8 окт. 2023 г.

Golda (2023)

Golda Meir: Why do you trust this man?
Zvi Zamir: He knows everything and he says war is coming.
Golda Meir: Yeah, well, of course, war is coming, but when?

Golda Meir: Without Dayan's support, there can be no mobilization and he is unconvinced that the threat is imminent. If he resigns, the government falls. It's that simple. And then the Arabs will most certainly attack.

Golda Meir: I suggest we mobilize 120,000 troops. Better to be safe than sorry, huh?
David 'Dado' Elazar: A hundred and twenty thousand men is not enough.
Moshe Dayan: It is.
David 'Dado' Elazar: It's not.
Moshe Dayan: It is.
David 'Dado' Elazar: It is not. We'll be outnumbered seven to one.
Golda Meir: The decision has been made. One hundred and twenty thousand. Thank you, gentlemen.

David 'Dado' Elazar: Four hours early...

— The Egyptians are shelling across the canal.
— Syrian jets are bombing the Golan.
— The Egyptians have fired a Kelt cruise missile at Tel Aviv.
Golda Meir: I'm not going to get under the table, but don't let me stop you.

Golda Meir: You all have a plan. Go back to your ministries and put it into effect with calm precision. Thank you, gentlemen. Moshe, we place our trust in you.

Golda Meir: We've got trouble with the neighbors again.
Henry Kissinger: I'm sorry to hear that. Uh, could I ask who fired the first shot?

Henry Kissinger: I'll start to apply diplomatic pressure.
Golda Meir: Please do. But be clear on one point. We will keep fighting until every Egyptian soldier has been driven back across the canal. They will gain nothing by force. If they want their land back, they must recognize the sovereign state of Israel.
Henry Kissinger: I understand.
Golda Meir: Thank you, Henry.
Henry Kissinger: Good luck, Golda.

Moshe Dayan: We lost. We lost the north. It's Armageddon. We lost the north. I alerted Dimona. The nuclear weapon. Yes, that's what I did.

Moshe Dayan: This is another Masada, Golda.

Golda Meir: The enemy has tasted blood. There is no reason for them to stop now. This is 1948 again. We are fighting for our lives.

Golda Meir: Sadat got his victory.
Moshe Dayan: Yes.
Golda Meir: But... does he know it?

Golda Meir: If the Arabs defeat us with Soviet weapons, what message does that send to the Free World, Henry?

Golda Meir: So, Arik. You want to cross the canal with 50 tanks and 2,000 men and take on two divisions. I believe that's 600 tanks and 30,000 men. Is that your plan?

Zvi Zamir: The Egyptians will renew their offensive in two days' time. The 4th and the 21st Division will cross the canal and join the attack.
Arik Sharon: If they crossed, Cairo will be undefended. No one could be that stupid.
Zvi Zamir: The Egyptians are about to make a terrible mistake. I suggest we let them make it.
Moshe Dayan: It would seem a ridiculous decision.
Golda Meir: No. I don't think so. Sadat is the first Arab leader to defeat the Jews in battle. So he's feeling euphoric. Invincible. Do you think a few sand dunes along the Suez Canal will seem enough when the gates of Jerusalem are beckoning? Knowing when you've lost is easy. It's knowing when you've won that's hard. Hmm! We'll wait for them to cross. Thank you, gentlemen.

Golda Meir: Arik. You'll get your chance. And for that, they will make you Prime Minister. Just remember, all political careers end in failure.

Moshe Dayan: I think we should think seriously about accepting a ceasefire.
Golda Meir: We are facing an unholy alliance between the Soviets and the Arabs that must be defeated. If our enemies stop fearing us, they will attack again and again and again.

Henry Kissinger: You know, they jammed the communication equipment on my plane.
Golda Meir: Hmm, of course. Those Russians. They brought nothing but misery to the world.
Henry Kissinger: Normally, I would agree with you. Of course, there is Tolstoy.
Golda Meir: Hmm!
Henry Kissinger: And Dostoyevsky.
Golda Meir: Misery on every page.

Henry Kissinger: I think it's important that you remember that I am first an American, second, I am Secretary of State, and third, I am a Jew.
Golda Meir: You forget that in Israel, we read from right to left.

Henry Kissinger: The Saudis have cut off our oil and crude has jumped from four dollars a barrel to 12, so... You can see that the American people will pay a high price for supporting Israel. Which is why we need the ceasefire agreement.

Golda Meir: I thought we were friends, Henry...
Henry Kissinger: We will always protect Israel.
Golda Meir: Like you did in '48? We had to get our weapons from Stalin. Stalin! Our survival is not in your gift. If we have to, we will fight alone.

Golda Meir: Let me tell you about the Russians, Henry. When I was a child in Ukraine, at Christmas time, my father would board up the windows of our house... To protect us from Cossacks who would get drunk and attack Jews. They would beat Jews to death in the street for fun. My father would hide us in the cellar. And we'd stay silent, hoping the killers would pass us by. My father's face, Henry. I will never forget that look. All he wanted was to protect his children. I am not that little girl hiding in the cellar!
Henry Kissinger: So, now you're going to fight with the Russians too, huh?
Golda Meir: You must choose, Henry. Side with me or I will create an army of orphans and widows.
Henry Kissinger: This is not the way to...
Golda Meir: I will slaughter them all. Whose side are you on? You must choose.

David 'Dado' Elazar: I have a message from Sadat. He's offering direct talks. And an exchange of POWs. He has given the Red Cross a list of names. He referred to you as the Prime Minister of Israel, Golda.
Golda Meir: He used that word, "Israel"?
David 'Dado' Elazar: Yes. Israel. He's recognizing Israel.

Golda Meir: Why?
Zvi Zamir: Who likes to be wrong?
Golda Meir: The listening system must be kept secret. No one must know about this.
Zvi Zamir: You will take the blame?.. I will defend your memory. I promise you that.

Golda Meir: My gut told me that war was coming. But I ignored it. I should've mobilized that night. All those boys who died, I will carry the pain of that to my grave... Please, don't write that down.


+ Quotes on the IMDb

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий