honest way.


& Danielle: But what has she got more than me, except money?!

& John Robie: Why don’t you own a place like this?
    Frances: Palaces are for royalty. We’re just common people with a bank account.

& Frances: Now, here comes some of the clever part. You’re just not convincing, John. You’re like an American character in an English movie. You just don’t talk the way an American tourist ought to talk.
    John Robie: Don’t you know that all the guidebooks say, «Don’t behave like a tourist»?
    Frances: Well, it’s just that you never mention business or baseball or television or wage freezes or Senate probes.
    John Robie: All the things I left America to forget.
    Frances: You’re just not American enough to carry it off.

& Frances: Some nights, a person doesn’t need to drink...

& John Robie: I thought you might like to see a real, live burglar in action...
    Frances: Will it be dangerous?
    John Robie: Not for tourists.

& Frances: So this is where you live. Oh, Mother will love it up here...

--
+++ quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий