29 июн. 2020 г.

The Long, Hot Summer (1958)

Eula Varner: Our little town's the most nowhere place in the state of Mississippi. You can believe me when I tell you it laces you in tight as a corset. And as far as social amusements are concerned, there are none.
Ben Quick: Well, that's all right. I'm a quiet-livin' man myself.
Eula Varner: I only know one reason for living quiet. That's if you're too old to live any other way.

Ben Quick: How does a man make a living around here?
Ratliff: Honest or dishonest?
Ben Quick: Let me hear what's open.

Jody Varner: A fellow name of Quick.
Will Varner: Quick? Ben Quick?
Jody Varner: Yeah, yeah, from out west.
Will Varner: You knucklehead fool! You empty-headed yokel!
Jody Varner: What are you calling me names for?
Will Varner: "Quick!" Don't you keep abreast of anything except Eula? Don't you know what Quick means in this county? Hellfire! Ashes and char! Flame follows that man around like a dog! He's a barn burner.
Jody Varner: I never do anything right. Do I?
Will Varner: Not to my immediate recollection!

Clara Varner: I'll tell you, Mr. Quick. The last time I parted with my money to a pitchman, I was 12 years old.
Ben Quick: And nobody's ever taken you since.
Clara Varner: Nope. Nobody ever will.
Ben Quick: Well, life's very long and full of salesmanship, Miss Clara. You might buy somethin' yet...

Will Varner: Boy, you got something belongs to me.
Ben Quick: You ain't no better than a crook.
Will Varner: Well, you ain't nothin' better than a con man. You sell my crooked merchandise.
Ben Quick: Never mind the name-calling. Now, where's my share?

Will Varner: What do you do out here, you and Alan, huh?
Clara Varner: We talk.
Will Varner: What gets said? Anything important?
Clara Varner: He thinks I'm a nice, quiet, self-contained girl.
Will Varner: Well, that ain't damn near enough! Thousands of acres out there, millions of seeds put down in the ground. Every year the seeds come up again. Life goes on. Where's "my" crop, huh? What follows me? What happens when I'm dead?
Clara Varner: You'll probably have the biggest funeral in the state of Mississippi.
Will Varner: That don't scare me, so long as there's plenty of Varners to mourn me.
Clara Varner: Jody and I will be there.
Will Varner: You and Jody, and Jody's kids, and yours, and their kids! My descendants, sister. A line. A long line with my face stamped on 'em, my blood flowing in their veins.

Ben Quick: We got all kinds of nostrums and remedies. 'Course, I don't have headaches myself. 'Cause I don't have any problems.
Clara Varner: Or scruples.
Ben Quick: Nope, not those either.
Clara Varner: Well, I have both.
Ben Quick: You got a thin skin is what you got. But the world belongs to the meat eaters, Miss Clara... and if you have to take it raw, take it raw.

Clara Varner: All right. You proved it. I'm human.
Ben Quick: Yes, ma'am, you're human all right.
Clara Varner: Barn burner!


Ben Quick: Well, I'll be damned.
Will Varner: More than probable you will be... but first you're goin' to church and get married, ya hear?

Will Varner: Who says I picked the wrong man? You and me got a deal, Ben Quick.
Ben Quick: And who says marriages are made in heaven?
Will Varner: All of hell wouldn't have this one!

Ben Quick: Well, just so we don't crowd each other... I shave nights and shower mornings.

Clara Varner: You are barkin' up the wrong girl, Mr. Quick... because it will never be you.
Ben Quick: Never say never.

Ben Quick: It's gonna be you and me.
Clara Varner: Not the longest day I live.
Ben Quick: Yes, sir. They're gonna say, "There goes that poor old Clara Varner... whose father married her off to a dirt-scratchin', shiftless... no-good farmer who just happened by." Well, let 'em talk. I'll tell you one thing. You gonna wake up in the mornin' smilin'.
Clara Varner: That's not enough. Do you understand me? That is not nearly enough. Mr. Quick, I am a human being. Do you know what that means? It means I set a price on myself, a high, high price. You may be surprised to know it... but I've got quite a lot to give. I've got things I have been savin' up my whole life... things like love and understanding and... and jokes and good times and good cooking. I'm prepared to be the queen of Sheba for some lucky man... or at the very least, the best wife that any man could hope for. Now, that's my human history... and it's not gonna be bought and sold... and it's certainly not gonna be given away to any passin' stranger.
Ben Quick: All right. Then run, lady. And you keep on runnin'! Buy yourself a bus ticket and disappear. Change your name, dye your hair, get lost! And then maybe... just maybe... you're gonna be safe from me.

Will Varner: Parents and children. I asked myself, "What are children for? Why do we have 'em?" Well, tonight I know. Now I know.
Clara Varner: Do ya?
Will Varner: Oh, I know I been hard on ya... but... don't feel you been pushed. You're goin' in the right direction. Woman's only half a thing without a man.
Clara Varner: What do you know about women, Papa?
Will Varner: I had the best. Your mother and I were just... about as close as... two people ever get together. I wanted to be with that woman all the time... look at her, listen to her... touch her. She lit up the whole world for me. I'll tell you somethin' remarkable. That woman loved me. She did, Clara. You find that hard to believe about me? A ugly, fat old redneck like me? Now, tell me, baby. Have I done wrong with you? I mean... imposin' my will on you... shovin' you this way and the other? Sometimes the strong just roll over the weak.
Clara Varner: Sometimes, Papa.

Will Varner: You got yourself a blue suit? Get it cleaned! You got some black shoes? Have 'em polished! Get yourself a haircut! You're gonna be married!

Will Varner: You'll find him at the store, sister! Get yourself down there. Now. Just say one word: Yes.

Ben Quick: You're a hardheaded, softhearted woman, Miss Clara... and I like you a lot.

Ben Quick: Well... you couldn't "tame" me, but you "taught" me.

Will Varner: Thank you. Man's got friends like you, he ain't got no trouble!

Ben Quick: I've been a little long comin' around to it, but... Well, life's a pretty valuable thing... and it ought to be treated with a certain amount of respect. You're old enough to know that, and I'm young enough to learn it.

Will Varner: Oh, Minnie, it sure is good to be alive this summer evenin'. Yeah, alive with friends and family... and a big healthy woman to love ya. Oh, I "like" life, Minnie. Yeah. I like it so much... I might just live forever.

--
++ Quotes on the IMDb
+ Soundtracks

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий