31 дек. 2022 г.

Decommissioned

The Crown 5×10


Queen Elizabeth II: Speaking of wholesale change, what are we going to do about Hong Kong?
Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother: The Great Chinese Takeaway?
Prince Edward: Granny.
Princess Margaret: She didn't just say that.
Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother: Why? Hong Kong's ours. The Chinese are taking it away.
Prince Charles: Taking it back.

Prince Charles: Hong Kong is clearly the more significant occasion. Shouldn't you be there? As sovereign?
Prince Philip: A monarch should never attend celebrations when a colony cuts ties. It's undignified. Like attending the wedding of someone you loved and trying to look happy for them.
Prince Charles: Been there, done that.

John Major: It is strange, the... the human capacity for self-deception. Despite all the polls, I still felt I had a chance of winning. Instead, my party has just suffered its worst defeat in memory. I do hope the history books will judge my premiership rather more kindly than the electorate has. Queen Elizabeth II: Whatever the historians make of it, you will always rank highly in my personal table of prime ministers. Very highly. I shall miss your calm, forthright, dependable presence.

Queen Elizabeth II: What do you make of him? Mr. Blair?
John Major: Oh, I shouldn't have done that... Well, the oft-touted criticism is that his leadership style is a triumph of image over substance. Much attention is also paid to his age.
Queen Elizabeth II: Mmm. Forty-three, I checked. The youngest prime minister since Lord Liverpool in 1812.

John Major: It's a funny old business. One day, you're prime minister, arguably the most... Well, the second-most important person in the country, and the next, you lose your job, your car, and you're evicted from your home. All before lunch.

Queen Elizabeth II: They're suggesting the yacht would no longer be Britannia. She would have a new name.
Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother: Go on.
Tony Blair: New Britain.
Prince Charles: I rather like it.
Princess Margaret: Wait, wasn't that Blair's political slogan?

Queen Elizabeth II: I said if those were the terms of the royal yacht's existence, I would sooner it be decommissioned. So that's the decision. Charles' trip to Hong Kong will be her last official trip. After 43 years of service and more than a million nautical miles around the globe... the royal yacht is to be retired.

Tony Blair: Your Royal Highness.
Prince Charles: Look at you... The first prime minister young enough to be the Queen's son... Winston Churchill, who sat in that armchair a great many times, was old enough to be her grandfather. Anthony Eden, Harold Macmillan, her father. Wilson and Heath, her husbands. Mrs. Thatcher, her twin sister. And you, her son. Which I suppose, by extension, would make us...
Tony Blair: Brothers.
Prince Charles: Yes. Two men of the same age and generation. And, hopefully, of a similar mindset.

Tony Blair: It would be like being trapped for eternity in opposition. I mean, we had 18 years. That was bad enough. He's already had 50. It can't be easy knowing your own mother has the final say on who you can or can't marry. Imagine if your mum had a veto over me...

Prince Charles: My affair, Mummy? I'm an unmarried man.
Queen Elizabeth II: Divorced man whose wife is still alive.
Prince Charles: Are we really having this conversation? Camilla and I are mature, willing adults.
Queen Elizabeth II: No doubting the "willing."
Prince Charles: Who make one another happy.
Queen Elizabeth II: No doubting that either. But isn't it time you asked yourself, what good can ultimately come of it when the public is so against it?
Prince Charles: This is madness.
Queen Elizabeth II: I tend to agree.

Queen Elizabeth II: I don't want to get drawn on Mr. Blair or whether he understands the people better than me or not.
Prince Charles: I'd say he does.
Queen Elizabeth II: But I do want to make clear that the only person in this family to have a direct relationship with the first minister is the sovereign.
Prince Charles: Which will one day be me.
Queen Elizabeth II: One day. But not yet.
Prince Charles: When?
Queen Elizabeth II: You should know the answer better than anyone because, God willing, you will one day take the oath yourself. This job is for life.

Prince Charles: In Hong Kong, I saw how easy it is to dispose of us. Buildings renamed. Your head removed from the stamps. 150 years of living under the Crown, they couldn't have been shot of us more quickly. That's what happens when... we fail to move with the times. You can't be blamed for living a long life--
Queen Elizabeth II: Thank you.
Prince Charles: But you have to accept that your... your values were shaped by Queen Mary.
Queen Elizabeth II: Yes. Proud of it.
Prince Charles: Hers by Queen Victoria.
Queen Elizabeth II: Proud of that too.
Prince Charles: I'm just worried, Mummy, that... if we continue to hold onto these Victorian notions of how the monarchy should look, how it should feel, then the world will move on. And those who come after you will be... will be left with nothing.


On the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий