23 июн. 2020 г.

A Few Good Men (1992)


Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway: I'm requesting- Captain, I'd like to request that it be me who's the attorney- That it be myself who’s assigned. No, I'd like to request that it be I who am assigned- "That it be I who am assigned"? That's good. That's confidence-inspiring. Good grammar there.

Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway: ... In short, Captain, I'd like to suggest that... I be the one who that- that it be me who is assigned to represent them... myself.

Capt. West: Commander Galloway, why don’t you get yourself a cup of coffee?
Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway: Thank you, sir. I'm fine.
Capt. West: Captain West: I'd like you to leave the room so we can talk about you behind your back.

Lt. Dave Spradling: B misdemeanor, 20 days in the brig.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: C misdemeanor, 15 days restricted duty.
Lt. Dave Spradling: I don't know why I'm agreeing to this.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: 'Cause you have wisdom beyond your years.

Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Twelve years.
Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway: Sorry?
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: I'll get them to drop the conspiracy and conduct unbecoming. Twelve years.
Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway: You haven't talked to a witness or looked at a piece of paper.
Lt. Sam Weinberg: Pretty impressive, huh?
Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway: You're gonna have to go deeper than that.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Do you have some sort of jurisdiction here that I should know about?
Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway: My job is to make sure that you do your job. I'm special counsel for Internal Affairs... so my jurisdiction’s pretty much in your face... Read the letters. I'll expect your report when you return from Cuba.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Sure-
Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway: You're dismissed.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: I always forget that part.

Col. Nathan R. Jessep: We're in the business of saving lives, Lieutenant Colonel Markinson.

Lt. Daniel Kaffee: This your signature?
Lance Cpl. Harold W. Dawson: Yes, sir.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: You don't have to call me "sir. " Is this your signature?
Pfc. Louden Downey: Sir, yes, sir.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: You certainly don't need to do it twice in one sentence.

Lt. Daniel Kaffee: What's basic Code Red?
Lance Cpl. Harold W. Dawson: Sir, a Marine refuses to bathe on a regular basis... the men in his squad will give him a G.I. shower.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: What's that?
Lance Cpl. Harold W. Dawson: Scrub brushes, Brillo pads, steel wool.
Lt. Sam Weinberg: Beautiful.

Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Did you assault Santiago with the intent of killing him?
Lance Cpl. Harold W. Dawson: No, sir.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: What was your intent?
Lance Cpl. Harold W. Dawson: To train him, sir.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Train him to do what?
Lance Cpl. Harold W. Dawson: Train him to think of his unit before himself- to respect the code.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: What's the code?
Lance Cpl. Harold W. Dawson: Unit, Corps, God, Country.
Lt. Sam Weinberg: I beg your pardon?
Lance Cpl. Harold W. Dawson: Unit, Corps, God, Country, sir.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: ..... The government of the United States... wants to charge you two with murder... and you want me to go to the prosecutor... with "Unit, Corps, God, Country"?
Lance Cpl. Harold W. Dawson: That's our code, sir.
— It's your code!

Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway: I'm going to Cuba with you tomorrow.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: And the hits just keep on coming...

Lt. Daniel Kaffee: How's it going, Luther?
Luther: Another day, another dollar, captain.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: You gotta play them as they lay.
Luther: What goes around comes around.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Can't beat 'em, join 'em.
Luther: At least I got my health.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Well, then you got everything. See you tomorrow, Luther.
Luther: Not if I see you first.

Corporal Barnes: We'll just hop on the ferry. We'll be there in no time.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Wait. We gotta take a boat?
Corporal Barnes: Yes, sir. To get to the other side of the bay.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Nobody said anything about a boat.
Corporal Barnes: Is there a problem, sir?
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: No, no problem. Just not crazy about boats.
Corporal Barnes: Jesus Christ, Kaffee, you're in the Navy, for crying out loud.
Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway: Nobody likes her very much.
Corporal Barnes: Yes, sir!


Col. Nathan R. Jessep: You know, it just hit me. She outranks you, Danny.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Yes, sir.
Col. Nathan R. Jessep: I wanna tell you something. And listen up, 'cause I really mean this. You're the luckiest man in the world. There is nothing on this earth sexier- believe me, gentlemen- than a woman that you have to salute in the morning. Promote 'em all, I say, 'cause this is true: If you haven't gotten a blowjob from a superior officer... well, you’re just letting the best in life pass you by.

Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Colonel, I'll just need a copy of Santiago’s transfer order.
Col. Nathan R. Jessep: What's that?
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Santiago's transfer order. You guys have paperwork on that kind of thing. I just need it for the file.
Col. Nathan R. Jessep: For the file...
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Yeah.
Col. Nathan R. Jessep: Of course you can have a copy of the transfer order for the file. I'm here to help in anyway I can.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Thank you.
Col. Nathan R. Jessep: You believe that, don’t you, Danny, that I'm here to help you in anyway I can?
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Of course.
Col. Nathan R. Jessep: Corporal will take you by personnel on your way out to the flight line... and you can have all the transfer orders that you want.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Let's go.
Col. Nathan R. Jessep: But you have to ask me nicely.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: I beg your pardon?
Col. Nathan R. Jessep: You have to ask me nicely. You see, Danny, I can deal with the bullets and the bombs and the blood. I don't want money, and I don't want medals. What I do want is for you to stand there in that faggoty white uniform... and with your Harvard mouth extend me some fucking courtesy. You gotta ask me nicely.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: .... Colonel Jessep, if it’s not too much trouble... I'd like a copy of the transfer order, sir.

Lance Cpl. Harold W. Dawson: We have a code, sir.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Oh, well, zip-a-dee-doo-dah! You and your code plead not guilty. You'll be in jail the rest of your life. Do what I'm telling you, you'll be home in six months. Do it, Harold. Six months. It's nothing. It's a hockey season.
Lance Cpl. Harold W. Dawson: Permission to-
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Speak! Jesus!
Lance Cpl. Harold W. Dawson: What do we do then, sir?
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: When?
Lance Cpl. Harold W. Dawson: After six months, we'll be dishonorably discharged, right, sir?
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Probably.
Lance Cpl. Harold W. Dawson: Well, what do we do then, sir? We joined the Marines because we wanted to live our lives by a certain code. And we found it in the Corps. Now you’re asking us to sign a piece of paper that says we have no honor. You're asking us to say we’re not Marines. If a court decides that what we did was wrong... then I'll accept whatever punishment they give. But I believe I was right, sir. I believe I did my job... and I will not dishonor myself, my unit or the Corps... so that I can go home in six months... sir.

Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Why does a lieutenant junior grade with ninth months' experience... and a track record for plea bargaining get assigned a murder case? Would it be so that it never sees the inside of a courtroom?

Lt. Daniel Kaffee: So this is what a courtroom looks like...

Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Was there any sign of violence?
Lt. Sam Weinberg: You mean, other than the dead body?
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Shit, I walk into that every goddamn time.

Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway: Danny, I-
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: You don't have to say it. We've had our differences. I said some things I didn't mean. You said some things you didn't mean, but you’re happy I stuck with the case. And if you’ve gained a certain respect for me over the last three weeks... of course, I'm happy about that. But we don't have to make a whole big deal out of it. If you like me, I won't make you say it.
Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway: I was just gonna tell you to wear matching socks tomorrow.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Okay. Good tip.

Capt. Jack Ross: The story I’ve just told you... is the exact same story you’re gonna hear from Lance Corporal Dawson... and it's the exact same story you're gonna hear from Private Downey. Furthermore, the government will also demonstrate... that the accused soaked the rag in poison... and entered Santiago's room with motive and intent to kill. Now, Lieutenant Kaffee... is gonna try and pull off a little magic act here. He's gonna try a little misdirection. He's gonna astonish you with stories of rituals... and dazzle you with official-sounding terms... like "Code Red." He might even try to cut into a few officers for you. He'll have no evidence, mind you, none, but it's gonna be entertaining. And when we get to the end, all the magic in the world... will not have been able to divert your attention from the fact... that Willie Santiago is dead and Dawson and Downey killed him. These are the facts of the case, and they are undisputed.

Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway: Why do you hate them so much?
Lt. Sam Weinberg: They beat up on a weakling. That's all they did. The rest of this is just smoke-filled coffeehouse crap. They tortured and tormented a weaker kid! They didn't like him, so they killed him. And why? Because he couldn't run very fast! .... Why do you like them so much?
Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway: 'Cause they stand on a wall... and they say, "Nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch."

Lt. Daniel Kaffee: We've been working 20 hours a day for three and half weeks straight. Just take the night off. Go see your wife, your daughter. Jo, go do... whatever it is you do when you're not here.

Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway: I was wondering if- How you’d feel about my taking you to dinner tonight?
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Are you asking me out on a date?
Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway: No.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Sounded like you were asking me on a date. I've been asked out on dates before, and that's what it sounded like.
Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway: Do you like seafood? I know a good seafood place.

Luther: Admiral, how's the big case going?
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Nose to the grindstone.
Luther: No flies on you.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: A rolling stone gathers no moss.
Luther: Well, it ain't over till the fat lady sings.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: You can say that again.
Luther: It ain't over till the fat lady sings.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Till the fat lady sings... Walked into that one.

Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Anyway, since we seem to be out of witnesses, I thought I'd drink a little.
Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway: I still think we can win.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Maybe you should drink a little.

Col. Nathan R. Jessep: We follow orders, son. We follow orders, or people die. It's that simple. Are we clear?
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Yes, sir.
Col. Nathan R. Jessep: Are we clear?
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Crystal.

Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Colonel Jessup, did you order the Code Red?
Capt. Jack Ross: You don't have to answer that.
Col. Nathan R. Jessep: I'll answer the question. You want answers?
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: I think I'm entitled!
Col. Nathan R. Jessep: You want answers?
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: I want the truth!
Col. Nathan R. Jessep: You can't handle the truth!

Col. Nathan R. Jessep: Son, we live in a world that has walls... and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know- that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives! You don't want the truth because deep down you don't talk about... you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall! We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself... to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the freedom I provide... and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Did you order the Code Red?
Col. Nathan R. Jessep: I did the job-
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Did you order the Code Red?
Col. Nathan R. Jessep: You're goddamned right I did!

Col. Nathan R. Jessep: Captain Ross. What the hell is this?
Capt. Jack Ross: Colonel Jessup, you have the right to remain silent...

Col. Nathan R. Jessep: Captain Ross. What the hell is this?
Capt. Jack Ross: Colonel Jessup, you have the right to remain silent...
Col. Nathan R. Jessep: I'm being charged with a crime? Is that what this is? I'm being charged with a crime?!
Capt. Jack Ross: You have a right to consult a lawyer.
Col. Nathan R. Jessep: This is funny. That's what this is.
Capt. Jack Ross: This lawyer may be appointed by you.
Col. Nathan R. Jessep: I'm gonna rip the eyes out of your head and piss in your dead skull! You fucked with the wrong Marine!
Capt. Jack Ross: Colonel Jessup, do you understand these rights as I have just read them?
Col. Nathan R. Jessep: You fucking people... You have no idea how to defend a nation. All you did was weaken a country today, Kaffee. That's all you did. You put people's lives in danger.

Col. Nathan R. Jessep: Sweet dreams, son.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee: Don't call me son. I'm a lawyer and an officer in the United States Navy... and you're under arrest, you son of a bitch... The witness is excused.

Pfc. Louden Downey: I don't understand. Colonel Jessup said he ordered the Code Red... What did we do wrong?... We did nothing wrong!
Lance Cpl. Harold W. Dawson: Yeah, we did. We were supposed to fight for people who couldn't fight for themselves. We were supposed to fight for Willie.

Lt. Daniel Kaffee: You don't need to wear a patch on your arm to have honor.
Lance Cpl. Harold W. Dawson: There's an officer on deck!

--
+++ Quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий