21 окт. 2020 г.

Assassins

The Crown 1×9


Winston Churchill: Sutherland? Never heard of him.
Clemmie Churchill: He's got quite the reputation. He's a modernist.
Winston Churchill: Oh. Not sure I can trust a modernist with an English name. Give me a German modernist. Or an Italian. They're the ones who have to start all over again. Whatever would an Englishman want to change?

Porchey: I am right sometimes, you know. Even you said yourself that I have good instincts.
Queen Elizabeth II: You do. And I might well live to regret it.
Porchey: That, and a good many other things.

Winston Churchill: So, where do you want me? So, will we be engaged in flattery or reality? Are you going to paint me as a cherub or a bulldog?
Graham Sutherland: I imagine there are a great number of Mr. Churchills.
Winston Churchill: Yes, indeed there are. Well, as you search for him, perhaps I can implore you not to feel the need to be too accurate.
Graham Sutherland: Why? Accuracy is truth.
Winston Churchill: No. For accuracy, we have the camera. Painting is the higher art. I paint a bit myself, you know.
Graham Sutherland: Yes, sir, I know.
Winston Churchill: And I never let accuracy get in the way of truth if I don't want it to. If I see some landscape I like, and I wish there wasn't a factory in the background, I leave the factory out.

Winston Churchill: There's ugliness in the air, Anthony.
Anthony Eden: I have nothing of beauty to say.
Winston Churchill: Then say what you must, deposit your ugliness and go. I have more important things to do.
Anthony Eden: Very well. At some point, every leader must ask himself whether by staying in office, he is giving to the country, or taking from it. Helping or harming. And I would suggest that for some time now, you have been taking and harming.

Winston Churchill: Am I to be allowed a peek?
Graham Sutherland: No.
Winston Churchill: Well, why not? I could give you advice. After all, I know this face better than you do. If you've made the neck too thick or the arms too long, I can tell you.
Graham Sutherland: I find in general people have very little understanding of who they are. One has to turn a blind eye to so much of oneself in order to get through life.
Winston Churchill: And you see it as your responsibility to bring all that out into the open?
Graham Sutherland: Certainly. The good as well as the bad.
Winston Churchill: Just concentrate on the good, and all will be well.

Winston Churchill: You're not just painting me, you know. You're painting the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and everything that great office represents. Democracy. Freedom. The highest ideals of government and leadership. Just remember that.

Winston Churchill: I quite understand the need for concentration. Painting a picture is like fighting a battle. A bloody battle. In the gladiatorial fight to the death, the artist either wins or loses. Are you winning?
Graham Sutherland: I hope so.
Winston Churchill: Do you think I'll like it?
Graham Sutherland: I think that's possibly too much to ask for.

Winston Churchill: When your political colleagues are kind enough to present you with a portrait by an ambitious modernist... one has to ask oneself, "Is it a gift, or is it a curse?"

Winston Churchill: Mr. Sutherland, the artist, and I spoke a great deal during my sittings. I reminded him of the stakes involved. That his portrait was not just of me, but of the office I represent. Indeed, of our entire system of government. So, at long last, I look forward to unveiling this painting... A fine, patriotic piece of modern art.

Graham Sutherland: Please, sir. Don't overreact. Give it time. I showed those sketches to your wife throughout. She remarked on how accurate they were.
Winston Churchill: That is the whole point. It is not a reasonably truthful image of me!
Graham Sutherland: It is, sir.
Winston Churchill: It is not! It is cruel!
Graham Sutherland: Age is cruel! If you see decay, it's because there's decay. If you see frailty, it's because there's frailty. I can't be blamed for what is. And I refuse to hide and disguise what I see. If you're engaged in a fight with something, then it's not with me. It's with your own blindness.

Winston Churchill: He's right... I am that man in the painting. Wretched and decaying. I cannot go on.
Clemmie Churchill: You've said that before.
Winston Churchill: This time I mean it. I'm tired.
Clemmie Churchill: You've had enough?
Winston Churchill: I have, my love. This time I really have.
Clemmie Churchill: Good.

--
+ Quotes on the IMDb
+ Soundtrack

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий