29 сент. 2023 г.

Roman J. Israel, Esq. (2017)

Roman J. Israel, Esq.: Each one of us is greater than the worst thing we've ever done.

Roman J. Israel, Esq.: I'll take over. Ahem.
Lynn Jackson: No, you're not capable of continuing the practice. ...
Roman J. Israel, Esq.: Right. B-b-but I'll take over, because in the architecture of this firm, I am a pillar.
Lynn Jackson: Yes, and, Roman, I'd hoped to reward you for that.
Roman J. Israel, Esq.: Hope don't get the job done.
Lynn Jackson: What does that mean?
Roman J. Israel, Esq.: That means hope don't get the job done.
Lynn Jackson: Is it ego or delusion? Honestly, I... I never paid enough attention to you. This place runs more like a charity service than a law firm. It's run a deficit for years. We... his family, can no longer afford it. We're clearing the books.

George Pierce: William taught a term at Loyola. That's where we met. I was, uh, top of my class.
Roman J. Israel, Esq.: Potential's a bitch.

Roman J. Israel, Esq.: If I was freed from criminal work, I can get back to my roots. The bigger battles, organized mass action supported by sweeping legal challenges. With my skill and, uh, experience I'm-I'm quite certain I can get this organization right back in line with its core beliefs.
Maya Alston: This organization?
Roman J. Israel, Esq.: Yes.
Maya Alston: Yeah. I-I wasn't aware that we, um, had strayed.
Roman J. Israel, Esq.: Well, I'm not talking about nickel-and-dime reformism. I'm talking about igniting a sustained mass movement, supported by rule change and injunctive relief. And I could get results using class-action tactics. I'm talking about a return to using activist litigation creatively, defensively, counter-offensively.

Roman J. Israel, Esq.: As for my personal life, at a certain point I had to decide whether to have a family or career. I couldn't do both. So I stayed on the front lines. Now, I'm offering at this time... to work, exclusively... as your, um... long-haul, three-dimensional, revolutionary, in-house, full-time, paid advocate.

Jeff: What a freak.
Maya Alston: You stand on his shoulders.

Felicity Ellerbee: What's "Esquire" mean?
Roman J. Israel, Esq.: Uh, it's a designation, uh, in the legal arena. It's like a title of dignity. Slightly above gentleman, below knight.

George Pierce: I sent you an e-mail today to come to my office.
Roman J. Israel, Esq.: I'm sorry, but when people send e-mails, they think it goes straight to your brain.

Roman J. Israel, Esq.: So what I'm offering to you right out here now is a chance to partner with me on a piece of groundbreaking litigation I've been working on for over seven years now. Inside this case is arguably the most important legal brief in modern legal history. A sweeping federal challenge that could yield nothing less than a grand new era of social reform.

Roman J. Israel, Esq.: The Constitution guarantees us a right to a fair trial, but there can't be any fairness if 95 percent of all cases never get heard. Criminal cases never get heard by a jury or a judge.
     I am building a wholly original class-action lawsuit ... aimed at the heart of plea-bargain reform. I'm talking about reforming a system where prosecutors are trying to pull sentences out of their hat. Where guilt or innocence is being completely replaced by fear of having your day in court. Where people are being forced, George, to plead guilty under the threat of overly harsh and coercive sentences.
     It's a job for a legend, or someone who wants to be one.

Roman J. Israel, Esq.: Look at you. Just like I was... Just starting out your fight against the dominant tendencies of our society. Well, you better get ready for the commitment it takes to lead a resistant lifestyle. You better start forging the armor to withstand the temptation and the financial and emotional toll. Because when it comes to social injustice and judicial indifference and institutional racism and outright goddamn greed the overwhelming majority of the people in this country just don't give a damn.

Roman J. Israel, Esq.: Can't you see? It's clear as crystal. We filed the wrong brief in the wrong court to the wrong judge.

Roman J. Israel, Esq.: Freedom is something you can only give yourself.

Roman J. Israel, Esq.: I'm tired of doing the impossible for the ungrateful. I now have, uh, more... practical concerns.

Realtor: Well, what do you think?
Roman J. Israel, Esq.: I think that whatever we're chasing... you got it all here.
Realtor: I'm sorry?
Roman J. Israel, Esq.: When can I move in?

Maya Alston: Well, I was calling to see if you wanted to go for dinner.
Roman J. Israel, Esq.: With me? With you?
Maya Alston: I'm confused.
Roman J. Israel, Esq.: I... I'd like that. I'd like that. I'd like that, yeah. Um...
Maya Alston: Great.
Roman J. Israel, Esq.: Tonight? I mean... Tomorrow?
Maya Alston: Works for me.
Roman J. Israel, Esq.: It works for me. Tonight works for me, but I mean... All right. I'll... I... Tomorrow. I'll do tomorrow.

Roman J. Israel, Esq.: The real enemies aren't on the outside. They're within.

Roman J. Israel, Esq.: It's me, George. See, I didn't see it before because I never experienced the other side. I'm the defendant... and the plaintiff simultaneously. I file against myself, I represent myself, I convict myself, hereby expanding the full scope of the legal desert because the judgment's built in. The only thing left is forgiveness, and I grant that to myself.

Roman J. Israel, Esq.: An act doesn't make the person guilty unless the mind is guilty as well.

Roman J. Israel, Esq.: I know you get it, George. You have such a tremendous future. It's so bright, I... I swear, it's... It's blinding.


+ Quotes on the IMDb
+ Soundtracks

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий