29 авг. 2023 г.

Danny Boy (2021)

Gavin Wood: Let's see what you're made of... It begins with R, Brian!
Brian Wood: Resilience.

Brian Wood: I'm here today to tell you all about the realities of war. And maybe one of the realities of war is it's not so easy to stand up and talk about it. And you're gonna have guys out there who are making a big song and dance about what they did getting their names in the paper. Good luck to them. I'll let you make your own judgment about that. I've got nothing to say about that.

Brian Wood: You know what I was focusing on? Eh? Anyone? I wasn't thinking about being brave being a hero, or winning medals. I was focusing on destroying the enemy and keeping myself and my men alive. I was fighting my own fight.

Phil Shiner: Thanks for coming up to the office to see me. It'll give you a chance to see the job the way it really is... Of course, I'm too bloody busy to get up to the university at the moment.
     Some of you will end up in big fuck-off law practices in the City with smoked glass and neck massages but the vast majority of lawyers work like this. You'll need to get your brains around that. ...
     My advice is go running do yoga, start flower-arranging. Anything to give you a sense of perspective. This job will eat you up and spit you out if you're not careful.

Phil Shiner: Er, right. So, you want to be human rights lawyers. What's the first quality you're going to need? Hm?. .... A thick skin. You're going to need a thick skin. ... Because some of the things we might be doing-- Because people will tear you up. Politicians, the press, the establishment. It doesn't matter how clear it is to you that human rights are sacrosanct and you have a duty to protect them whoever's they might be. Other people will tell you different. They'll tell you you're a bleeding heart they'll tell you you're naive they'll tell you you're money-grubbing. Why do they say those things? Hm? .... Because now and then you're going to have to tell them things they really don't want to hear. And here's one of them. British soldiers get away with murder.

Gavin Wood: Hey. For 300 years this family served this country. Twelve generations. Those guys... they're right here with us.

Brian Wood: Y'know, I'm only here cos of what two guys did out there.
Gavin Wood: What, your mates had your back?
Brian Wood: It was Iraqis. Could've killed me, but didn't. What sort of soldier's that? What sort of soldier won't even fire his weapon?
Gavin Wood: Brian--
Brian Wood: What sort of soldier wears flipflops and a dishdash?
Gavin Wood: Brian. You might only be here because of those two guys, but you are here.
Brian Wood: No.
Gavin Wood: No?
Brian Wood: I'm here because they didn't do what I did.

Brian Wood: You said you'd have killed if you had to. Well, that's when you decide who's who. That moment decides for you.

Brian Wood: Killing someone's one thing. Picking them up after, looking them in the eye...
Falconer: Tell you what I don't see. I don't see any village elders who sent these kids out here with rifles against a company full of tanks and Warriors.

Phil Shiner: Anything else?
Deena Aayari: As I'm reading, I'm trying to put myself in the position of the Army soldiers.
Phil Shiner: Useful exercise.
Deena Aayari: If you're fired up and you've been shot at and you're charging across a field and someone puts their hands up... where does the war bit stop and the arrest and restraint bit start? ... What happens after the war bit stops? It's grey... It's a grey area.

Deena Aayari: The arrangements we used to gather our witnesses the fact that we've operated through a middleman some of the financial arrangements...
Phil Shiner: What?
Deena Aayari: Well... is all of that definitely OK?
Phil Shiner: We literally had no choice. Either we let the killings of 20 potentially innocent Iraqis go unchallenged, or we do what we did. What choice did we have? If we win, it'll all be forgotten. If we lose, it'll all be irrelevant.

Gavin Wood: You see, when you join the Army you're part of something massive. You know, "We're all in this together." But see, when it comes to the knocks you take, we're... we're all a closed book.
Brian Wood: OK.
Gavin Wood: I'm not a good example, Brian. And that hurts me. It hurts me to see you following that example.

Gavin Wood: I said to your mother, I said I couldnae even contemplate... Aye, sure, I served 23 years but I cannae even contemplate what my son went through. I'm in awe of that. I have no experience of that. And that hurts, as a father. I sent you places I've never been.
Brian Wood: You were there, Dad. You were there.


On the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий