8 сент. 2023 г.

Living (2022)

Peter Wakeling: Well, I hope to make a difference. It may take a week or two though...
Rusbridger: Don't worry, old chap. This time of morning, it's a kind of rule. Not too much fun and laughter. Rather like church.

Margaret Harris: If your skyscraper isn't very tall, or, God forbid, you work so fast you don't have one at all, people will suspect you of not having anything very important to do.
Peter Wakeling: I see.
Margaret Harris: So here's your first rule, Mr Wakeling. Keep the skyscraper high.

Doctor Matthews: The results have come back. I'm afraid this time they're pretty conclusive... It's never easy, this.
Williams: Quite.

Williams: You see my problem. I withdrew this cash and came down here to... Enjoy myself, or live a little, as you put it. But I realise... I don't know how.

Hattie: If he's ill, then this ain't good for him.
Sutherland: Hattie, you don't understand. This man, until yesterday was living a shell of an existence, has sprung to life. Look. He even has a new hat.

Williams: Mr what?
Margaret Harris: Mr Zombie. I saw a film about it with what's her name. Erm... Zombies are sort of like Egyptian mummies, but they can walk and go about doing things. They're sort of dead but not dead.

Margaret Harris: Mr Williams... I'm... I'm just an ordinary person like everybody else. I... I have no such special quality. I try to stay cheerful.

Williams: What was it, your name for me?
Margaret Harris: Mr Zombie.
Williams: Yes. Mr Zombie. I wasn't always. When I was your age, from when I was this high, what I wanted... was to be a gentleman. Nothing grand. Just a rank and file sort of gentleman. I used to see them in the mornings, all lined up at the railway station, whenever I went there with my mother in their suits and hats, waiting on the platform to go into London. A gentleman like that. That's what... That's what I longed to be one day.
Margaret Harris: How did it happen?
Williams: I fancy it just crept up on me. Just one day proceeding the next. A small wonder I didn't notice... what I was becoming. And then I looked at you. And I remembered... what it was like to be alive like that.

Williams: I have no wish to belittle our playground... but I put it to you that it was, all the same... a small thing. And that it will, before long... go the way of most small things. It may fall into disrepair, or be superseded by some grander scheme. To speak plainly, we cannot assume to have erected a lasting monument. Should there come days when it's no longer clear to you to what end you are directing your daily efforts, when the sheer grind of it all threatens to reduce you to the kind of state in which I so long existed... I urge you then to recall our little playground, and the modest satisfaction that became our due upon its completion.


+ Quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий