7 авг. 2020 г.

Little Women (2019)

Mr. Dashwood: The country just went through a war. People want to be amused, not preached at. Morals don't sell nowadays.

Jo March: Should I tell my... uh, my friend you'll take another if she had one better than this?
Mr. Dashwood: We'll look at it. Tell her to make it short and spicy. And if the main character's a girl, make sure she's married by the end. Or dead. Either way.
Jo March: Excuse me?

Aunt March: Is there a reason you stopped reading Belsham?
Jo March: I'm sorry. I'll continue.
Aunt March: You mind yourself, deary. Someday you'll need me and you'll wish you had behaved better.
Jo March: Thank you, Aunt March, for your employment and your many kindnesses, but I intend to make my own way in the world.
Aunt March: Oh, well. No. No one makes their own way. Not really. Least of all, a woman. You'll need to marry well.
Jo March: But you are not married.
Aunt March: That's because I'm rich. And I made sure to keep hold of my money.

Jo March: So the only way to be an unmarried woman is to be rich?
Aunt March: Yes. There are precious few ways for women to make money.
Jo March: That's not true.
Aunt March: You could run a cathouse. Or go on the stage. Practically the same thing. Other than that, you're right. Precious few ways for women. That's why you should heed me.

Friedrich: You know, I... I don't like them. Honestly, uh... I mean, I... I think that they're not good.
Jo March: Uh, but... They're... They're published in the papers, and people have always said that I'm talented.
Friedrich: Oh, I think you're talented. Which is why I'm being so... So blunt.
Jo March: Well, I can't afford to starve on praise.

Jo March: When I get in a passion, I get so savage. I could hurt anyone, and I'd enjoy it.
Marmee March: You remind me of myself...
Jo March: But you're never angry.
Marmee March: I'm angry nearly every day of my life.
Jo March: You are?
Marmee March: I am not patient by nature. But with nearly 40 years of effort, I'm learning to not let it get the better of me.

Marmee March: There are some natures too noble to curb and too lofty to bend.


Amy March: I'm a failure.
Laurie: That's quite a statement to make at 20.
Amy March: Rome took all the vanity out of me, and Paris made me realize I'd never be a genius, so I'm giving up all my foolish artistic hopes.
Laurie: Why give up? You have so much talent and energy.
Amy March: Talent isn't genius. And no amount of energy can make it so. I want to be great or nothing.

Amy March: I've always known I would marry rich. Why should I be ashamed?
Laurie: Nothing to be ashamed of, as long as you love him...
Amy March: It isn't something that just happens to a person.
Laurie: I think the poets might disagree.
Amy March: Well, I'm not a poet. I'm just a woman. And as a woman, there's no way for me to make my own money. Not enough to earn a living or to support my family. If I had my own money, which I don't, that money would belong to my husband the moment we got married. If we had children, they would be his, not mine. They would be his property. So don't sit there and tell me that marriage isn't an economic proposition, because it is. It may not be for you, but it most certainly is for me.

Beth March: Do what Marmee taught us to do. Do it for someone else.

Aunt March: I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong.

Amy March: You're not angry at me?
Life is too short to be angry at one's sisters.

Jo March: I care more to be loved. I want to be loved.
Marmee March: That is not the same as loving.
Jo March: I know. You know, I just... I just feel... I just feel like... women, they... They have minds and they have souls, as well as just hearts. And they've got ambition and they've got talent, as well as just beauty. And I'm so sick of people saying that love is just all a woman is fit for. I'm so sick of it. But I'm... I'm so lonely.

Jo March: Well, it's just about our little life.
Amy March: So?
Jo March: Well, who will be interested in a story of domestic struggles and joys? It doesn't have any real importance.
Amy March: Maybe it doesn't seem important because people don't write about them.
Jo March: No, writing doesn't confer importance. It reflects it.
Amy March: I don't think so. Writing them will make them more important.

Mr. Dashwood: No! No, no, that won't work at all.
Jo March: She says the whole book she doesn't want to marry.
Mr. Dashwood: Who cares? Girls want to see women married, not consistent.
Jo March: No, it isn't the right ending.
Mr. Dashwood: The right ending is the one that sells. Trust me. If you decide to end your delightful book with your heroine a spinster, no one will buy it. It won't be worth printing.
Jo March: I suppose marriage has always been an economic proposition, even in fiction.
Mr. Dashwood: It's romance.
Jo March: Heh, heh, it's mercenary.

--
++ Quotes on the IMDb
+ Soundtracks

Σ pita4og: «очередная экранизация монументального американского романа за авторством Греты Гервик. У многих возникает вопрос, с чего вдруг откровенно женская костюмная экранизация маячит везде как фаворит. ...»

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий