20 дек. 2022 г.

Ipatiev House

The Crown 5×6


Queen Elizabeth II: I am curious to hear your impressions of Mr. Yeltsin.
John Major: When the coup was launched, he could easily have compromised with the plotters, tried to make a deal with them, but he never wavered, and the people love him for it. That said, I'm not certain I've seen him sober yet.
Queen Elizabeth II: I thought you had spent several days in his company.
John Major: I did.
Queen Elizabeth II: He can't have been drunk all that time.
John Major: I think he might have been. Not least because I think I may have been.

John Major: Once you get used to the table slamming and the profanity... he's straightforward and likable. And it turns out... Mr. Yeltsin is something of an Anglophile.
Queen Elizabeth II: Really?

Boris Yeltsin: Your Majesty. Like to know a secret about the Russian people?
Queen Elizabeth II: Oh, please.
Boris Yeltsin: In our heart of hearts, we are all still monarchists. Even at the height of Stalin's purges, when a Soviet citizen tells a story... we start by saying not "once upon a time...", but "in the good tsarist times..."
Queen Elizabeth II: To the good tsarist times!
Boris Yeltsin: To your health, Comrade!

Boris Yeltsin: We all know the truth. It was in this house that the Romanovs' deaths were sealed. Not the Kremlin. She should be careful. Or she will end up with a bayonet up her arse too.
Queen Elizabeth II: What did he say?
Boris Yeltsin's Interpreter: How thrilled he is to be here.
Queen Elizabeth II: Ah. He's very kind.
Boris Yeltsin: And call this a palace? We have shithouses in St. Petersburg that are bigger.

Queen Elizabeth II: I'm told the best way to identify and authenticate the remains is through DNA. And it turns out, the best, the only place in the world for bone DNA sequencing is here. In England.

Queen Elizabeth II: Apparently, because of the age of the bones, they can only use a particular kind of DNA that passes through the maternal line.
Prince Philip: Mitochondrial.
Queen Elizabeth II: Oh, you knew that?
Prince Philip: Yes.
Queen Elizabeth II: How?
Prince Philip: I read.
Queen Elizabeth II: Mmm.

Prince Philip: Oh, give it time. The great Russian bear is taking its first steps after years in captivity and suffering. Bound to be dysfunction.

Prince Philip: I've been busy.
Queen Elizabeth II: Clearly.
Prince Philip: Exploring, among other things, the grotesque injustices visited upon my relatives by your relatives.
Queen Elizabeth II: Let's not get proprietorial about relatives.
Prince Philip: And reminding myself not only how much I gained but how much I gave up when I married you.
Queen Elizabeth II: Such as?
Prince Philip: My career. My autonomy. My faith. You might recall I was born...
Queen Elizabeth II: Honestly, a convention of genealogists couldn't work out what you were born.
Prince Philip: I was born Orthodox. Just one of our many differences.
Queen Elizabeth II: How else are we different?
Prince Philip: After 47 years of marriage, we might ask ourselves, how are we still alike? We've got different interests. Different passions. Different churches. I'm more energetic.
Queen Elizabeth II: More restless.
Prince Philip: More curious. Your desire for calm, for stability, for silence, not to question, not to probe, not to...
Queen Elizabeth II: Provoke.
Prince Philip: ...interrogate, has sometimes left me...
Queen Elizabeth II: What?
Prince Philip: Lonely.

John Major: I believe Yeltsin is sincere in his desire for democracy. One just wishes he led with greater...
Queen Elizabeth II: Sobriety?
John Major: Authority. Reports out of Russia suggest the landscape is dangerously unstable. And the worry is it will result in the need for hard-line leadership again, and we will be back to square one.
Queen Elizabeth II: Hmm. Except... I prefer to think of square one with Russia as a state of friendship, not enmity. One forgets our two nations, thanks in part to family ties, have been more successful as allies than enemies. Seen like that, the revolution and Cold War are a blip in an otherwise long and happy marriage.

Queen Elizabeth II: Forty-seven years. And counting. You and Mrs. Major?
John Major: Uh... Uh... Twenty-four years this year.
Queen Elizabeth II: We must all be doing something right... What do you suppose that is?
John Major: Mmm... One of the most memorable accounts of a long, successful marriage comes from Dostoevsky's wife, Anna. She and Fyodor were, she said, of... contrasting character. Different temperaments. Entirely opposing views, yet they never tried to change one another. Nor interfere with the other's soul. This, she believed, enabled her and her husband to live in harmony.
Queen Elizabeth II: By having nothing whatsoever in common?
John Major: Hmm. The key to a happy marriage, it seems.


On the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий